Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 24th, 2002, 10:59 AM
Paul Jaffe

Default Greetings from Brilliance of the Seas

I am writing this from the cabin Internet connection on the brand-new Brilliance of the Seas. We are presently on the third day out, at anchor offshore Plymouth (UK).

I have been taking a number of digital pictures of our daily shore activities and they are being posted at:

http://public.fotki.com/paulmj/normandy_ireland/

For example, yesterday we took the very worthwhile excursion from Le Havre to the Normandy beaches, Today we visited Plymouth, a 2-hour attraction with a 12-hour stay.
Tomorrow, Cork and Dublin the day after.

I will add pictures each day. Some of the images have been stitched into wide panoramics. All were taken with a 4 megapixel Canon S-40 digital camera.

If anyone has any comments and/or questions about the ship (it is indeed Brilliant!) or the ports, connections, etc. I will be happy to answer if you send me an email.

Paul Jaffe
Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2002, 01:30 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to suzanne
Default Re: Greetings from Brilliance of the Seas

Wow!!!!! Im jealous! What do you think of the Brilliance? Im sure I am not the only one who would love to hear a few thoughts about her. Sounds like you are enjoying yourself!Am off to check out your pictures. Looking forward to hearing more,

Suzanne, who will be on the Brilliance in March....a....long.....time.....away.......
Old July 24th, 2002, 01:46 PM
Paul Jaffe

Default Re: Re: Greetings from Brilliance of the Seas

What do I think? Sitting here on a brand-new ship, the wood varnish still smells fresh. No feeling of motion whatever, as I watch Land's End on the SW coast of England slip by outside the cabin window. Dinner an hour away. Surfin' the Net and exchanging emails while moving along in the middle of the sea.

What is there to think? :-) What else is there to do that is better?
Old July 24th, 2002, 01:52 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to suzanne
Default Re: Re: Re: Greetings from Brilliance of the Seas

Right....go ahead and make me even more jealous.... Sounds perfect to me! Hope you are having good weather...at least you werent here last week to experience the storms.

Suzanne, who lives a hop, skip and a jump away from the North Sea.

PS....whats for dinner? (she says this while trying to saw her way through a frozen pizza that was in the oven a bit too long.)
Old July 24th, 2002, 02:04 PM
Paul Jaffe

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Greetings from Brilliance of the Seas

What's for dinner? Five choices: chicken, pork, beef, seafood, and some kind of pasta dish. You decide you don't want any of that....they have steak and broiled salmon on the menu every night.

We insist on a shrimp cocktail (or two) every night as an appetizer. Also a Caesar salad, every night. They can serve all that toher foo-foo stuff to the new arrivals, but we know what we want and we ask for it.

By the time we tip the waiter, he's worked above and beyond for us. It's just part of the game.

I have to jump off now and get ready for dinner. :-)
Old July 24th, 2002, 02:40 PM
Sue2

Default Re: Greetings from Brilliance of the Seas

Hi Paul!
We are thinking to cruise the Brilliance next year also. Any thoughts about the kids area? Is there a kids pool? Arcade area? How is the adult pool area? Quiet?Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Enchantment 2000
Majesty 2001
Explorer of the Seas Christmas 2002
Old July 24th, 2002, 04:16 PM
Lorraine Sadler

Paul

We sail on Brilliance 3 August to Scandinavia/Russia. We have an outside cabin with private balcony. Are the cabin sizes roomy? How would you rate the entertainment? This will be our 12th cruise--5th on RCCL. Am anxiously looking forward to departure date. Thanks for your comments.
Old July 24th, 2002, 05:13 PM
Paul Jaffe

The pool is a non-event on this cruise because it's cold outside, barely 70.

I can't tell you about kid's stuff. I'm sorry. Wherever I see kids congregating on a cruise ship, I do a 180 and head for the exit.

Paul
Old July 24th, 2002, 05:17 PM
Paul Jaffe

The cabin size is fine with us. All the cabins, inside, outside and balcony are all pretty much identical. In fact, the balcony cabins are a little smaller, because there has to be some space given to the balcony, access, etc.

I think you will find the cabin size satisfactory. But then again, we don't live in a 5000 sq. ft. house, and we know couples who could never get by with less.
Old July 25th, 2002, 09:12 AM
Lorraine Sadler

Thanks, Paul. I don't live in a 5,000 sqft home either; however, it's always nice to have a little extra space in the room. I have found the cabin size on RCL is smaller than an equivalent on Holland America. Naturally, it's the itinerary of the cruise that is most important. You mentioned the cool weather so I look forward to using the solarium pool. Our non-stop flight from Los Angeles leaves in a week and bags are being packed with care. I'll throw in a light sweater or windbreaker. I appreciate your comments--they're helpful in our plannning.
Old July 25th, 2002, 10:39 AM
Paul Jaffe

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Greetings from Brilliance of the Seas

We've been on older RCI ships (i.e. Sovereign) and found the standard cabin to be skimpy. Among the newer RCI ships as well as those of Princess and Celebrity, we find the cabin size to be adequate and very similar to each other. We've never sailed on HAL so we have no basis of comparison.

Regardless, the cruise and the ports are great. I'm certain you will have a fine time. I'll be posting up some more pictures from today's stopover in Cork later on.

Paul
Old July 26th, 2002, 08:52 PM
DeColores

i have read from others that the sofa beds are typically uncomfortable. We are booked for a Cat D with sofa bed for our daughter. If you happen to talk to anyone who is using a sofa bed I would love to know if we should give up our bump out balcony cabin with sofa bed for a balcony with pullman.
Loved yoru pictures of Ireland, you have me thinking about taking a trip there. Was you cruise a transatlantic? I don't know if I could handle crossing the Atlantic with that many days at sea. THey are my favorite part but more than two at a time and I might go a bit crazy.

Enjoy your cruise, thanks for the info.
Old July 27th, 2002, 02:54 AM
Paul Jaffe

The sofa bed looks to me like one you would see anywhere. I can't rate its comfort, but for a child it would probably be OK. One of the downsides is that when it is opened, it would make it very difficult to get around the cabin.

I would suggest you reconsider whether you really need a balcony at all on a cruise in northern Europe. The temperatures, especially in the evening, are in the mid-60s at best, and with the ship under way, the wind chill makes it impossible to stay out on the balcony for more than for a few minutes.

Regarding crossing the Atlantic, we've never done that. However, we've traveled twice from Ensenada to Hawaii, a 4-day crossing. Once was on the Legend of the Seas and once in the Vision of the Seas. In both cases, we found the ship rode well and there was no discomfort to us. I can't speak for how it may have affected others.
Old July 27th, 2002, 11:16 PM
DeColores

Thanks Paul, we won't be doing Europe, we sail in April in the Caribbean. The sofa bed will only be out for sleeping so it shouldn't be a problem. We did the Explorer with two kids in an inside stateroom so we are really excited about the Cat D with only one kid.

Enjoying your photo's enjoy your cruise

Mary
Old August 1st, 2002, 08:14 PM
Passenger

Paul, I would like to know if you can check to see if your Hotel Manager is Bob Tavadia. If it is, I would love to have you send him a message....from Marcia and Burt...and mention my screenname. (That is, if you are still on the ship.)
We have sailed on the Radiance which is the sister ship. We will sail on the Radiance again in January because we love a Southern Itinerary.
Please e-mail me.
Thanks