Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 8th, 2002, 10:37 PM
Nika

Default Brilliance of the Seas????

I am asking for anyone's input on Brilliance, good and bad points. Thinking of sailing on an 11 night caribbean cruise. I have been on the Voyager and LOVED it, now I am afraid of disappointment on any smaller ship.
Sponsored Links
Old September 9th, 2002, 07:52 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Brilliance of the Seas????

All classes of ships are unique unto themselves and offer different cruising experiences. I would hardly call the Brilliance "small"... she is smaller, but by any standard she is a large ship. I enjoy all the hustle and bustle of the Eagle class vessels but find ships in the 80 or 90 thousand grt range to be warm and inviting. And, the extra 10-20,000 grt over the 70,000 tonners seems to make a major difference, allowing for many more amenities, great deck layouts, comfortable cabins, dining choices and more. Give the Brilliance a chance. Enjoy both classes for the superb yet different cruise experiences they offer.
Old September 9th, 2002, 07:55 AM
Nika

Default Re: Re: Brilliance of the Seas????

Thanks so much, I am definately considering it. I am new to the cruising experience, so just want to enjoy!!
Old September 9th, 2002, 06:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Nika,
From everything I've read about both Radiance and Brilliance, they both sound like wonderful cruise ships, a new class, but from all reports, a cruiseship I can't wait to try out. In case you have not already seen the Circle the Caribbean Cruisemates has planned on Brilliance, here is the link. I think you will find these prices to be very good, hope you can go along and enjoy the fun of cruising with a Cruisemates group, great fun:

http://www.cruisemates.com/Articles/...illiance03.cfm

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 10th, 2002, 12:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Nika

Was aboard Radiance (Brilliance's sister ship) last year. You will not be disappointed. I had just returned from a sailing aboard eagle class Voyager and was concerned that I might be dissapointed with this smaller vessel. No Way! Much preferred it, in fact, to Voyager. I have booked a December cruise aboard Brilliance and could have book any one of the eagle class at a slightly reduced amount versus, Brilliance, but chose this class based upon my cruise on Radiance. Do not hesitate! Book it! Enjoy!

Leslie

Vision - 10/14/02
Vision - 10/18/02
Brilliance - 12/13/02
Monarch - 2/03
Summit - 4/03
Radiance - 8/03
Old September 10th, 2002, 08:22 PM
Yeoman

I cruised on the "Radiance" last October and JUST booked on her again for May soo....I think you will love her! I have read of some crew/morale problems but those can pop up any time and it us to the line to rectify that before too many people complain. The layout of the ship itself is superb and has both the large and small ship feel (intimate in some regards but still has rock climbing and basketball court, just no ice rink). ENJOY!
Old September 11th, 2002, 01:08 AM
First Mate

Is this booking using your discount certificates...just wondering :-)

richard

ps I know we'll love the Radiance!
Old September 11th, 2002, 08:28 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Re: Brilliance of the Seas????

Yup (plus a $300 discount for still being a "Diamond Member" in the "Crown and Anchor Society") so thanks again for your input. I no longer feel like I "caved" but I still wish it hadn't taken a company V.P. to rectify the situation. Happy water trails to you, Robbie
Old September 11th, 2002, 11:27 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Brilliance of the Seas????

Good stuff! Hope you have a great time.
Old September 16th, 2002, 12:04 PM
Pam K

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Brilliance of the Seas????

We just finished 12 days on Brilliance and enjoyed every minute (Aug.27-Sept. 8). We did the Northern Europe tour and it was fantastic. Brilliance is a very beautiful and comfortable ship and the crew went out of their way to make it a great trip. There were 10 people at our dinning room table and I don't remember one complaint about the ship...Enjoy!!!richard wrote:

> Good stuff! Hope you have a great time.
Old September 16th, 2002, 02:11 PM
BillG

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Brilliance of the Seas????

We just returned home to Boston after a marvelous 7 nights on Brilliance (Transatlantic). If you want any indication of how much we enjoyed this ship, consider that while we were onboard we booked an 11night Circle the Caribbean cruise on her for next April (7th). We sailed on Explorer a year ago and had a fantastic cruise. The Brilliance may lack an ice skating rink and a Royal Promenade, but not much else. The ship is beautifully appointed, never seemed crowded even though it was sold out, and the crew seemed as though they had been working together for years rather than mere weeks. She also rides very smoothly and very well (for about a day we experienced high swells in the aftermath of Hurrican Gustav - but motion onboard was almost minimal), and she seems to have weathered the crossing in far better shape than the Golden Princess which was coming across at about the same time. You should have no regrets about your decision to book this great ship.
Old September 16th, 2002, 06:43 PM
Suzan

Default Brilliance of the Seas????

