Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 17th, 2002, 12:31 AM
Andre Armstrong

Default Our 10th Wedding Anniversary on Splendour of the Seas

I don't want to raise a I donít want to raise a fuss, but I must vent about my experience with Splendour of the Seas.

My wife and I planned for a restful vacation as we celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary Sept 5 (hey guyís I got the date right without looking it up). We flew into Barcelona, Spain to disembark on the Splendour of the Seas on August 25. The first day aboard seemed fine, but after the second day I noticed that we were getting constant long stares from passengers and even some crew members. You see I am an African American. After a while, the stares started to unnerve me, but I tried to ignore them.

Now understand that this was our 3rd cruise. My wife and I have traveled twice through the Caribbean. But for our 10th anniversary, we wanted to do something special.

It wasnít until we went to our sat for our dinner seating when the unthinkable occurred. After about 10 minutes of pleasantries, one of our dinner mates asked me the following, and I quote, ďSo what do you do to be able to afford trip like this?Ē Initially, I was shocked at the comment and didnít know how to answer. I managed some remark without being harsh.

The question at the dinner table summed up my experience with Splendour of the Seas. I firmly believe that the cruise line has a long way to go when catering to African Americans (if it so desire Ė the verdict is still out in my opinion). While no one was outright rude to us (if you excuse the comment at the dinner table), I must say I didnít feel welcome among the passengers or staff. I will not choose this particular cruise in the future. For our next trip to Europe, a direct flight into Rome will suffice.
Sponsored Links
Old September 17th, 2002, 09:29 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Our 10th Wedding Anniversary on Splendour of the Seas

Andre,
I am sorry you have encountered one person that was out of line. However to judge an entire cruise line based on this experience is out of line too. Bigotry exists in every culture and every color. Don't tell me some black people have something against white people and vice versa. You will encounter this kind of behavior all your life.
You know what is kind of ironic? You are showing extreme bigotry against an entire cruise line!

My motto? We are created in the image of God and we are his children and we are supposed to love one another.......
Happy cruising........Susanne
Old September 17th, 2002, 10:28 AM
Happy Camper

Default Re: Re: Our 10th Wedding Anniversary on Splendour of the Sea

Carnival is much better it seems. I have noticed what he is saying on Royal Caribbean myself. In 1996 on a Panama Canal cruise a particular passenger caused a huge stir with a group of black people that were traveling on the cruise. They were the nicest group I ran across on the whole trip. I really enjoyed talking with them but I was shocked at the treatment they received from fellow passengers. I have not run across any bad treatment, that I have seen, on Carnival. I like RCL - they have beautiful ships and I will be traveling on them again in a month - the first time since the cruise mentioned above. Maybe it is the class of cruiser on RCL I don't know but they are even rude to me because I am young and we do not dress and act snobby. There are all kinds in this world and I understand that and I do not let the narrow minds of these people affect me and I suggest that Andre do the same. The narrow minded people don't want us around - too bad. By the way the narrow minded people mentioned on RCL were in a minority but they sure can make themselves known. There are many good people on RCL that ignore the few that are narrow minded. Debbie
Old September 17th, 2002, 01:49 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Our 10th Wedding Anniversary on Splendour of the Seas

As a member of the "blue-eyed devil" tribe...I have been asked the same question while cruising in Europe. Rather than thinking they didn't like my freckles, I assumed they meant I looked "blue collar" (which I was, but it was law enforcement blue). Lord knows there are going to be morons on any cruise line but I will admit that my wife and I prefer a table for two and our own balcony. Even that doesn't stop the moronic comments completely, but it slows them down!