Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 4th, 2002, 10:28 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Ft. Lauderdale airport

We are planning a cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale and want to make our own air arrangements. Is there an airport in Ft. Lauderdale that we would fly too? Is it better to arrive a day early (if so where is a good place to stay)? How far from the airport to the pier and what is the best way to get there? Should we buy RC transfers or find our own transportation when we get there?
Sponsored Links
Old August 4th, 2002, 03:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Ft. Lauderdale airport

I would buy the transfer even though it is a short cab ride. Due to security at the port it may be easier on the bus from the cruise line. There is an airport in Ft. Lauderdale. If you have never been to Ft. Lauderdale I would recoomend coming a day or 2 early. Many hotels near the airport or beach.

Scott

Old August 4th, 2002, 04:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Ft. Lauderdale airport

Hi KB,
Actually the Ft. Lauderdale airport is a 10 minute taxi/bus ride to the pier, they actually are right next to each other. We used the transfers the last time, but in the future I'd just grab a cab, that way you don't have to wait for the entire bus to fill up and its so close, the taxi fare should be a lot less than the cost of the transfers. You also have to now pick up all your own luggage and take them with you, so it makes no difference if you are going by bus or cab.

If at all possible its always nice to fly into the port a day early depending on where you are coming from, but its also do-able to fly in the day of the cruise, we did that too and had cruise/air which had us arrive 2 hours before the ship was leaving, where I would of booked an earlier flight, but they knew are status/flight #'2 etc., so they did not leave without us, although we were one of the last cruisers onboard, check in was a breeze, we were the only ones checking in at that time :-)

Enjoy your cruise!

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 4th, 2002, 09:13 PM
Mary Martin

We are sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale September 8th on the Enchantment of the Seas.
We lucked out and caught a deal with Southwest airlines for $78.00 RT from Nashville.
We are flying in a day early and found a deal with Best Western on the beach for like $70.00 a night, they have shuttles that will take you to the airport cheaper than it would be to take a cab. I like going down the day before because then we don't have to worry about the plane being late and missing the ship. Plus it gives us a chance to catch a little sun before we get on the ship so we won't look so pastey for the welcome aboard photos .
Happy sailing,
Mary Martin
Old August 9th, 2002, 07:46 AM
chris richardson

It is better to fly and make your own air arrangements. delta.com is what we use. I am flying into there in october. I am going a day early. my ship leaves out of lauderdale on the 5th. We are staying at the bestwestern yacht and harbor club. rooms are very reasonable. they provide a shuttle service free of charge from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the cruise lines. the only thing you need to worry about is getting back to the airport. you can take a taxi or bus when you get off of the ship you can check out the internet sites for all. have fun
Old October 10th, 2002, 08:15 AM
First Mate

Default Ft. Lauderdale airport

Flying in the day our ship leaves. Couldn't do better cause we're using FF miles to save a few bucks, and its the week going into Thanksgiving. Scheduled to arrive at noon, which is 5 hrs before sailing. Since you didn't make air reservations thru the cruise line, how do you communicate to them what your air arrangements are? Is it true that a cab will cost us $10 a head (there will be 4 of us) from Ft Laud airport to the port?
Thanks!