Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 9th, 2002, 10:43 AM
Passenger

Default travel insurance

any comments about "travelguard" vs "Trip Assured". Trying to make a decision regarding 2 travel agencies. One uses travelguard ; the other "trip assured". I would welcome any knowledge to help me make a more informed decision. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old October 9th, 2002, 11:29 AM
Admiral

Default Re: travel insurance

I have never used travel insurance. I have been on 4 cruises and booked my 5th. To me when I book I am going. I would have to be dead not to go and if so my family can use my ticket. That's me, I am insurance poor and this is one area I am not going to get insurance on. Ok I'm ready for the onslaught as to why I should, lol.

Golden Princess 12/04
Galaxy 1/04
Elation 2/03
Enchantment of the Seas 4/02
Fantasy 11/01
Triumph 4/01
Sensation 4/97
Old October 9th, 2002, 12:03 PM
First Mate

Hmmm.. maybe the threads don't move up with each reply. Anyway, Suz, look on the page before this for the same thread--travel insurance by pat and rhonda. There are some links to check including one that you mentioned.
Old October 9th, 2002, 05:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: travel insurance

Hi Suz,
I just took out insurance for our next cruise with CSA yesterday, you may want to also compare them:

http://www.csatravelprotection.com/csa/jsp/index.jsp

You may want to check out Access America:

http://www.accessamerica.com/index.a...6yab2FkSKBsdg6

Post Edited (10-09-02 16:29)

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 10th, 2002, 12:56 AM
Passenger

Insurance...would never sail without it. Just never know when you might need it- have heard too many horror stories over the years not to buy it. But they are all just a little bit different. It is well worth the time to compare...and the site www.insuremytrip.com allows you to compare policies and coverages. it takes a LOT of time to do the comparing but it's worth it. Have had good luck getting rapid replies back from all when I have questions. I have three cruises under deposit and have used a different company with each one just because I need different coverages for the ampunts and places I am travelling. Also their coverages change periodically so what you use one year may not be what you want to use the next.
I would guess the company you are booking with would let you book without insurance and let you purchase your own independently.
Good luck
Old October 10th, 2002, 01:42 PM
Yeoman

Once again I will chime in with my NEVER take the insurance for healthy folks! Over 20 cruises and have never missed one, so even if I did at this point, I would still have more $$ left in my pocket than the price of all those premiums. My Mom does take it but she is 74 and takes enough pills for all the passengers combined. The big scare is the air-evacuation and I know it can really happen. Per my medical insurance, they will cover it in an emergency as they said most companies would.
Old October 10th, 2002, 02:45 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: travel insurance

Heck Robbie that savings paid for a few of your cruises. I never take it either as I stated previously. Insurance poor and sick of it!

Golden Princess 12/04
Galaxy 1/04
Elation 2/03
Fantasy 11/01
Triumph 4/01
Sensation 4/97
Old October 10th, 2002, 04:11 PM
Admiral

Once you have used Travel Insurance, you probably won't cruise without it again! My medical bill for Bronchitis was over $400. We are in our 50's but with aging parents, the present World situation (remember 911) and the chance of unemployment (yes my isurance does cover me for job loss) the average of $127 per couple is worth the peace of mind for my 7 to 9 day vacation for $1500 pp or less.
Travelguard is what we have purchased the last several years. There is a site on the net which allows you to compare cruise insurance policies. I wish I could remember its name. Try insuremytrip.com. or do a search on line. You do not have to buy 3rd. party insurance from your travel agent. If you purchase it within 7 to 10 days of initial down payment of your cruise, you will be protected for any pre-existing illnesses. Believe me when I was looking at more than $300 for insurance for a trip, I didn't want to spend that extra money either. Again you can't put a price on peace of mind.
Bon Voyage
Old October 10th, 2002, 04:50 PM
Admiral

Would also like to add to Nanatravel's comments. If you should get injured while on your cruise and need to be transported either by air or land, that cost is not covered on our own insurance and can amount to thousands of dollars. My last cruise in Alaska, we had a man that needed medical attention, there was no ER hospital in the town we were in, they had to air lift him farther away where he could get treated. I know I save for a long time to be able to take a nice cruise or vacation and I certainly don't want anything like that to happen, its worth the $200/300 it may cost to take out insurance.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 10th, 2002, 06:57 PM
Admiral

I wonder what kind of medical coverage they had! I'm sorry ladies but I was injured on my last cruise, taken by ambulance to the ship where I was admitted. My bill was almost $800 and my medical insurance paid it all. I already pay huge premiums, no one has yet to convince me otherwise and if anything you have reassured me by not getting it.

Golden Princess 12/04
Galaxy 1/04
Elation 2/03
Fantasy 11/01
Triumph 4/01
Sensation 4/97
Old October 10th, 2002, 07:00 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: travel insurance

Hi Nushnakka,
Glad yours was covered, but mine does not cover the transportation costs, so you were lucky, glad to hear that!

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 10th, 2002, 10:50 PM
Passenger

I really have a lot of admiration for those who are comfortable travelling without insurance, but will never again cruise/travel without it. My employee health insurance will not cover medical evacuation- and having been a nurse for over thirty years, have seen too many people get in trouble healthwise when they are on vacation. And too many sad stories about people who lose all their cruise expenses because of a family health crisis in the last two weeks before they cruise. That and knowing that if a weather related travel problem arises, I can still cruise- one way or another, really gives me peace of mind. More power to you if you are comfortable without it, but I NEED IT to feel comfortable. Once you use it you are never without it- and I am healthy.
Renaissance bankruptcy was it for me! I just look at it as part of the cost of travelling.
Old October 11th, 2002, 07:50 AM
Admiral

I was worried because I had an HMO at the time but they were great in covering it. Oh well, I guess I'll check with my new insurance to make sure it will be ok for this upcoming cruise. BTW petoonya what is a renaissance bankruptcy?

