Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 23rd, 2002, 12:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Stateroom "GTY" ???

We just got our tickets this morning and we are in Category Z stateroom GTY, does anyone know what that means?
Sponsored Links
Old August 23rd, 2002, 12:52 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Stateroom "GTY" ???

Hi Sandy,

It means that you booked your cruise under a special promotion, that probably saved you a bunch of money. There are actually no category "Z' staterooms, however, you will be assigned a stateroom shortly before getting on the ship. This means that you will more than likely get an higher category cabin than if you had booked a certain cabin number. I have seen people get their cabin assignments at the pier, but, more than likely it will occur a few days prior to your trip date. If you have your booking number, you can look on RCCL's webpage under "embarkation forms" to see your cabin number, when and if it is assigned before you leave. Hope this helps. Bon Voyage!

Linda

PS-Who did you book through? Directly or with an agent? Did they explain this to you?
Old August 23rd, 2002, 12:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Stateroom "GTY" ???

Hi,
We booked through Expedia.com and no, they didn't explain it. They did said category "Z" means we will definitely get an inside room but may be able to get an outside if one were available.
I am soooo confused, this is our first cruise.

Thanks,
Sandy
Old August 23rd, 2002, 01:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Re: Stateroom "GTY" ???

Hi Sandy,
You may want to read through this article on booking a guarantee, should help answer your questions and also do what Linda suggests and go to the RCCL web-site and check out your reservation information, you should have your booking number, if not, your travel agent should have it. As soon as you are assigned a cabin, it will be in your information, so keep checking.

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...guaranteed.cfm

I would be nice if you get an upgrade, but next time, just be sure to book the catagory you want and if you get an upgrade from there, all the better, if not, at least you will not be disappointed, good luck!

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 23rd, 2002, 01:23 PM
Yeoman

In the current climate "first timers" are doing better than the veterans at getting upgrades so good luck!
Old August 23rd, 2002, 01:44 PM
Happy Camper

We booked a Cat Z too. It is what they call "Run of Ship". It is the cheapest because right before you sail the cabins that are not sold they can use the Cat Z people to put them where they want them. Sometimes you could end up in an outside for an excellent price but you are guaranteed a cabin in the lowest category. The only draw back is you get the cabins others don't want. You may get the front or back of the ship while others have booked up mid ship cabins which most prefer. For the price we thought it was worth it as at the time I booked the Cat Z was $100 per person cheaper than booking the lowest inside.

I just called (we are sailing in Oct.) to see if I could pay more for an outside and they were only $50 more. If I were you I'd check with Expedia - it never hurts to ask - the price may have gone down. If not don't worry - you will have a cabin and on Royal Caribbean there are no bad cabins. You'll have a great time! Someone from this board convinced me to ask though about the outsides and it was worth the $100 total to get one. Debbie
Old August 26th, 2002, 02:21 AM
Delores

Default Re: Re: Stateroom "GTY" ???

On a 1998 Alaska cruise, we booked an inside guaranty on Rhapsody of the Seas & received an outside just down the hall from friends that chose their outside cabin. We saved a lot of money doing that. I realize this may not happen often, but we were very happy with our cabin. Good luck!!
Old September 5th, 2002, 10:10 AM
Happy Camper

Default Re: Re: Re: Stateroom "GTY" ???

Delores - that is what I was hopeing for but I called last week and they had an outside guarantee for $50 per person more and I went ahead and paid it. Maybe I can get a balcony??? haha I can dream... Debbie