Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 2nd, 2002, 05:28 AM
Beginner

Default Transatlantic on Splendour

I am booked on the Transatlantic Lisbon - Galveston cruise on the Splendour next year. This will be my first cruise. How many formal evening will there be and how formal are they? (Tux or suit) If anyone has been on a transatlantic cruise how is the sailing?
Sponsored Links
Old December 2nd, 2002, 06:43 AM
RTX

Default Re: Transatlantic on Splendour

I was on this year's Transatlantic Splendour from Barcelona to Galveston and the sailing was wonderful. We had smooth seas all the way and some days the ocean was almost glassy smooth. Hope this holds true for you.
As for formal nights, I believe there were 3 formal, about 3 or 4 casual, and the rest were all smart casual. On formal nights there was a split between tuxedos and suits with also many in just sport jackets and ties and some with jackets and no ties. I would say you would be totally comfortable going either route. I did notice that each formal night became progressively less formal with the last one having those wearing tuxes in a true minority.
Enjoy the cruise. All the sea days are incredibly relaxed and enjoyable. In fact I am also contemplating this cruise as well since this year's was so pleasant.
Old December 25th, 2002, 06:06 PM
quetico

Default Re: Transatlantic on Splendour

Olly... we're looking at the return trip for the splendour on May 9/03. I'm trying to find flights into Galveston, with no luck...just Houston. I'm trying to find car rentals, pickup in Houston (HOU) and drop off in Galveston, again with no luck. How far is it from Houston airport to the Galveston docks, and where are the docks in Galveston? Can't find any reference to them on any map. Is there a shuttle from the Houston airports to the docks?
Q
Old January 16th, 2003, 01:28 AM
glynna

Default Re: Re: Transatlantic on Splendour

QUETICO,

WE JUST BOOKED FOR THE MAY 9TH SPLENDOUR CRUISE. WE ARE LOCATED IN NORTH CENTRAL OKLAHOMA. WE WILL BE DRIVING DOWN TO DALLAS AND LEAVING OUR CAR THERE AND RENTING A CAR TO DRIVE ON DOWN TO HOUSTON WHERE WE ARE TURNING IT IN. WE WOULD PREFER TO TAKE IT ALL THE WAY TO GALVESTON BUT THAT ISN'T THE WAY IT WORKS AS WE'RE FINDING OUT. WE HAVE FOUND IT IS MUCH CHEAPER FOR US TO FLY HOME FROM BARCELONA TO DALLAS RATHER HOUSTON SO THAT IS WHY WE ARE CHOOSING TO LEAVE OUR OWN CAR IN DALLAS. WE ARE CURANTLY CHECKING IN TO THE TRANSFER FROM HOUSTON ON DOWN TO GALVESTON VIA SHUTTLE OR TAXI SERVICE. IT DOES NOT APEAR THAT YOU CAN RETURN RENTAL CARS TO GALVESTON, IT MUST BE AN AIRPORT LOCATION IN HOUSTON. LET'S STAY IN TOUCH AND MAYBE WE CAN SHARE INFORMATION AS WE GET IT.
Old January 27th, 2003, 11:03 PM
JudyM

I live and work in Galveston. Galveston's airport doesn't handle commercial flights. William P. Hobby is the closest . It is in South Houston, 40 miles from Galveston. Houston Intercontinental is 70 miles from Galveston.

I believe Galveston Limousine Service has shuttles running all day between Galveston and the airports. Galveston's docks are located on Harborside Drive.

Hope this helps you out. We've been on the Sun Princess to Alaska and the Celebration out of Galveston. We're booked on the Splendour in December to the Panama Canal. We haven't sailed Royal Caribbean before. Can't wait!
Old February 23rd, 2003, 01:38 PM
Beginner

We are also booked on the 5/9/03 crossing. I am from Galveston, but now live in Dallas, and have taken several cruises from Galveston. Email me if I can help guide you in any way.
John Winslow
Old February 23rd, 2003, 01:44 PM
Beginner

Quetico,
By the way - transportation from either Houston airport is available at www.galvestonlimo.com . Hobby airport is about 30 minutes closer to Galveston, but doesn't have as many interstate flights.