Golden Princess 12/04
Galaxy 1/04
Elation 2/03
Fantasy 11/01
Triumph 4/01
Sensation 4/97
Old October 11th, 2002, 10:17 AM
Passenger

Renaissance Cruise Line went bankrupt about 2 weeks after 9/11. We had a big cruise booked with them! We were covered by our insurance.

Old October 11th, 2002, 12:29 PM
Yeoman

I have been on 11 cruises and have never taken out cruise insurance, and neither have my friends taken it out and they cruise regularly. Perhaps if I was elderly then I might take out the insurance.
Old October 11th, 2002, 12:35 PM
Yeoman

My insurance DOES PAY for medical evacuation. T/a's and cruise lines love the people that pay for their insurance, as this is all gravy for them. I don't take out insurance when I play black jack either! HAHA. Sucker Bet!!!
Old October 11th, 2002, 12:37 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: travel insurance

If you had charged the price of the cruise you wouldn't have to pay the credit card Co.I always put the price of the cruise on my credit card.
Old October 11th, 2002, 01:25 PM
Passenger

Thats wonderful that you have been fortunate not to have to use insurance. Everybody has their own experience tho. I also put all my travel on a credit card- and my card would have covered me with my Ren cruise had the insurance not. But there are many other reasons for me to want to always use insurance...I have heard too many sad stories not to. Life is a risk and everybody has to take their chances- it's a personal decision and we all decide differently- there's no right or wrong way to cruise as there's no right or wrong in choosing or not choosing insurance. I have lots of auto, home, life insurance because it's the way hubby and I are comfortable living. Someone else might choose to spend their money differently. But when I vacation, I feel MUCH better with insurance.
Best wishes to everybody

Old October 14th, 2002, 02:34 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: travel insurance

I am surprised to learn that travel insurance will pay if your flight is cancelled due to weather, and you miss the cruise! Even when I worked for the airline and a flight was cancelled due to weather we never paid passengers expenses! I would double check my policy!
Old October 14th, 2002, 10:54 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: travel insurance

Hello again Carol,

Yes both Travelguard Cruise, Tour and Travel and CSA Gold coverages do cover weather related airline delays- gets you to your ship one way or another if your flight is cancelled due to weather delay- airline or ground.

You say when you worked for the airlines they never paid passengers travel expenses for weather delays. The airlines are not insurance companies tho! They have no responsibility to cover passengers expenses- the fact that insurance DOES cover it for me is an added bonus in addition to all other "covered" reasons I require it. Where I live ( in very harsh wintery place with lots of cancelled flights) it is far too much of a risk for me to be without. But others may decide differently- we all have budgets and time constraints and personal "worry" limits that we have to assess. I appreciate your concern that I "check my policy" but I could not imagine buying it and not knowing every detail explicitly.

I have cruised thirty three times and have to admit the first twenty were WITHOUT insurance...I won't go into the gory details but for my hubby and I, we just won't go anymore without it- we look at it as just a necessary expense. Not for everyone tho.

Good luck to you.

Old October 16th, 2002, 09:05 AM
Jim Munkittrick

Don't leave home without it!
AND you can buy it direct..over the internet, reduces the cost by eliminating the commissions.
Our next cruise: Insurace is $82.00

It covers:
any of the kids getting ill
Work demanding a change in plans
Injury on the trip
you name it it is covered...

$82 bucks for a ten day cruise......$8.00 a day to lock in the total costs?

that's is cheap!

Ever price medical evac? $30,000 easily!

and we are not OLD!

trip, fall, break a leg, get hit by a car, bite by a shark, food poisoning....you come up with the problem, the lousy $8 per day coves it!
Old October 16th, 2002, 11:20 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

I don't know about anyone else, but I cannot afford to eat the cruise fare, air fare, hotel costs, medical costs, evacuation costs, etc. You may be 35 and the picture of health, but if you are injured on your cruise and your health insurance does NOT cover you, can you afford to pay out of pocket any hospital costs (which usually must be paid before you leave the country out of your OWN pocket), if necessary any costs for medical evacuation from the ship or the foreign country. Can you afford to lose all your money if, God foirbid one week before your cruise your father, or husband or child was stricken with an acute illness or die? For the nominal cost of insurance, I have peace of mind and know that my bills will be covered (and bless you if you have insurance that will cover you once you leave the fifty states! That is so rare!)

Old October 25th, 2002, 03:57 PM
Yeoman

My husband and I have been on 2 cruises and we got the insurance on the 7day that we booked in Feb for a Sept cruise, only because we both have older parents that are not in good health and did not want to be stuck if one of them got sick or passed away. It's really a choice you have to make.
Old October 27th, 2002, 10:51 AM
shari3

What company did you use? Is that the cost per person or a whole family? I am traveling in February and the lowest quote i have gotten was from CSA and that was $365. Any info would be apprecited - Shari
Old October 28th, 2002, 12:34 AM
Mary Martin

You're lucky if your health insurance covers you, most of them will not cover you outside the US I am told. Mine for example will not. And to be airflighted out overseas costs about $30,000. So I hope you never get stuck. I always buy travel insurance and always will. It's not just to refund your money should you cancel, it's to protect you in case of an accident (have you ever taken a taxi to Maegan's Bay in St. Thomas for example, you take your life in your hands). My suggestion is to see how much they both cover if you have a medical emergency, then make you decision.
Have a safe cruise,
Mary Martin