Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 22nd, 2002, 01:09 PM
Barbara R.

Default Sea Princess VS Vision of the Seas

Have only cruised on Celebrity. Am trying to decide on Vision of Seas (RC) or Sea Princess for an April Mexican cruise. Both leave from LA so very convenient. No travel involved.
Does anyone have an opinion. My husband and I love to dance. Not into the shows. We like good food.
Sponsored Links
Old January 3rd, 2003, 05:47 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Sea Princess VS Vision of the Seas

I'd be curious as to what others say. I'm booked on the 10 night Sun Princess to the Mexican Riviera for April 15 and just noticed that the Vision of the Seas is doing the same itinerary for 7 nights. We sailed on the Star Princess last Spring and thought she was a gorgeous ship. I would like to try an RCI cruise, but not sure if I should give up my 10 night sailing on the Sun Princess. If it were the Radiance of the Seas or other newer and larger RCI ship, I would have no problem. Any comments?
Old January 3rd, 2003, 06:34 PM
10X

I'll try to let you know in another month. We did the Vision to Hawaii in February 2002 and will doing back-to-back on the Sea Princess, 1-25-03 and 2-1-03. You'll love the Vision, and if the Sea Princess is up to Princess standards, you wouldn't go wrong with either pick.
Old January 4th, 2003, 11:41 AM
Bil Lynch

Hi Barbara R.,

We just booked the Vison for May 4 so I'm also curious to hear responses. We're getting excited to go.

Our friends took the Princess (Star?) last year on the same Mexican Rivera itinerary and didn't seem that enthused when the got back. They've always liked Royal Carribean best.

We've only been on RCCL and have had nothing but wonderful experiences.

I guess there are some SUPER deals on cruises now. We got category F (ocean view) for only $754 / person including taxes and port charges.

Thanks, Bill L.
Old January 4th, 2003, 01:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Barbara -

Have not been on Princess, however, have cruised 32 times and been on Vision of the Seas three times and preparing for a fourth Mex. Riv. March 2nd sailing. We love the Vision class vessels. Have also been on Radiance, Brilliance (Radiance class) and Voyager (Eagle class) and we keep coming back to the Vision class vessels. Don't think you'll be dissapointed. If you are booking verandah cabin - go aft. Huge verandah.

Good luck

Leslie

Vision - 3/2/03
Monarch - 6/03
Radiance - 8/03
Mercury - 11/03
Old January 6th, 2003, 09:03 PM
Dolores

Hi Barbara,

Just returned yesterday from Vision of the Seas. All in all, I thought it was very mediocre in every way. I thought the ship looked a little tired. The carpets and windows were very dirty, which surprised me.

Food was OK, entertainment was OK, service was OK but nothing that would knock you over. We did have a good time, maybe my expectations were too high. My kids (ages 15, 10 and 6) had a great time. We paid top dollar for the cruise because it was a New Years saling so that may have something to do with my disappointment .

Never cruised on Princess but we did see the Sea Princess at some of our ports of call and it was beautiful. Have a great time whatever you decide!

--Dolores
Old January 6th, 2003, 09:26 PM
BillG

Have sailed on Dawn Princess and most of the Vision Class ships (but not specifically the Vision of the Seas). Vision is the newest of the Vision Class ships, and really not that "old" unless you are one who insists on being on the newest ship, and IMHO compares quite favorably to the Dawn and Sea Princess. Outside staterooms with verandahs are larger on RCI Vision class ships than on the Sea Princess for example, and I also feel the traffic patterns are better. The Solarium with its retractable roof and hot tubs is an RCI feature I missed on Dawn Princess (I, however, do not have the aversion to saltwater pools that some on these boards evince). That said, I generally would prefer a 10 night cruise over a 7 night and the differences in the two ships might not make enough of a difference to you to overcome the difference in length. I have really never been on a cruise ship that wasn't constantly being cleaned and polished, and while there is certainly an amount of wear and tear on any ship (especially when you consider how many people sail on her each year) I think you may have to look hard and long to find any indication that either ship is showing its age. Check out the prices, compare the itineraries and see just how much available time you have before making your decision.
Old January 8th, 2003, 08:22 PM
Bill Lynch

Evidently, on April 1, the Vision of The Seas will go into the yards for two weeks for an annual freshen-up which should include painting and carpeting.

Coming out of the yards in mid April she sails the Mexican Rivera for 2 weeks from Los Angeles then 2 weeks from San Diego.

On May 18 she sails to Hawaii from Ensenada then from Hawaii to Vancouver for a summer of Alaskan cruises.

If you sail her in April you should be quite pleased because she will be bathed and perfumed with fresh clothes and make-up.
Old January 10th, 2003, 04:40 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Sea Princess VS Vision of the Seas

We're a group of 11 and just off the New Years Vision cruise. We had a wonderful time and thought the service and food was outstanding.....much better than Celebrity's Millie which we were on last summer. If you want to nit-pik about a stain on the carpet, then you're cruise will be ruined because people were spilling drinks on New Years Eve, but if you're looking for a very good menu and good food, a beautiful ship, excellent service and a great cruise director, then the Vision is for you!
Eileen
Old January 10th, 2003, 07:29 PM
Dolores

Default Re: Re: Re: Sea Princess VS Vision of the Seas

I certainly wasn't nit-picking, I just thought the ship didn't shine like it should and I was disappointed with the food (we were hard pressed to even get warm food let alone hot).

We did have a good time but I think my expectations were too high in some areas. Considering that I paid $6,800 for a family of five I was expecting a little more.
Old January 11th, 2003, 01:38 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Sea Princess VS Vision of the Seas

Yikes...sorry...I didn't read your letter before I answered the original question...
I really wasn't talking about you, just people in general who always complain about carpet stains. I was just explaining that since they are going on the trip soon, there may be carpet stains because I saw many drinks spilling over.
We were at first seating, table 220, and had wonderful service and one thing we commented on was how hot our soups, etc. were. I'm sure it could have to do with the server and how quickly he gets the food to you.
I'd be upset, also, if the food wasn't hot. We paid top dollar...matter of fact, my daughter got married on the cruise before the ship pulled out and we also had the reception on the cruise. Between 11 people, 5 cabins, wedding, reception, and misc, I'll bet we plunked down over $25 grand, so I'd be spitting bullets! !! I don't thnk we'd ever take a holiday cruise again because of the high price, but since it was "the wedding" we just bit the dust. A land wedding was going to run close to $20,000 and this way we all got to go on the honeymoon!
Honest..no offense...I wasn't refering to your comments.
Old January 13th, 2003, 07:51 PM
Dolores

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sea Princess VS Vision of the Seas

Hi Eileen, Wow, I bet you did plunk down some $$$!! Yikes! We must have been sitting very close to each other. We were at table 226 first sitting. I too would probably not cruise again at that time of year because of the price. We are sailing on the new RCI Navigator of the Seas on 4/19 and, even though it's spring break, we still paid substantially less than our New Years Cruise.

Sounds like you had a great time, what a fun thing to do for a wedding.

--Dolores