Hello Bill thank you for you input about the BRILLIANCE OF THE SEAS,,can you give more details are you panning on doing a review,,Did the ship have a rock climbing,,was the food good, the entertainment,,We are booked for 12/13 CANNOT WAIT,,I came over from Celebrity Lne,,,and loved it too,,BillG wrote:

> We just returned home to Boston after a marvelous 7 nights on
> Brilliance (Transatlantic). If you want any indication of how
> much we enjoyed this ship, consider that while we were onboard
> we booked an 11night Circle the Caribbean cruise on her for
> next April (7th). We sailed on Explorer a year ago and had a
> fantastic cruise. The Brilliance may lack an ice skating rink
> and a Royal Promenade, but not much else. The ship is
> beautifully appointed, never seemed crowded even though it was
> sold out, and the crew seemed as though they had been working
> together for years rather than mere weeks. She also rides very
> smoothly and very well (for about a day we experienced high
> swells in the aftermath of Hurrican Gustav - but motion onboard
> was almost minimal), and she seems to have weathered the
> crossing in far better shape than the Golden Princess which was
> coming across at about the same time. You should have no
> regrets about your decision to book this great ship.
Old September 16th, 2002, 09:36 PM
BillG

There was a rock climbing wall, but high winds made it unusable some of the time. I found the food to be quite good (my primary measure is how often I have to order the standbys of steak or chicken - and on this cruise I didn't have to. Others may have different tastes and therefore different opinions. My wife, for example, chose the sirloin steak on the evening that I was pleased to find rack of lamb on the menu. Entertainment was not as good as we have experienced in the past on RCI ships, but the cruise director, Clo O'Connor was excellent. Her assistant, Becky was a bit too bubbly for my tastes but the rest of the staff seemed to handle their assignments quite well. Staff on the ship seemed very happy to be there and went out of their way to assist you or acknowledge you with a smile and a wish that you have a wonderful day. Captain McDonald was informative (it seemed a bit strange not to have to cope with a Scandanavian accent when listening to his reports from the bridge) and a good communicator who explained the course he was taking (northern route), the reasons for it as well as the reasons for any changes in course during our seven days at sea. After reading reports of the problems that the Golden Princess experienced during their crossing, I am doubly thankful that Captain McDonald chose the route he did and that the most that we encountered were high swells in the aftermath of Hurricane Gustav.
Old September 17th, 2002, 03:05 PM
Passenger

We, also just finished the transatlantic crossing, landing in Boston this past Sunday. We loved this ship. Considering its size, it had lots of cozy nooks and crannies. It also had seating on every level of the Centrum. That's a nice touch. The Colony club had lots of seating and 2 remarkable billiard tables. We enjoyed the food, and didn't order once from the alternative menu of chicken or steak. Portofino's was definitely worth the money. The entertainment, though, was only adequate. The guitar player they had one evening was entertaining, so was the juggler/unicycle rider. Skipped the magician (not my cup of tea), and there was one evening the singer was really bad - he kept singing off key (and he wore a pink jacket - ugh!) The show band was wonderful and on the first and last evenings they played big band music in the Colony Club. The band called Midnight Oasis was mediocre at best and the pianist in the Schooner lounge was just plain aweful. The CD, Clo, was very entertaining and charming. I agree with BillG, though that her assistant, Becky was way to perky for comfort. The Captain was more visible than on the other ships I'd cruised on. He did a lot of PR and kept us safe from Hurricane Gustav. All the staff was extremely friendly, greeting you with a smile and a "good morning, madam". Even the guys cleaning windows and polishing the railings were friendly. All in all, it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience.
Old September 18th, 2002, 08:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Brilliance of the Seas????

Oh no! I'm sailing on her January 24th. Do you think the entertainment will be better by then? Why do you think it was so bad. Was it a brand new troup not working well together yet or did the material just stink? I've been reading so many bad reviews about the entertainment I'm starting to worry. I really enjoyed all the entertainment when we were on the Explorer last December.