Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 29th, 2002, 10:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Only a few hours in San Juan?

We will sail on the Enchantment of the Seas on 9/29/02 (exactly two months from now!) and our first stop is in San Juan from 4 PM to 10 PM. We do have late seating for dinner, but even so, any suggestions for what we can do or see between 4 and 7:30 PM?

My husband has had a previous opportunity to visit El Yunque Rain Forest and we would love to do that, but don't think there will be time.

Any tips will be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2002, 07:03 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Only a few hours in San Juan?

Hi Beth,
No, don't think you have enough time or daylight to get out to the rainforest. Its possible you can visit one of the forts that are close by the pier, but I'm not sure what time they close. You can always just take a walk around Old San Juan and see the sights there, but if you can get into El Morro, very interesting history there and the view is wonderful.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 30th, 2002, 09:07 AM
Cruise Maniac

we just walked around town. if i can remembe correctly, there are casinios in some of the hotels too.
Old July 30th, 2002, 12:56 PM
hct

On Celebrityy we had the same time slot. There were two available excursions as I recall- The Rhumba show & an evening tour of San Juan. We took the tour. It was great--saw El Morro with a stop there for viewing, photos & bookstore, stopped in old San Juan and circled around other parts of the city. Had a great tour driver who could negotiate the narrow lanes & bypasss local traffic (there was a special event that day so the streets were really a mess!) Even tho' I'd been there befoer, the tour was fun & got back just a bit late but in time for the late dinner seating., Some folks headed right back out to the Rhumba preferred the rainforest but not possible with that schedule. You can walk around but wil lsee more with the tour.
Old July 31st, 2002, 01:46 AM
RangerCindy

Default Re: Re: Only a few hours in San Juan?

We went to an authentic Flamenco show at one of the hotels - it was not a RCCL cruise so I don't know if it is on the excursion list. We were too late returning for dinner - but it was WONDERFUL - felt like we expereinced the real cultural flavor of the island.
I think there was a late nite buffet on deck that night so we just ate there later.
Even if you just walk around old San Juan you will have fun - I got some gorgeous table linens for a steal! Have a great trip!
Cindy
Old August 2nd, 2002, 07:06 AM
keaton

We are on RC's Explorer 10/5 also in San Juan 4:00-10:00 and they are actually offering 6 ship excursions including old city tour, old & new city tour, horseback riding on beach, kayaking and even the rain forest tour! I would love to take the kids to see the rain forest but have visions of us wondering around in the jungle at night - so you guys think it will be dark also?
Old August 2nd, 2002, 08:09 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Only a few hours in San Juan?

Are you sure they are offering you 6 options? If I go to the RCI web site, select shore excursions and select purchase, I then enter our exact cruise and our booking number (available from your TA). For our cruise, it then lists only 2 choices.

I tried to look up the excursions for Explorer, but can't get there without the booking number, so you will have to do that. And maybe you did.

I don't know about the sunset times in the fall, but you should be able to look at one of the weather sites on line and get that info. I do know that it takes about an hour each way to get to the rainforest.

Have fun!
Beth
Old August 2nd, 2002, 11:24 AM
keaton

Default Re: Re: Re: Only a few hours in San Juan?

Yes, I have already purchased several excursions, just as you described. By the way, went back and looked and the 6th excursion offered is the Bacardi rum tour. Funny that they aren't offering it to you as well?!?
Old August 4th, 2002, 03:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Not much to do on that short a time. Traffic in Puerto Rico is brutal as I travel their on business. El Yunque is only open until 5:00pm. The Bacardi tour is good also but only open until 5:00. You can either walk around the old city and visit El Morro fort. My recommendation if you don't mind spending the money is try some real Puerto Rican food for dinner at a restaurant in the Condado (15 minute cab ride) Ajiili Mojilli. This is the best restaurant for authentic food I have eaten. 787-725-9195. You will need a reservation. Try the mofongo and their sangria is very good. You can walk around that area also.

Scott
SRS1259@aol.com