Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 20th, 2002, 12:11 PM
Yeoman

Default Who pays the t.a. commission? Cruise line or customer?

Having worked in the airline industry I am aware that the airlines pay the commission (or at least they used too.) I keep reading that the price of a cruise thru a t.a. should be the same price you would pay directly to the cruise line! How does a t.a. make their money, other than money made on travel insurance?
Sponsored Links
Old July 20th, 2002, 01:30 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Who pays the t.a. commission? Cruise line or customer?

The price of a cruise should ALWAYS be lower when purchased through a t/a than from the Cruise Line. If it is not, the problem is you have the wrong t/a. A t/a gets a commission from the cruise line and, depending on his volume with the line, lots of other value added percs. In addition, the t/a can block group space at lower rates to start with. All of this accrues to the benefit of the t/a's client. It is very very different from what the deal was with the airlines, including the way the t/a and/or client pays for the cruise. There is no ARC at work here.

Post Edited (07-20-02 13:31)
Old July 20th, 2002, 07:26 PM
Keith and Judy

Default Re: Re: Who pays the t.a. commission? Cruise line or custome

so you are tell me if i am paying what i can get from the cruise line i am paying to much$?
Old July 21st, 2002, 12:05 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Who pays the t.a. commission? Cruise line or customer?

Exactly! What the cruiseline sells the cabin for is what the TA would sell it for IF they kept the full commission price. I am not a TA so I can't really say what percentage that is but just for fun say it is 10%. The cruiseline will sell you the cruise for say $1000, the TA can buy this same cruise for 10% less at $900, he passes on say 5% rebate of his commission or $50 to you and sells you the cruise for $950 and makes $50. Now understand that these prices are just made up and I have no idea what the percentages are but this is the general gist of what happens. This is why most of us will tell you that you can always get a better price through a TA than by booking directly. Like Ernie says, there is a floating % for commissions and better pricing for groups etc so the amount of savings varies as well as the amount the TA is willing to make. IF a TA gives you a price the same or higher than you can buy directly through the cruiseline then the TA is keeping the full commission and maybe even more and you are not getting a very good deal and booking through the wrong TA IMHO.
Jim
Community Staff Leader

Old July 21st, 2002, 08:55 PM
First Mate

I am a travel agent. I book the cruise through the cruiseline. It is the same price as if you booked it yourself through the cruiseline. If you book it the cruiseline doesn't have to pay 10% commission, if I book it they do. What I choose to do with my commssion is up to me. If I want to take part of my commission and give back to the client as an incentive then I do. I get the same price as most online cruise agencies. If an agency does a huge volume of cruises then the cruiseline could be paying them as much as 16% commission, so they can give back 6% to client and still keep 10% or vise versa. My feeling is that good service and being there to help and guide has value. My clients have my home phone number and they know they can reach me day and night. Many online agencies have very poor service. They can afford to give back to clients as they are not paying out a lot of salaries.
Old July 21st, 2002, 08:59 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Who pays the t.a. commission? Cruise line or cus

Absolutely... if you bought your cruise from the cruise line directly, you paid more than you should have for the same accommodation. Find yourself a good t/a and check it out!
Old July 21st, 2002, 09:02 PM
Admiral

Well said, Jean. And, there are other price breaks available to the agency not available to someone booking directly with the line... making the basic price lower even without a rebate... plus plus plus.

As you say, the key word is "value", not price... but if you purchase directly from the cruise line, you get neither.
Old July 21st, 2002, 11:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

" Many online agencies have very poor service "

I have repeatedly said booking directly with a cruise line makes no sense.. EVER. And while I agree with MOST of what Jean says... I DO NOT think the portion of Jean's post which I quoted above holds true.
There may be some online agencies which have poor service, but I would say they are at equalled in ineptitude by just as many brick and mortar agents!!!

It's unfortunately pretty much an unregulated industry... other than customer satisfaction, and therefore repeat business, dictating an agencies business life.

