Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 2nd, 2002, 02:17 PM
Beginner

Default Stop in Labadee

If you are a blood donor and thinking about a cruise with a stop in Labadee Haiti, you might want to know you won't be able to donate again for at least one year.
Sponsored Links
Old October 2nd, 2002, 05:42 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Stop in Labadee

I see Labadee and all I think about is that movie The Rainbow and the Serpent based on a true story about voodoo in Haiti. Gives me the chills so I avoid any iten with Labadee!

Golden Princess 12/04
Galaxy 1/04
Elation 2/03
Enchantment of the Seas 4/02
Fantasy 11/01
Triumph 4/01
Sensation 4/97
Old October 2nd, 2002, 08:38 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Stop in Labadee

What's the deal about blood donation? I don't give blood because of my bad veins, but in any case I would always stop in Labadee. We were there last year with our Explorer E. Carib. cruise and it was our favorite stop. It was free (we aren't into parasailing, etc. Hubby doesn't go into the water--couldn't anyway because of recent eye surgery), the weather was perfect, lunch was good. We found a patch of shade near the restrooms. and the calypso music. It was a totally relaxing day. We took the tram ride and saw the rest of the "island" without having to walk a lot. I explored a bit and went into the water for a while. Mostly we read, dozed and people watched on our lounge chairs (We split a Labadoozy) There's plenty to do for the adventurous.
We felt completely safe. The locals didn't come near except when I got brave and went to the markets. That was a little frantic, but I got a couple of bargains. After spending all day there(9:30-4:15) and knowing we would be heading home, we had to drag ourselves back to the ship. We are glad we went to the E. first, because the Exp. doesn't go there any more for the E. Carib trip.I have gorgeous pics from that day. Next Jan. we are taking Exp. to W. Carib with our first stop in Labadee.
Old October 3rd, 2002, 03:44 AM
Admiral

Actually this isn't true, or at least it is not forbibben by the Red Cross. Yes Haiti IS on the list BUT, as you are in a private area and not out and about the country you can still give blood. I know as I am a blood donor and have been to Labadee many times and they know it. Yes the first time I told them they went a little crazy over it but checked with some head people pretty far up the line and it is permissable.
Jim
Community Staff Leader

Old October 3rd, 2002, 10:07 AM
First Mate

I wish they could get this figured out. My husband gave blood a week after our stop in Labadee. They took his blood but a week later he got a letter from the blood bank saying that his blood had been rejected and that he should not give again for a year because of the stop at Labadee. Seems a shame to be wasting good blood if there really is not reason to.
Old October 3rd, 2002, 03:39 PM
hct

It's such a shame that the main part of Haiti is no longer a cruise port..Visited many yrs ago--it is a lush island, very poor but very interesting--great art, smiling people..
Old November 8th, 2002, 02:30 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Stop in Labadee

I am sorry to disagree but it is true.

I traveled to the Dominican Republic in June and went to donate blood shortly after that. I was told by the Red Cross that they will not accept blood from people who have traveled to the DR or Haiti.

We just had another blood drive and I asked again and was told again that I had to wait till June 03.

Regardless of it being a private part of the island, it's still a part of the island.