Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 1st, 2003, 08:35 PM
quetico

Default splendour deck 8 rear balconies

Can anyone recall the rear balcony configuration on the Splendour? Deck 8 is right below the sport deck, I think. Are there canopies over the decks, or can people on deck 9 look right down on your balcony?
Has anyone done the transatlantic cruise from Galveston to Barcelona? What kind of weather should I expect in the Azores and that area in May?
Q
Sponsored Links
Old January 1st, 2003, 08:43 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: splendour deck 8 rear balconies

Did an aft-facing balcony on the Splendour a few years back and it was deck 8 on the corner. And the answer is yes and no...balcony is partially covered due to the configuration of the ship. If you are out sunning or standing at the rail, you can be seen from above. This is no big deal and it's easy to forget that you can seen. The balconies are so large at the rear that there are 2 chairs for sitting AND 2 chaise lounges (plus room to walk around them). Enjoy!
Old January 2nd, 2003, 07:07 AM
quetico

Default Re: Re: splendour deck 8 rear balconies

Thnaks Robbie... I'm wondering what the corner units had beside them... the floor plans just how empty space. What exactly was there on the corner side of your balcony?
Q
Old January 2nd, 2003, 09:18 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Re: splendour deck 8 rear balconies

We had #8080 and even though the layout shows a blank area beside it, I am almost certain that was just the way the ship wrapped around. Creates even more privacy on the side but then again you can't look to the side as much (which we have never cared about since the aft view is SO good). Also since you are going transatlantic, the extra room is nice for the sea days BUT remember that IF you or anyone in your party is prone to motion sickness, the aft cabins are not the place to be. We went through a MAJOR storm (50 foot swell rating) on the "Vision of the Seas" during her inaugural crossing and we loved it BUT we are not prone to any kind of motion sickness. This was off the Canadian coastline though and most ships don't take the "route of the vikings" any more.
Old January 2nd, 2003, 08:45 PM
quetico

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: splendour deck 8 rear balconies

Are you saying that the aft rooms would be more affected by waves than, say the bow or midships? I always thought that the props would more or less anchor the rear so that it would move less ... guess I was wrong?
Q
Old January 3rd, 2003, 11:51 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: splendour deck 8 rear balconies

It's kind of like a see-saw..the ship will want to go straight into in oncoming waves, IF there even are any and the ship will move accordingly. That is why so many people request mid-ship but for people like me, whe love the motion, it is fantastic. The route you would take is smoother than the one I took but just wanted you to know in case it might have an effect on someone in your party. The rooms are the same size in each category but the aft-facing balconies are the nice perk.
Old January 16th, 2003, 12:16 AM
glynna

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: splendour deck 8 rear balconies

WE JUST BOOKED FOR THE TRANSATLANTIC FROM GALVESTON TO BARCELONA MAY 9TH. 5 IN OUR PARTY, 3 OF US ON DECK 6 INTERIOR AND THE OTHER 2 ARE ON DECK 2. HAVE YOU MET ANYONE ELSE ON HERE WHO IS JOINING US? I JUST FOUND THIS SITE TONIGHT.