The key is to find a GREAT agent, whether online or brick and mortar, and then hang on to them.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old July 22nd, 2002, 09:58 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Who pays the t.a. commission? Cruise line or

I HAVE A T/A AND I AM PAYING WHAT THE CRUISE LINE OFFERS WHEN I CALL THEM? SO DO YOU THINK IT IS RIGHT TO SAY SOMTHING TO MY T/A. I HAVE NOT BEEN HAPPY W/ HER FROM THE GET GO. I THINK ITS TO LATE TO CHANGE T/'AS?
THANKS
Old July 23rd, 2002, 01:04 PM
Admiral

Judy,
You should be paying less than what you would pay if booked directly through the line. Yes I would talk to them and see what kind of a better price they can offer, if they say this is the best they will do then you have the wrong TA and need to find another. You can always change TA's up until the final payment is due. There are penalty fees that are sometimes imposed for cancelling you cruise so make sure you are outside of that timeframe. You TA should not charge cancellation fees above what is imposed by the cruiseline, again, if they do you have the wrong TA as many do not. Research is a huge key in getting the most for your money. Cruisemates is a great place to start that research not only looking for the cruise you want and what is available, but also finding out what prices are currently going for and having that knowledge when you decied on what TA you wish to finally book with.
Jim
Community Staff Leader

Old July 23rd, 2002, 03:52 PM
First Mate

WELL I DO NOT KNOW WHERE TO START W/ T/A PROBLEMS. MY 1 TIME I SIGNED UP FOR A CRUSE WAS A DIFFERENT BOAT THEN IT WAS CARNIVAL THEN THEY WERE CHANGING WHERE THEY WERE STOPING ATAFTER WE PUT A DEPOSIT DOWN, SO I/WE WANTED TO STOP AT THE PLACES THEY 1 ST SAID THEY WERE GOING TO THE KEYS AND COZUMEL.SO I TOLD MY T/A I WANT TO LOOK AT DIFFERENT CRUISE LINE, THAT ONE NO LONGER IS WHAT WE WANTED TO DO.NO HELP AT ALL FROM HER TO FIND A DIFFERENT CRUSE LINE (OR EVEN STAY W/ CARNIVAL IF IT HAD WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR) SO WE SPENT A HOLE DAY OUR SELF LOOKING.SHE DID NOT EVEN OFFER BOOKS NOTHING.WE FOUND ROYAL CARIBBEAN, SO OUR AIR HAD TO CHANGE NOW, THEN SHE WILL BE GETTING HER % ON THE AIR FAIR 2 TIMES, I HAD TO BE NASTY ABOUT THAT DEAL, THEN I CALL THE SAME COMPANY SHE WORKS FOR BUT A FEW MILES FROM THIS T/A JUST TO COMPARE PRICE FROM WITHIN ( I HAD A FEELING I WAS GETTING HOSED) YES I WAS SHE GAVE ME A PRICE 150.00 PP HIGHER. I HAD TO AGAIN SAY SOMTHING SO I GET THE LOWER PRICE. THEN A FEW WEEKS AGO THE PRICE OF THE CRUISE DROPS, I HAD TO DO THE LOOKING TO FIND THIS OUT AND I CALL AND SHE DID NOT WANT TO BUT SHE DID GIVE ME THE LOWER PRICE IN A CRAPPY CABIN SPOT, SO I HAD TO AGAIN SAY SOMTHING AND SHE SAID I CAN NOT GET THAT CATOGERY, I HAD ALLREADY CALLED ROYAL CARIBBEAN AND THEY SAID YES I CAN SO THE T/A SAID SHE NEEDED TO CALL ROYAL CARIBBEAN AND GET BACK TO ME SHE DID I DID GET THE CABIN I WANTED AFTER ALL THATITS LIKE SHE KNOWS NOTHING.( THE T/A SAID IF PRICES EVER FALL LOWER THEN $20.00 ON CRUISE OR AIR SHE WILL CALL ME, NOTHING!!) THEN I CHECK ON THE AIR AND THAT TOO WENT DOWN 440.00 P/P I HAVE TO CALL AND GET A REFUND FOR THE AIR. I AM DOING ALL OF THE T/A WORK I AM SO UPSET WITH HER WHAT GOOD IS SHE AND NOW ITS TO LATE TO CHANGE. HOW AM I EVEN GOING TO ENJOY MYSELF? AND GOD FORBID IF I DO NEED TO CALL HER WHEN WE ARE ON THE CRUISE FOR SOME REASON, I KNOW WE ARE ON OUR OWN, ITS HER LOSS ,WE PLAN TO FLY AGAIN NEXT YEAR AND I WILL NEED TO LOOK FOR A T/A THAT CAN DO THERE JOB. SO I AM GETTING THE CRUISE FOR THE PRICE OF WHAT IT IS WHAN TYOU CALL ROYAL CARIBBEAN I HATE TO DEAL WITH HER.
BURKHALTER TRAVEL AND CRUISE DO NOT USE!!!!!THEY ARE NOT THERE TO HELP!!!!THEY WANT THE $$$$$$
Old July 23rd, 2002, 05:58 PM
Bill & Debbie

