Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 15th, 2002, 03:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Need Advice RCI vs Carnival

Hi there,

We are past RCI cruisers. Contemplating cruising Carnival Victory or Triumph Feb 2003 Western route. Can anybody provide input on comparisons of the Cruise lines, will we be sorry? Loved RCI, just looking for something different? Any input appreciated.

Merry
Sponsored Links
Old August 15th, 2002, 03:43 PM
Happy Camper

Default Re: Need Advice RCI vs Carnival

Which RCL ship - was it the Voyager class? I haven't been on them but I bet there is no comparison anywhere! Other than that we have been on the Legend of the Seas as well as 3 other RCL ships and about 6 Carnival ships some repeatedly. We were on the Destiny - same as Triumph. So to compare say the Legend of the Seas (Vision class ships) to the Destiny (Destiny class ships) the differences you might notice are as follows:

Destiny (Triumph) has a separate disco - RCL has a Viking Crown lounge that converts.

Destiny - more night life, many people up and lots of lounges and different things going on

Destiny - cheaper shore excurisons

Destiny - lower average age. About 40-50 on Carnival

Destiny - larger staterooms

Destiny - more like a Vegas atmosphere than the elegant one on Royal. More lights and glitz.

Destiny is much bigger than the RCL Vision class ships and there will be a lot more walking - get a room pretty central - we didn't and it took forever to get anywhere and back.

Destiny pool is set up in a terrace format - I do not like it - all around a raised stage. I really don't like this as it limits the people who can participate in the events - like the night time deck parties. I do like the slide they have on their pools though!

Destiny - the night time deck parties have a lot more people who attend them

Destiny - food. This is different - good or bad is preference to that particular person. We think it has more taste and less bland than RCl but it has been a while since we were on RCL - we will be sailing with them again in 2 months. By the way Carnival has the BEST PIZZA in the cruise lines we've been on - CCL, RCL, and NCL.

I really think Carnival is worth a try - we switched from RCL and it has taken 6 years to go back to them. We have very much enjoyed Carnival and will sail with them again - most of the time they are cheaper than RCL but this time we got a good deal on RCL out of our home port of Galveston and could not pass it up. Try it.. Debbie
Old August 15th, 2002, 04:13 PM
Roy

Have been on Voyager of the Sea to the Western Caribbean.......There is nothing like the new RCI ships.....haven't been able to stop traveling since. Make sure you get a balcony cabin....abolutely worth the money.
The biggest difference is probably the people. RCI caters to a more family type of crowd while Carnival is geared more toward the single, partying crowd - not that there is anything wrong with that !!!!!!
Old August 15th, 2002, 04:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Need Advice RCI vs Carnival

To me it is a pretty simple choice. If you were going to dinner would you go to Morton's Of Chicago (RCCL) or McDonald's (Carnival)? The choice is yours. The choices are night and day.

Old August 16th, 2002, 12:38 AM
First Mate

Merry:
The Carnival Victory is an excellant choice. I have done 9 cruises and Victory was the BEST ever! I would also like to sail Triumph. I would definately recommend trying one of Carnival's newer ships.
Old August 16th, 2002, 12:02 PM
hct

What do you think abt an Alaska cruise on Carnival Spirit compared to RC or Celebrity or Princess? Have only cruised Celeb. & Rci but might like a change--we are in our 50s, like the day trips, pool & spa & some night life but t anyhting too wild or loud!
Old August 16th, 2002, 12:06 PM
kimntroy

I have cruised both Carnival and RCI and found RCI to be far superior in service and food. My food on carnival was inedible several nights and service really lacked. I tried for the entire 7 days to get a room service menu and never received one despite by cabin steward stating he would steal one from another room. However, Carnival was a much better deal and was an okay cruise for the price. If possible, choose RCI.
Old August 16th, 2002, 12:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

See my reply under this heading.

Old August 17th, 2002, 11:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Have done 8 RCI's cruises and decided to try CARNIVAL for the kids. We chose the VICTORY and traveled during spring break (March 15) of this year. Simpy put, would NEVER cruise CARNIVAL again. No complaints about the food as there is plenty of variety there but the lack of onboard activities and "fun" things to do was totally lacking.
Had read post after post that the VICTORY had the BEST CRUISE DIRECTOR EVER.
I found that very far from the truth. Anyway, the best thing I enjoyed on the VICTORY was the fact that there are washers and dryers and I did our family of 4's entire wash in one night that tell's you something. Even the kids were bored. Price is not always a factor and RCI is definitely worth a bit more. But shop around as prices vary widely and sometimes RCI beats Carnival. Diligence in the search is key. And cruising is always the better than not cruising....
Old August 18th, 2002, 12:35 AM
First Mate

Well, as usual it comes down to what you enjoy. Some of the things I've read here are totally off base. I like both cruise lines. Have sailed Carnival three times (Destiny twice, Spirit once) and Royal Caribbean twice (Majesty and Voyager) with a third in December (Radiance).

Royal Caribbean definitely has the classier ships, but for us the foor is MUCH better on Carnival. On both RCCL cruises the food was just OK. Pizza on Carnival is the absolute best. Anyone who says otherwise just doesn't like pizza.

Entertainment on Voyager class ships and Destiny class ships are similar due to the large state of the art threaters they have. Spirit's shows were awful and so were those on Majesty.

Carnival is NOT a cruise line just for singles. There are tons of kids and families, just like on Royal Caribbean.

As far as the specialty restaurants go on Voyager vs. Spirit, I disagree with most people and say that Portofino is better than Nouveau Supper Club, even though Nouveau had the best filet mignon I;ve ever eaten.

On the three Carnival cruises I've been on, I've never experienced the drunks that so many Carnival haters seem to mention. And I would know, since I don't drink at all and hate to be around those who indulge too much.

So as I said, it comes down to the ship. There is nothing as gorgeous as a Voyager class ship. They are true engineering masterpieces, classy all the way around and original. If you could combine that with the Carnival excitement and their food, you would have the perfect cruise line.

And for the guy who asked about the Alaska cruise on Spirit, I was on the Northbound cruise July 17. It was absolutely the best cruise I've ever been on.
Old August 19th, 2002, 09:10 AM
tinker

I was on the Sensation and I thought the food was very good. I have been on 10 RCCL cruises and am planning on going on the Inspiration in February. I think they all have their good points. I would try it if I were you. Variety is the spice of life!
Old September 17th, 2002, 09:34 AM
First Mate

We have been on one cruise-Explorer to E. Carib. Hubby and I thought the food was wonderful--not bland. The people we talked to who brought kids couldn't stop raving about the Adventure Ocean Youth Activities Program. Many parents had trouble dragging their kids away for some family time! Kids can dine with Youth Staff on selected nights to give parents time for a twosome dinner. They have age groups from 3-5 yrs. to 15-17. From what we heard there was never a dull moment.
Our TA steered us away from Carnival and we were glad she chose RCCL, especially the Explorer. We are going again next Jan. also on the Explorer.