Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 23rd, 2002, 09:26 AM
Beginner

Default Tour? Mazatlan - Sierra Madre, Etc?

We are booked on the "Legend of the Seas" November 10th sailing to the Mexican Riviera and in the process of booking the tours. Has anyone gone on the "Sierra Madre, Concordia & Copala" 7-hour bus tour of the villages? If so, how would you rate this tour on a scale of one to ten? Any shore excursion suggestions for Catalina Island, Puerto Vallarta or Cabo San Lucas? What about a laundry room? I assumed the ship would have washers & dryers but have since heard that it does not. Any and all tips, information, etc. is appreciated. My email is mjkunkle@satx.rr.com
Thanks so much - Mary
Sponsored Links
Old October 23rd, 2002, 10:26 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Tour? Mazatlan - Sierra Madre, Etc?

Don't know about Legend but EOS did not have laundry rooms. They had the service that you have to pay for. That's another thing I liked about Carnival, laundry rooms with iron & board. I like doing my wash on the last sea day and coming home with clean clothes. I too am interested on any tours for the mex riveria as I'm going there in Feb.

Golden Princess 12/04
Galaxy 1/04
Elation 2/03
Enchantment of the Seas 4/02
Fantasy 11/01
Triumph 4/01
Sensation 4/97
Old October 24th, 2002, 12:23 PM
Happy Camper

Default Re: Tour? Mazatlan - Sierra Madre, Etc?

No self service laundry on RCL. I too like that about Carnival. We did the Mexican Riviera last year and this is what we did. First we hooked up with another couple we met on board that wanted to do the same things we did - horse back riding and snokeling and then we did two stops on our own as a group of four - much cheaper and safer.

Puerto Vallarta. Hired a taxi to tour town and see the Church, Liz Taylor House, etc. and then on to Milmosa Beach (In the film Night of Iguana) and there she (the taxi driver) helped us negotiate a water taxi to Los Arcos to snorkel for around $10 a person. We then came back and had her drop us in town. Her price was $15 per person for 3 hours. Do not pay till you get out for the last time or you will not see them again! Otherwise they will wait on you. From town it is only $2 per person for a cab back and many are around. We shopped town and walked the famous boardwalk and took a $2 per person cab to the ship. She could have taken us to a restaurant by a waterfall in the mountians that i had heard about but I was out voted... Only bad thing about having others around...

Mazatlan. Talked to cabs and found a guy with a suburban that had soda and beer and would take us to Ginger's Horses on the outskirts of town for horseback riding on the beach and wait on us and take us to GOlden Zone for shopping and take us to lunch and then take us on a tour of town and to see the light house. This was an all day deal for $50 a couple. The horse back riding was $17 for an hour and it was awsome. The horses are well taken care of and this was highly recommended on all the things I had read. We did get to ride them in the surf too. The lunch was $10 total for 4 and very good. It was the place with the shark in the tank when you walk in and was highly recommended on reveiws I had read. Golden Zone alone is $15 each way by cab and if you book horseback riding on the ship it is $75 a person so for $84 a couple we had the whole day and horseback riding..

Cabo we were just not there long so we took the ship snorkel tour and had a blast!!!

By the way in Cabo many have been dieing from the ships because they book water taxis on their own and the taxis flip in the high waves. They are VERY HIGH waves. The snokeling from Lovers Beach where they take you is vertually impossible without swimming through the waves out to where the tour dropped us off. So if you insist on renting a water taxi INSIST on a LIFE VEST! So far at least 10 have died from the ships and a lot more injured..... Debbie
Old October 24th, 2002, 01:29 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Tour? Mazatlan - Sierra Madre, Etc?

Thanks Debbie for the tips and advice. I have been hearing about several deaths in Cabo but did not know why. We also only have 5 hours there and still don't know what to do there. Actually 4 1/2 hours since you need to be back on board 1/2 before departure.

Golden Princess 12/04
Galaxy 1/04
Elation 2/03
Fantasy 11/01
Triumph 4/01
Sensation 4/97
Old October 25th, 2002, 01:06 PM
Happy Camper

Default Re: Re: Re: Tour? Mazatlan - Sierra Madre, Etc?

I went on the Elation and it is a tender port in Cabo so if you plan on dong anything on your own count in that it will take you probably 30 min to an hour to get off the ship unless on an excursion as they use the tenders for the excurions first. That is why we ended up on the snorkel tour through the ship. You end up with only 3 hours maybe to do anything on your own. Debbie
Old October 25th, 2002, 02:02 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Tour? Mazatlan - Sierra Madre, Etc?

Thanks Debbie, I hate that it's a tender with such short time but I guess we will have to make do. Either way tho I am sure it will be fun.

Golden Princess 12/04
Galaxy 1/04
Elation 2/03
Fantasy 11/01
Triumph 4/01
Sensation 4/97