Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 24th, 2002, 08:32 AM
Ray D

Default Upgrades on RCCL

I just booked a cabin for a November 2003 cruise on the Navigator. I took the option where by I do not select my cabin but I am guaranteed a cabin at no less than DA with the possibility of upgrades as they become available. How does this work? Has anyone had experiance with what my chances of an upgrade are and where I might get upgraded too?

Also if I do not get upgraded will I be stuck in the worst DA cabin available?

Thanks for any and all advice!!!
Sponsored Links
Old October 24th, 2002, 09:58 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Upgrades on RCCL

Hi Ray,
I've booked a few cabins with the guarantee, but I always book the catagory I want with a balcony and so far no upgrade, but it has been known to happen and its more likely when booking this way. I really don't think any of the DA's are bad. If you really wanted a specific cabin, then thats what you should book.

Here is an article on exactly how booking a guarantee cabin works, hopefully the upgrade fairy will be watching for you, good luck:

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...r/upgrades.cfm

Would love to hear all about Navigator when you return, you may even want to write a review and send it into Cruisemates :-)

Have FUn!

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 24th, 2002, 01:01 PM
Happy Camper

Default Re: Re: Upgrades on RCCL

You could get the worst in that category. Only book a guarantee if you want to chance it and are fully ready to except what you get. I booked a guarantee Cat I outside hoping for an upgrade but knowing I could get the worst. I did get one deck up mid ship and have to admit I was very glad and releived I was not at the front of the ship. But if I had gotten that I know it would have been because I booked the Guarantee. If you want a particular cabin book it or otherwise cross your fingers. Our ship was not full but the Voyager was on the same sailing and there were no upgrades supposedly.. Also they had balconies open but I was not upgraded to one. It seems they would rather keep them open and sell them for more money which they did. So getting a balcony from an outside is probably not possible and also there were suites available so people were not upgraded on these either. They made money on them salling them at the pier to people who wanted to pay to upgrade instead of handing them out as upgrades for free.. Debbie
Old October 24th, 2002, 05:04 PM
Yeoman

Eleven cruises with "RCI" and never been upgraded AFTER booking (including this past August on the "Legend" when I booked with a guarantee). I have however gotten some great deals at the time I booked and I never treat any cruise the same way. I go in the cheap seats if I am on a busy itinerary and go for the ever popular aft-facing balcony when I am going to relax on an itinerary with alot of "sea days" (or ports I don't care for, like the Mexican Riviera which we have done several times). Hope this helps, Robbie
Old October 24th, 2002, 07:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

I agree with Robbie...Not many upgrades on RCCL.Just look at the Princess boards where almost everybody seems to be upgraded!
Old October 29th, 2002, 04:11 AM
Admiral

Just got back from SoS. We booked two Cat C specific cabins. I was pleasantly surprised to find that we had both been upgraded into Cat A suites (our own private passageway) even though we had not booked guarantees.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old October 29th, 2002, 10:52 PM
Zoom

I was told point blank by a rep for RCCL that they do not upgrade. I booked a guarantee as well for a cruise last Sept. hoping to be upgraded (since on my last two Carnival crusies I had been upgraded) only to be VERY dissapointed with my results. We got the bottom of the boat at the front of the ship!!! And we book a year in advance. Take my word, cancel your booking and re-book with a set cabin...

Zoom