Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 12th, 2003, 05:46 PM
R&R

Default Hotels in Galveston, TX

Has anyone stayed in the Commodore on the Beach? We are debating staying in the Best Western Beachfront, Commodore on the Beach, or the EconoLodge. Does anyone have any recommedations or information about either of these hotels? What about leaving your car at the hotel while you are on the cruise? How much is taxi ride to the terminal? Is it better to stay where you can take a shuttle and be picked up by the shuttle, or to take a taxi? How difficult is it to get a taxi after debarkation?
Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2003, 01:47 AM
Yvonne

Default Re: Hotels in Galveston, TX

I have been looking at hotels in Galveston. We are leaning towards the Harbor House at Pier 21(I hope I got this right). It is two blocks from the Strand (lots of shopping and restaurants) and 4 blocks from the cruise dock. I believe they have a shuttle too. The web site looks really nice. Be careful of some of the hotels on the Seawall - some of them are kind of seedy. Personally, I'd rather stay in the Strand than on the Seawall. Remember, Mardi Gras is going on from Feb 21 to March 4 so weekend rates in Galveston are going to be quite high. A room at the Harbor House that goes for $79 on Sunday night is $200 on Saturday night.

We are taking a shuttle from Bush Int. after flying in from Anchorage. Galveston Limo was recommended by the hotel.

Enjoy your cruise!
Old January 16th, 2003, 12:57 AM
glynna

SAILED OUT OF GALVESTON LAST MONTH AND WE SPENT THE NIGHT BEFORE AT THE HARBOR HOUSE HOTEL WHICH IS LOCATED RIGHT THERE ON THE DOCK JUST A BLOCK FROM THE SHIP TERMINAL. I CAN'T TELL YOU ABOUT THE OTHERS YOU ARE IN IQUIRING ABOUT. THE HARBOR HOUSE WAS VERY NICE, BIG ROOMS AND FRIENDLY. LOVED THE LOCATION AND FOR 20 DOLLARS, THEY ALLOWED US TO PARK THERE THE 10 DAYS WE WERE AT SEA. WE WILL SAIL FROM THERE AGAIN IN MAY AND WILL CERTAINLY STAY THERE. GOOD LUCK TO YOU.
Old January 16th, 2003, 01:42 PM
Pam H

Stayed at the Commodore last October. Nice hotel, clean, all rooms have balcony facing the gulf, nice pool area & good price. The hotel shuttled us to the pier & we left our car at the hotel at no cost. They do have security cameras in the parking area. On return from our cruise we could not locate the shuttle so hired a cab back to the Commadore. I think the cost was approximately $10.00.
Old January 16th, 2003, 06:39 PM
lonnie bear

Default Re: Re: Hotels in Galveston, TX

GO TO GALVESTON.COM LOOK AT HOTELS, LOTS OF INFO. GET THE NUMBERS OF THE HOTELS YOU LIKE AND CALL THEM DIRECTLY FOR INFO ON CRUISING AND PARKING. WE HAVE SAILED OUT TWICE AND STAYED AT THE HARBOUR HOUSE ON THE PIER, SECURE PARKING FOR $20.00 VERY NICE HOTEL. YOUR EXCITMENT WILL BUILD IF YOU GET TO SEE ANOTHER CRUISE SHIP DISEMBARKING THE DAY BEFORE. FRIENDS IN GALVESTON TELL ME YOUR CAR IS JUST AS SAFE AT A HOTEL AS AT THE TERMINAL PARKING, AROUND $10.00 A DAY.
Old January 21st, 2003, 12:45 AM
Sandra M

Default Re: Re: Hotels in Galveston, TX

Hi,
We are booked at Gaidos Sea Side Inn on the seawall before our cruise. Has anyone stayed there? It is priced very reasonable. I don't care about older just clean. The cruise is our holiday and a clean ecnomical hotel is what we need ...........is this it? Please respond if you have any info it's not to late for us to cancel!!! Thanks Happy Sailing, Sandra
Old January 21st, 2003, 01:56 PM
noslen3333

I've heard that the victorian condo has a "cruise special" that allows you to leave your car for the cruise. They have a shuttle that takes you there and then picks you up. Rooms run around $120 or so. The parking is free and they have security after 6pm. Hope this helps.
Old January 31st, 2003, 10:13 AM
FDDodger

Default Re: Re: Re: Hotels in Galveston, TX

Gaido's has been a very popular seafood resturant in Galveston for many years, something like 50 years. The food is great, I've heard that they purchased this place and fixed it up. I have never been but I can bet that it may not be fancy but it will be clean since this will be a indication to people of what to expect in the restaurant. Hope I'm right...
Old January 31st, 2003, 11:03 AM
Dianna

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Hotels in Galveston, TX

A tradition of excellence for over 85 years. Back in 1911 when our great-grandfather, S.J. Gaido, first opened his restaurant, visitors often arrived by boat or on the old interurban line. Our family's commitment was to make the trip worthwhile, with the best in service and the finest in seafood.

