Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 26th, 2002, 11:00 AM
Beginner

Default new to RCI

We are new to RCI. We have been on 2 Princess cruises, one on the Sea Princess and one on the Grand. we wanted a longer cruise that left from Fla. and are going on the Brilliance on 2/24/03. What are we going to find difference on RCI from Princess.?
Sponsored Links
Old October 26th, 2002, 12:03 PM
Admiral

Default Re: new to RCI

I have been on several Princess, Celebrity, and Holland America Cruises, other miscellaneous cruise lines, as well as one very recent R.C.I. sailing on the Radiance.

We found the furnishings to be cheap and uncomfortable, especially in our so called "suite." The food in the main dining room was lacking. (The specialty restaurants at additional cost were quite good, however.) Our cabin service was very poor, but many others on board had good service people in their cabins.

I'm sure you will have fun but you will definately have to lower your expectations, somewhat, in order to do so. Think "Best Western" or Holiday Inn, not Westin or Inter- Continental, and then you will be happy.
Old October 26th, 2002, 03:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: new to RCI

Hi Jon,
My favorite cruise was on RCCL's Explorer of the seas. Unlike Chuck, who had a not so great expierence on Radiance, we found on that cruise the food to be very good, service and entertainment excellent. I think you will find more going on in the evenings compared to Princess, just an all over livelier atmosphere on RCCL.

Even though Chuck's expierence on Radiance was not what he expected, I'm still going and will have a good time, it will sure beat the end of winter here in the Midwest!

Would love to hear how you liked your first RCCL cruise when you return, be sure to have FUN!

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 26th, 2002, 07:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

We are going on the Splendour of the Sea in Dec. to the Panama Canal. If any of you have been on this ship lately would love to know what your exerience was and if the ship is in good condition. I was on her sister ship, the Legend, a few years ago and loved it. Looking forward to this cruise as it will be during Christmas and New Years. Wonder if they decorate. Any answers will be appreciated. Helen
Old October 27th, 2002, 10:06 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: new to RCI

I must admit that our complaints were based mainly on a poorly trained cabin steward. She was one-of-a-kind, to say the least. The food and furnishings issues could easily have been ignored had it not been for her ineptitude.

There is a cruise line for all kinds of people with all kinds of needs. The Radiance and R.C.I. just didn't seem to meet our needs. But I'm sure she will make many people quite happy.

I'm sure your experiences and those of Donna will be better than were ours.

Cruises are not inexpensive when you add up the entire cost at the end of said events. This fact makes it hard for me to give them (R.C.I.) another try, eventhough that is probably the right thing to do, before we totally reject this company.

it is compounded by some friends that sailed R.C.I. on our advice last spring. They were disappointed in their Mexican Riviera cruise and we felt bad that we had recommended R.C.I. for their first cruise based on hear-say. We should have had first-hand experience with that line prior to suggesting it to our friends.

In short, I'm just not likely to give R.C.I. another chance, at least for a while.
Old October 27th, 2002, 11:00 PM
Mary Martin

We have sailed with RCI 5 times and have NEVER had a bad cruise or bad service.
In fact RCI is my favorite line. The food on our last cruise this past September, on the Enchantment of the Seas, the food wasn't up to the same standard as what we had on the Explorer, but it was still tastey (I gained 7 pounds ). I found the furnishings to be very comfortable with the exception of the sleeper couch which was a bit hard. But the color schemes are very pleasing to the eye, and you don't feel like your lost in the 70"s like most of the Carnival ships. I had a cruise from hell on my first Carnival cruise (hot room, bad food, and bad service) which made me at first say never again. But don't let one bad cruise make you give up on one cruiseline all together. We will sail on Carnival again in the future. I know when the Radiance first came out they made the mistake of using alot of new crew members who had little or no experience. I believe they have learned pretty much from this mistake. I believe you will have a wonderful cruise. I look forward to hearing a review from you.
Happy cruising,
Mary Martin
Old October 28th, 2002, 10:14 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: new to RCI

We've been on only one cruise--EOS to E. Carib and it hooked us on cruising and RCI. I probably wouldn't go on a smaller ship. We are looking forward to EOS to W. Carib in Jan. '03. I think one cruise that's not up to one's expectations should not sour one on the whole cruise line.
Old October 29th, 2002, 09:19 AM
BillG

Default Re: Re: Re: new to RCI

We have been on a Princess Sun class ship (Dawn Princess) twice and recently sailed on the Brilliance. Princess ships have a decor which is quite similar to that found on RCI's. There are some significant differences, however, between the Sun class (can't report on Grand class ships) and the Radiance class (Radiance, Brilliance). Centrum on the Brilliance goes from the main level all the way to the pool deck while the central atrium is only four decks high. There are walls of glass on the Brilliance and glass elevators that face the sea, as well as others that look out on the Centrum. Balcony staterooms are noticeably larger on the Brilliance and the balconies have a plexiglass lower panel that allows you to see the water, unlike the sold metal panels on Sun class balconies. There are many more bars and lounges (and a small movie theater) on the Brilliance which is larger than the Sun class ships, but smaller than Grand. Food is a matter of individual taste and while I might give Princess a slight edge, my wife would opt for RCI's. We both agree that the pizza on Dawn Princess was far superior to that served on the Brilliance. Brilliance, however, has two very good alternative (extra fee) restaurants and I thought that the food in the Windjammer was as good as, if not better than the food in the Horizon Court. Both lines aim to provide topnotch service. On our most recent Dawn Princess cruise they did not quite attain that goal and our Brilliance cruise had one of the friendliest and ablest crew that we have encountered in our years of cruising. Your particular experiences in this regard really depend more on the individuals by whom you are served than on the line you are sailing, at least IMHO.
If you enjoyed your Princess cruises, you should have no reason to worry that you won't enjoy your time on Brilliance as much, or more. Enjoy your cruise and let us know your opinions when you return.
Old October 29th, 2002, 09:53 AM
jasj

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: new to RCI

how come everyone is disregarding one fact? Maybe its the cruiser not the cruise or the ship I think the Radiance is a beautiful ship with luxurious interior
Old October 30th, 2002, 11:56 AM
First Mate

these are my thoughts..... i like the dedcor better on rccl....like activites on rccl better and even the comedians. think that the ships are comporable...but sometimes like the more classic style of royal. however i do think the food is way better on princess and that the service is a bit better on princess. drinks are stronger on royal. wine selection better often on princess. we have been on each 4times.....like them both. enjoy