Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 20th, 2002, 04:36 PM
Steve B.

Default Ocho Rios

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on which shore excusions to do in Ocho Rios. I know that we want to do the Dunn's river falls, but there are several packages that have the falls and some other activity. From anyone's experiance, which package was the most fun?
Sponsored Links
Old November 21st, 2002, 10:13 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Ocho Rios

We did the Cool Runnings catamaran. It was fun and left us enough time to do some shopping.

Golden Princess 12/04
Galaxy 1/04
Elation 2/03
Enchantment of the Seas 4/02
Fantasy 11/01
Triumph 4/01
Sensation 4/97
Old November 21st, 2002, 09:20 PM
kcf

We did the Catamaran as well. The ride back to the ship was very rough - So windy and wet we had to take cover. One thing great - Our guide took us on a route AWAY from the vendors after the falls. Our dinner mates were bombarded with vendors - literally grabbing them and pulling them into their booths. It soured them so bad on Jamaica, they'll never go again. We didn't see any of this, and LOVED Dunns River Falls
Old November 21st, 2002, 10:09 PM
Yeoman

Jamaica is a lovely place to stay on board and enjoy the ship while the rest of the tourists are gone for awhile. Grand Cayman is SO clean that I thought I was back working skid row in Los Angeles when we went to Jamaica (sorry liberals, this is not a racial observation, strictly an economic one).
Old November 22nd, 2002, 08:59 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Ocho Rios

KCF, we must have had the same guide! We did want into the shopping area at the "mall" and they were fine there but when we went to the flea market that is where they became persistent and we had too also. Yes Grand Cay is cleaner but Jamaica is by far the most beautiful island and I would go back there again before Grand Cay because I like the beauty of the island and the people are interesting once you get past the pesky vendors.

Golden Princess 12/04
Galaxy 1/04
Elation 2/03
Enchantment of the Seas 4/02
Fantasy 11/01
Triumph 4/01
Sensation 4/97
Old November 23rd, 2002, 04:44 PM
quetico

Your best bet may be to go to the public beach by the pier ... it costs a $1.50 to get in, and then you can pick out a boat to take you to the falls and to other snorkling areas as well... negotiate with the driver. The cost was $50 for the boat, but he dickered to $40 for two people. These people can't approach you at the main pier, but are probably your best bet. The most expensive and crowded will always be the tour booked on the ship.
The one problem here is that you may not dock at the same pier.. there are two, and one is further from the beach. Still walking distance I think, but check that out.
Q