Today, the trip to Galveston is much easier, but the service and cuisine of Gaido's restaurant remains the same. All of our seafood is meticulously inspected and prepared by hand. We still peel shrimp, shuck oysters, and filet fish the old fashioned way as we have for the last eighty years, and we are not about to change. All of our sauces, salad dressings, and desserts are homemade from Gaido's family recipes, using only the finest of fresh ingredients.

Four generations of Gaido's have committed themselves to excellence. Come sample our famous oyster platter or have our snapper prepared any way you'd like. It's all waiting for you on Seawall Boulevard at 39th Street. Seating is done on a first come, first serve basis. Sorry, reservations are not accepted.
Old January 31st, 2003, 07:06 PM
lbear

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Hotels in Galveston, TX

Gaido's is very good, expect a wait on busy days. The price is around $15.00 to $22.00, more or less depending if you drink from the bar or not. It is very good. The hotel is clean and nice. Be carefull crossing Seawall Blvd. to the beach.
Old February 5th, 2003, 10:08 AM
Happy Camper

We stayed at the San Luis Hotel on the Seawall. If you want to be by the ocean I'd definitely recommend staying on the Seawall. The San Luis is very nice and elegant and is $150 a night for the cheapest room. It is the nicest hotel on the Seawall. They also are not on the discount sites as they are a privately owned hotel. Their pool is heated and it looks like an all inclusive resort. Anyway you can park for free in their attached garage parking with a security guard. We went to Galveston before our cruise and checked out all the hotels and settled on that one. The Strand is good for shopping but we are more beach people. We stayed at the Tremonte once on the Strand and it is an old historic hotel and nice. I'm not that historic so it seemed old to me - I like modern. The Galvez on the Seawall is ok and has garage parking next to the hotel but not attached and you can leave your car there for free and the Hilton the the Seawall will allow you to keep your car there for free. At the SanLuis the bell hop guys took us to the pier in a lIncoln towncar for free - I tipped good of course! When we came back we decided to just get a cab instead of calling the San Luis and the cabbies there decided to ream us blind and charged us $12 for the 5 min. ride. These are the only hotels open I have stayed at personally. The Hitlon and the Holiday Inn are right next to the San Luis and there is a Rainforest Cafe that just opened right next to the hotels. Also there is a Kroger within 2 blocks to get anything last minute you need and an IHop for breakfast and a Landry's Seafood for lunch and dinner. We stayed at the Flagship too but I think they are going to be redoing it into something else so that is why I didn't list it.. One other idea is the Moody Gardens hotel. It is on the Moddy Gardens complex with a lot to do and has garage parking but it also runs over $100. Some hotels have deals if you call them and say you are going on the cruise. The Tremonte and Galvez are $99 a night for Carnival but if you go on RCL they will not discount you because they have a contract with RCL for their pre and post cruise hotel stays. Hilton is $99 a night and park for free on the Seawall. I just didn't like the outdoor unsecure parking. Many people on my last cruise stayed there and left their cars there and everything was fine. They were also shuttled back and forth to the pier for free. Debbie
Old February 5th, 2003, 10:17 AM
Happy Camper

Default Re: Re: Re: Hotels in Galveston, TX

I'm not farmiliar with that hotel.. Most of them like that are also condos. I hesitate to say it is ok unless I have stayed there because there are some really not so nice hotels on the Seawall. I posted under this post farther down this post the ones I would recommend from personal experience. It might be fine but it might not. Sorry I can't be more help. Personally I'd try ones that people have stayed at and look at that one while you are there for future reference. Debbie
Old February 5th, 2003, 10:18 AM
Happy Camper

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hotels in Galveston, TX

Sorry - I didn't see Ibear's post recommending it. I'm sure it is nice then. Debbie
Old February 5th, 2003, 11:53 PM
Yvonne

A reminder that Mardi Gras is from 2/21 to 3/4....so, finding a room may be difficult and overpriced on the weekends. I have a room reserved at the Harbor House which goes for $79 on Sunday but was $200 on Saturday. Leaving a car in a hotel parking lot may also be difficult and not as safe as usual.
Old February 13th, 2003, 02:51 PM
Bill & Deb

Thanks for all the good info. We're going in May and will be flying into IAH.
Old February 13th, 2003, 02:51 PM
Bill & Deb

?
Old February 13th, 2003, 04:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Living in Texas I've spent many summers in Galveston. We sailed on the Rhapsody this past June out of Galveston, stayed at the Victorian Condos. Very nice. The shuttle picks you up at the front door around 11:00am and takes you directly to the terminal. No hassle at all and is there to pick you up the minute you come off the ship. We are staying at the Harbour House this year (went and checked it out last year) it has very good reviews. Embakation was the fastest I've ever seen on Rhapsody. Beautiful ship, lots of ship board entertainment and there's always something going on around the pool.