Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 18th, 2002, 11:30 AM
DMD

Default Tropical stors! What happens to my cruise?

I am scheduled on the Rhapsody for a departure Sunday September 22nd. Tropical storms Isodore and Josephine seem determined to affect the area that the cruise is headed for. This is my first cruise so I don't know what will happen. Could it be canceled? Heaven forbid! I don't mind a re-routing at all, or even some rough seas but after all the anticipation and excitement preparing for it, it would be terrible if it was canceled!
Sponsored Links
Old September 18th, 2002, 11:36 AM
Frank

Default Re: Tropical stors! What happens to my cruise?

They will not cancel the cruise unless a full blown hurrican type storm hits the port of departure. If the ship can leave port, they will just cruise out of its way. This may include adding new ports, or skipping ports.
Old September 18th, 2002, 12:54 PM
Admiral

I hope you purchased trip insurance!

Regards,
Thomas
Old September 18th, 2002, 07:42 PM
cricket55

Relax! We were on a cruise 3 years ago when Hurricane Jose hit the Southern Caribbean in mid-October....one of the few major hurricanes EVER to hit the southern Carib that late in the season...just our luck. It turned out great however. After the first day in port in St. Thomas, they announced we were being re-routed to Aruba and Curacao (originally going to Antigua, Barbados and Martinique). We had great weather with no sign of the hurricane. Coming back from Aruba, the seas were a little rough and we were again re-routed to St Croix (instead of St Maarten) because St Maarten was a tender port and the seas were too rough to tender. We had a perfectly wonderful time on the cruise and like you, didn't mind being re-routed away from the bad weather at all.

Everything will be fine....Don't worry...be happy!!!
Old September 18th, 2002, 09:18 PM
mattinla

Default Re: Re: Tropical stors! What happens to my cruise?

There's an ocean and atmospheric science lab on the explorer and I took the tour. I asked the guy who ran the lab about weather diversions...he said in nearly 100 voyages, explorer had diverted once. Although I think this week, she will probably divert around Isadore to get back to Miami safely. Josephine is so far out to sea, she will cause no problems. Isadore should be out of the way of your departure and beyond your cruise track by the time you get into the area.
Old September 18th, 2002, 10:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

If you didn't purchase travel insurance earlier - now would be a good time. I'd hate to think of anyone losing any amount of money should their cruise be cancelled. However, I was on a cruise in September '01 and Hurricane Erin was our issue to deal with. Though we never came close, the ship's captain kept us updated daily and there were always maps posted throughout the ship showing where "she" was, where we were, "her" predicted path compared to ours, etc.
Old September 18th, 2002, 10:31 PM
pat&rhonda

Default Re: Re: Tropical stors! What happens to my cruise?

just a question from a weather nut. the storm will be tracking nw into the gulf. how does the rhapsoddy get back into to port and if it can't where does it dock until they can get back.
Old September 19th, 2002, 07:49 AM
cruzcrazy60

Default Update on change in route for Rhaphsodyy cruise?

Hi:

I hope this eases your mind. Your cruise info on re-routing the Rhaphsody is posted on the RCI website, go to RoyalCaribbean.com and there is a link there called Tropical Storm Update. It says it is re-routing four ships and yours is one of them.

Have fun!!!!
Old October 10th, 2002, 05:41 PM
Mike and Jeri

Default Where is the link on Tropical Stomrs?

We're on Voyager sailing Sunday. I'm not too concerned, but am curious. I couldn't find the link anywhere.