Old January 7th, 2003, 09:30 AM
Bobby Sue

Default Advice on St. Lucia Please

Can someone give me advice on the best way to see St. Lucia in the short period the ship is there? It is from 10:30 to 5:30, I think. I usually don't care to take the ship's shore excursions and prefer to hire a cab or van myself, but I'm wondering if this is feasable in that length of time. I would particularly like to see the Pitons and anything else of interest, but preferably on my own. Any help would be appreciated.
Old January 7th, 2003, 05:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Advice on St. Lucia Please

Hi Bobby,
We too have a stop there next month and have no idea whats best to do. Please let me know if you hear of anything thats just not to be missed. Would kind of like to spend a few hours at a lovely beach, have you heard of any really nice ones?

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 7th, 2003, 08:55 PM
michealf

I found a great website for St. Lucia and other caribbean islands. It is cruiseprofessionals.com and it shows webcam pictures of each beach. It really helped me decide what beach I wanted to go to when we cruise on the Radiance in Feb. Last year we did the pitons and sulpher springs thing and the ride there was 1-2 hrs on terrible roads. My children all got car sick. Not a pretty sight, so this time I plan on spending our day on a beach close to port.
Old January 7th, 2003, 09:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Advice on St. Lucia Please

Hi Mich,
I will check that site out, thanks. We're on Radiance 2-22, how about U?

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 7th, 2003, 10:08 PM
Bobby Sue

Thanks for the info. I guess I need to think beach while we are there, also. My husband is really prone to motion sickness, and I'm really prone to fear of terrible roads! I'll check out the website.
Old January 7th, 2003, 11:18 PM
Browezilla

Default Re: Re: Re: Advice on St. Lucia Please

The best thing I've done on St. Lucia is to take a Catamaran ride up the coast to the Pitons. It is absolutely beautiful. If you have the time for this, I strongly recommend it.
Old January 8th, 2003, 06:00 AM
Bobby Sue

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Advice on St. Lucia Please

Great idea! Then I would get to see them and avoid the bad roads. Did you do that through the ship excursions or privately?
Old January 8th, 2003, 09:04 PM
Browezilla

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Advice on St. Lucia Please

I went through the ship excursion. Your time on the island is fairly short, so I would be sure that if you go with a non-ship excursion that they can get you back in plenty of time.
Old January 14th, 2003, 12:09 PM
Jason Karnitz

My advice in Saint Lucia is stay close to the ship. We had fun there, but Saint Lucia just seemed more like the port that everyone hung tight to the ship. We went on Radiance in Feb of 2002. There are little shops close to the ship that are fun. St, Lucia is where we played mini-golf onboard Radiance.........we also played pool on the self leveling pool tables! The only real uncomfortable thing about St. Lucia was the extremely high humidity. It was difficult for many people to breath I noticed......I just didn't like how every body part was sticking together!!! We still had a blast. E-mail me if anyone has questions about those ports on Radiance. We're leaving Feb 9 - 16 on Voyager to the western Caribbean, should be fun once again!
Old January 14th, 2003, 02:43 PM
Bobby Sue

Thanks to all. I think I like the ship excursion catamaran idea for this particular island and so will plan on booking that ahead of time. That way I don't have to worry about getting back to the ship on time.
Old January 14th, 2003, 03:35 PM
Browezilla

Good choice Bobby Sue. I took this and loved it! It has been one of my favorite ship excursions!
Old January 19th, 2003, 08:48 AM
Mary Martin

Hi Bobby Sue,
You made a great choice. When we sailed to St. Lucia in 2000 aboard the Monarch of the Seas, we did the 8 hr excursion, that took us on a catamaran cruise to the pitons, we then as part of the excursion was taken up to the sulphur springs (I recommend a heavy dose of perfume on your t-shirt or scarf to place over your nose, it smells like rotten eggs) then it was back down to a plantation where the grow bananas, coconuts, and cocoa beans. They give you a sample of the coconut and cocoa beans which they refer to as a caribbean M & M , it was alittle to slimy for my taste. They show you how they make these into sticks to ship out to be made into chocolate, very interesting. Then it was back to the catamaran for lunch (tasted pretty good) and on to a small rocky beach are to swim,a tour through a small cove and back to the ship. St. Lucia is a lovely island very green and plush. Have a great time.
Mary Martin
[email protected]
Old January 19th, 2003, 11:39 AM
Bobby Sue

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm more excited every day. St. Lucia wasn't on the itinerary the last time we did the Southern Caribbean. It was Martinique instead. It is the only one of the islands I haven't been to before, so I wanted to do it right. This sounds great.
Old January 30th, 2003, 08:18 AM
Cally

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Advice on St. Lucia Please

Bobby Sue,

My husband and I stayed in St. Lucia and took the catamaran trip to Soffries and the Botanical gardens where we swan under a waterfall (fantastic) and the sulphur springs (which absolutely did smell like rotten eggs and was not very impressive to us). But we had a great time sailing and eating at a local restaurant in Soffries. I think the favorite part of our trip was walking through the City of Castries and eating at the Market place which is very primitive but the food was good. We purchased spices and t-shirts for dirt cheap. What ever you do, don't just stay in the tourists areas - get out and meet the natives, everyone is friendly and eager to please. Have a great time, Cally.
Old January 31st, 2003, 02:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Joyce

We did the catamaran to the Pitons -- en route stopped at a beach and for snorkeling. A wonderful tour.
Old February 5th, 2003, 12:35 PM
Summit Sailer

Default Take the catamaran to the Cocoa Plantation

The highlight of our excursions in December was the catamaran trip to cocoa plantation. Important to note that by taking the catamaran you avoid the awful bus trip through the winding roads!! WE LOVED THIS EXCURSION!