Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 24th, 2002, 12:07 PM
Beginner

Default Dinner Menu for picky eater

My family (myself, husband & 2 teenagers) will be taking our first cruise over Spring Break of 2003 on Voyager and I'm already having fun thinking about all the particulars. These boards have been a wonderful resource for me! One area that I haven't seen addressed is the dinner selections in the main dining room for a very picky daughter, aged 14. I realize that she won't go hungry as she has other choices outside of the main dining room but I'd rather not have her there with a roll and nothing else throughout dinner. She has no sense of adventure for trying new foods so the only "restaurant" she eats out at is McDonalds (chicken nuggets and french fries--she prefers those cold--yuck!) and that's it! She eats no meat other than the above mentioned nuggets so likes to call herself a vegetarian, but since she hates vegetables, we've renamed her a "starch-etarian"! Any information on a typical dinner and the selections offered would be much appreciated!

Cindi
Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2002, 12:34 PM
Dean Renner

Default Re: Dinner Menu for picky eater

Cindi,

As a vegetarian myself, I too, was concerned about menu options!

But I found that RCCL provides many choices, including pasta entrees, soups, salads, rice, etc.

As far as a typical dinner, there are usually 5 courses provided. First is a small fruit or vegetable bowl (think antipasta), second is usually a chilled soup (outstanding!) or salad, third is usually a pasta dish, fourth is usually the main entree, and fifth is dessert!!

I can't imagine that your daughter wouldn't find something that she would like and that would fill her up.

Happy cruising,

Dean
Old July 24th, 2002, 12:55 PM
Admiral

If you go to their web site you will see a sample of their menu. However, it is only a sample.

I suppose if you asked the waiter he could make sure your daughter will get chicken fingers and fries everynight. Especially if you ask with a tip in your hand.

Regards,
Thomas
Old July 24th, 2002, 01:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Cindi,
I'm sure your daughter will find something on the menu that will please her, if not your waiter will make sure to get something for her that she will eat, they are there to please, and they do their darnest!

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 24th, 2002, 02:42 PM
Sue2

If I remember correctly they do servie chicken nuggets from the kids meal.
Old July 24th, 2002, 04:10 PM
Passenger

Royal Caribbean actually has an entire menu just for children and I believe they have chicken nuggets on that menu. I don't think you will have a problem finding things for her. My daughter is 3 and will only eat "kid food" but after I saw the kids menu I wasn't concerned.
Old July 24th, 2002, 05:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

There is a Johnny Rockets on board. Your daughter can get a burger, fries and milk shake. I am sure that all kids love this.
Old July 24th, 2002, 06:03 PM
RangerCindy

Default Re: Re: Dinner Menu for picky eater

On our last cruise there was a large extended family (about 12-14 people) seated at 2 tables near us. The waiters brought the young children hamburgers, fries or chicken strips EVERY NIGHT. I am confident that after the first night your child's preference will be ready for her without even having to ask. They bent over backwards for my dietary restrictions!
Old July 25th, 2002, 10:44 AM
Beginner

Thanks For this information--it's exactly what I was looking for!
Old July 25th, 2002, 10:45 AM
Beginner

Thanks for the advice for going to their website to look at the sample menu. I did and it was very helpful!
Old July 25th, 2002, 11:17 AM
browezilla

Default Re: Re: Re: Dinner Menu for picky eater

As soon as you can, preferrably before dinner, find out who your head waiter is and explain the situation to him/her. They will ensure that your daughter has appropriate food. I've seen this done several times in the past with great success (normally at the first dinner) for others with special dietary desires.

Most cruiselines also offer vegetarian meals on the menu, and available nightly a regular Chicken Breast and a Steak.

But good gosh, McD's chicken nuggets!?!? If she can eat those, you would think almost anything would be palatable :-)
Old July 26th, 2002, 08:09 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Dinner Menu for picky eater

The area assistant maitre d', if asked, will bring you the next night's menu every day. If she see's something she likes, fine. If not, you can order something special for her (within reason). Hopefully, it will be a broadening experience for her and she may find that she likes more things than she thought. Enjoy and let us know how it turns out.
Old July 27th, 2002, 08:53 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Dinner Menu for picky eater

I totally agree with you, browezilla! I guess I should not have said that she's picky as that would imply some ability to distinguish quality of faire offered and that's definitely not the case!

Once again, thanks everyone for your suggestions!
Old August 1st, 2002, 11:56 AM
Passenger

if you go to www.travelco.com they have ship menus, sum ships even have seperate menus for vegetarians, and kids. hope this helps!