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who pays the t.a. commission? Cruise lin

judy wrote:
I HAVE NOT BEEN HAPPY W/ HER FROM THE GET GO. I THINK ITS
> TO LATE TO CHANGE T/'AS?
> THANKS

Jerk the booking from her! She's your employee! She is supposed to provide you a service. You're supposed to LIKE the service she provides. If you're not comfortable with her, why would you leave her responsible for several thousands of your dollars? Check --bestpricecruises.com (or any other on line quote sight) -- and take that price to another TA. If she's like my TA she will BEAT the price!
Old July 25th, 2002, 08:10 AM
BillG

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Who pays the t.a. commission? Cruise line or

Whoa, my ears are ringing with all that shouting ;-)
As other posters have already stated, if you are not satisfied with your travel agent, find another. There are a lot of good, reputable, reliable and knowledgeable agents out their both on the net and in brick and mortar travel agencies. Check with friends etc. and you should be able to find one that can meet your needs. However, some things such as itinerary changes are beyond an agent's control and you have to realize that external events can cause your ship to alter its routes and ports of call, even at the last moment. If you absolutely have to visit a particular port of call, you should plan on getting there by some other means than a cruise.
As far as the original question as to who pays travel agents their commission, ultimately you do, whether the travel agency retains part of your payment when they pay the cruiseline or the shipline issues them a commission check after you sail. If you book directly from the cruiseline, however, don't expect to have them lower your price by the amount of any commission that otherwise would have gone to a travel agent.
Remember, also that in dealing with a good travel agent you are getting something more than an order taker, you are paying for a travel professional whose services add value to your trip, and who should represent your interests should any problems arise prior to or during the cruise.
Old July 25th, 2002, 04:49 PM
Beginner

Default YIKES-Did I make a mistake?

I first reserved a cruise through RCCI. The cost for an inside cat. K cabin-$629. I then called an agent and asked for the same catergory and told her I needed her lowest deal (I didn't tell her what RCCI offered). She quoted me the same price. The cruise is this Oct and almost full, so she said and that the room is already a special so there is no more discount and she doubts if the price will drop. I just booked today and paid it in full. Should I have not done this and should I use a different agent next time?

Stressed Cruiser
Old July 27th, 2002, 09:29 AM
Keith and Judy

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who pays the t.a. commission? Cruise lin

so i cn just get up and switch to a different t/a?just find one and tell the t/a i do not care for i have switched? then what ?
Old July 30th, 2002, 10:56 AM
Sailfish

Default I'd rebook!

Judy:

We originally booked our cruise directly with Royal Caribbean in January, and before our deposit was due, I researched prices through a variety of travel sites via the internet to see if we could save a few bucks on the price of our cruise. We transferred our booking to an internet cruise-only agency and have been thus far very pleased with the price. We have cruised before, so service related issues were not important to us, but price was.

I believe you are on the same cruise as us (December 15th Enchantment). You still have until mid-October to rebook your cruise (unless your agent imposes a cancellation penalty). Remember, RCI does not have a cancellation penalty, but your agent might. Read the fine print on your invoice. Feel free to email me and I'll give you my agents number. She's been very helpful and even contacted me when the price of our cruise went down.