Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 21st, 2002, 10:27 AM
stuff&things

Default To Someone who has travelled RC a lot please

We are considering RCI for our second cruise (first was on Carnival and we loved it) on which we will take our 13 yr. old and 16 yr. old. So, I am looking for reasons to go RCI over Carnival or vice versa. Also, does RCI have soda cards and 24 hour pizza? How long are those lines for the rock climbing wall and ice skating rinks? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old November 21st, 2002, 11:27 AM
Craig

Default Re: To Someone who has travelled RC a lot please

Hi ..

We have cruised RCI 3 times, each with our kids and loved it. Latest was the Voyager and it was just incredible. Can't do a comparison to Carnival because we have never tried that line.

As far as your questions. Yes to soda cards. The rock climbing wall was less than a 10 minute wait (they give you times to sign up). Didn't do the ice skating but went to the show and it was great. The only thing on the entire ship (which was 100 % booked) that we could never get into was the virtual golf.

Have a great one.

Craig ...
Old November 21st, 2002, 11:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

We've cruised RCI 17 times and Carnival 3 times - so, obviously, we prefer RCI. If I were taking kids the age of yours, I would definitely do a Voyager class ship - there is just so much to do for kids, and those ships attract families - so there will be other kids for yours to hang with. The line was never long for rock climbing, while we were on Explorer, but I don't know if there were any lines for ice skating. Never heard any complaints, though! There was also a full size basketball court, and an in-line skating area on Voyager, but I can't remember if there was miniature golf or not. I know they have miniature golf on Radiance class, but can't remember if it was on the Explorer.
There are soda cards, and 24 hour room service. There is a cafe in the Promenade area of Voyager class ships, and that is open 24 hours, serving pizza, cookies, and I think, sandwiches. There is also a 24 hour ice cream machine in the same area, and the Windjammer had coffee, tea, iced tea and lemonade available all the time. We are talking about taking our kids and grandkids (4, ages 3 and under), and are considering a Voyager class ship because of the many attractions for all ages.

Hope this helps.

Rita
Old November 21st, 2002, 01:20 PM
stuff&things

Rita and Craig - Thank you so much for your input! My husband and I talked to some kids on the Fantasy that were about our kids' ages. They said they were bored a lot, but they were also not with their parents. We love to do things with our kids and our kids still love to do things with us - though that is changing somewhat for the 13 yr. old. I am concerned that they will have plenty to do and for that reason am leaning toward RCI. My husband knows we like Carnival and for that reason is leaning that way - something we know what we're spending our money for, I guess. I will pass along what you have said and again, thank you!
Old November 21st, 2002, 01:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: To Someone who has travelled RC a lot please

Hi Stuff,
I think you and your family would love cruising on a "Voyager" class ship, there is tons to do onboard, think your kids would absolutely love it, they will not be bored in the least! So far, our Explorer cruise is our favorite.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 21st, 2002, 03:50 PM
Joe and Sha

Default Re: Re: To Someone who has travelled RC a lot please

Just got off the Voager for the second time, Explorer once and Legend once.
Thje one thing we have been so impressed with is the chidren. We saw them upon embarkation and the last nite. The programs are great!!!. The teens~~~~mostly in the arcades and using the internet. The Voyager class ships are meant for families with kids of all ages! Do it!
Old November 21st, 2002, 08:00 PM
First Mate

Explorer does have a mini-golf course. We tried to play it on our cruise. Only problem was we were at sea and it was too windy. A fun course, but better when there is no wind. I agree with above posters. There were tons of kids on our cruise (in Jan, no less) and they all seemed busy and happy. Everyone raves about the youth programs.
Old November 22nd, 2002, 11:48 AM
Browezilla

Default Re: Re: Re: To Someone who has travelled RC a lot please

Read up on the Voyager class (Adventure, Voyager, Explorer, and Navigator) in regard to what they offer for kids. They're top notch and in a poll I saw were ahead of Carnival and Disney. Navigator expanded the childrens/teens area to be the largest, by far, of this type of area on any ship on any cruise line. You just can't go wrong with the Voyager class ships.

Voyager class ships offer a soda card, and they offer pizza 24 hours by room service. They also have Johnny Rockets that kids like a lot. They also have many other small eateries. For the Rock Climbing wall, I had a 5 minute wait twice and no wait 2 other times. Just depends on when you do it. Later in the cruise it is easier to get, as everyone's arms are about to drop off :-)
Old November 22nd, 2002, 12:59 PM
stuff&things

Default Many thanks AND another question

Thank you all so much! RCI seems to have more on board, but also stops at more ports. While we want to stop, we want plenty of days at sea too. The more stops you have, the more money you spend on excursions and the less time you have to take advantage of the things on board. At least that is what we found to be true of ourselves. The other thing I am wondering is the Camp Carnival for my 13 yr. old. She is sick that she isn't allowed in the teen disco at night - the sign said 16 and older on the Fantasy. So - all those in the know - what does Camp Carnival offer for 13 yr. olds?
Old November 29th, 2002, 09:27 AM
gt

Default virtual golf/ Navigator/NY Eve

Party of 8 sailing on NY Eve on the Navigator--how do you book virtual golf? (presailing)

How do you book the spa?(presailing)

Shore excursions in Jamaica with 4 kids 8 and under--suggestions please. . .how do you book a hotel that will let you borrow their facilities?
Feel free to email me suggestions. And thank you everyone.
Old December 13th, 2002, 03:05 PM
Teach

Default Re: Many thanks AND another question

We have been on 17 diffrent RCI ships and 8 Carnival and my observation of the childrens programs puts the voyager type ships way ahead. If you want more sea time and a privat island take the the ship that goes to the eastern ports . In San Juan pop into a cab for about $5 and start at El Moro and walk your way down to old townand the sights there then get a cab back to the ship and save a bundle same in VI go off ship and deal direct with a cab to go to St. Johns or any beach or shopping.