Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 17th, 2003, 05:09 PM
Passenger

Default Bringing own beer and bottle water on Board

Can you bring your own case of beer and case of bottled water on board without having to sneak it on?
Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2003, 05:56 PM
lonnie bear

Default Re: Bringing own beer and bottle water on Board

We have never had problems with water. The beer they may or may not confiscate, we never tried but have heard of cases when they allowed and others when they did not, I guess it depends on the person checking you through. They sell alcohol by the bottle on board tax and duty free with a consumption fee that added together is about the same price you would pay in a liquor store. The pool bar usually has specials that change daily for a bucket of beer, usually domestic, for around $8.00 a bucket of five.
Old January 19th, 2003, 06:45 PM
AR

Kinda makes it tough to pack light, doesn't it?

Or is it light beer <g>?

AR
Old January 19th, 2003, 08:51 PM
Admiral

Whether you can "sneak" it on or not is hardly the issue. You are going off on an elegant and exciting vacation (not to some kind of tail gate party)... probably spending several thousand dollars in the process. Why in the world would you want to drag on a case of beer and water... to save a couple of dollars? In the overall context of the cruise cost and related expenses, it really is peanuts and considered by many to be bad form. Spend the couple of extra bucks and go on board like gentlepeople and enjoy!

Post Edited (01-19-03 20:53)
Old January 20th, 2003, 11:43 AM
DDanko

Nicely put Ernie!
Old January 21st, 2003, 12:58 PM
Passenger

Way to go Ernie,
As you say we are spending $$$ then to try and save on buying your drinks, why have we become a society with no class? The casual thing has just gone to far, to the point where no one cares what they do or say and how it affects the ones around them.
From screaming kids whom the parents think are so cute, to wearing ts and shorts in the dinning room, smoking cigars by the pool or anywhere else on board, be loud and crass in the public arears, where did all our manners go? I am also speaking for myself, why don't we all try to be consideate of others on these cruises make it a wonderful vacation for everyone on board, not just Me, Me, Me, Buck
Old January 22nd, 2003, 11:17 AM
Captain

Based on the replies above, it would appear that one can buy a bottle of liquor for cabin consumption onboard for about the retail price at home, and can buy buckets of five beers for about $8. Under these circumstances, we'd see no reason to bring liquor or beer in our checked luggage onboard. Too much weight and trouble, and the onboard prices for these things are fine.

But soda and bottled water? That's different. Soda from $1.50 to $3.00 and bottled water in the $4 range is just a "rip". So, given RCI's policies and pricing, I'd use the suitcase room and weight for soda and bottled water instead.

Thanks,
Richard
Old January 22nd, 2003, 11:43 AM
DDanko

If you want soda, get a soda card. It is like $30.00 for unlimited soda. You can get this at any bar. Also, water on the ship (from the tap) is free, and clean. Some people balk at this, but you shower with it, drink it in your tea and coffee and it makes your ice, so it is safe. Just carry on a couple bottles, and fill them when they are empty and put them in your mini bar to keep cold.
Old January 22nd, 2003, 01:28 PM
Captain

Default Re: Re: Bringing own beer and bottle water on Board

Ddanko:

If this $30 soda card will also get you included cans of soda for your room (will it?) then I say "problem solved!" Refilling bottles of water is also a good idea. But if the soda card won't get me cans of it for my room, I think I'd still bring some with me. To my knowlege, RCI has no objection to carry on of non-alcoholic drinks, do they?

Thanks,
Richard
Old January 22nd, 2003, 05:44 PM
lbear

This is excactly what we do, if you mix you're own and have a few beers it comes out cheaper than going out seven nights in a row at you're local sports bar, after all you are on vacation and a good time will always cost something. I usually feel good from dawn to dusk.
Old January 22nd, 2003, 06:48 PM
susancruzs

I am a major, major water drinker and I have never, ever brought water with me. I leave home with my sports bottle and just constantly fill it up! Leaving for an excursion I put mostly ice and a little water and that beats the warm bottles they are selling in the hall or out on the dock.

If anything, I might buy a bottle of water while off the ship at a store but only because I'm thirsty not to "sneak" onboard. I have traveled alot (exc. Med and Far East) and I have yet to get sick from water.

Susie
Old January 22nd, 2003, 08:11 PM
Admiral

Well... lets say that you buy 25 1-litre bottles of water on board (they're available at any bar on most ships, already cooled)... so we're talking maybe $100 or so over a 7 night cruise... maybe less. What's the deal? You paid several thousands of dollars for the cruise... gonna drag on a weeks worth of water to save.... what? maybe $50 bucks? I just don't get it!

Post Edited (01-22-03 20:12)
Old January 23rd, 2003, 11:40 AM
Captain

I think you will all find as to non alcoholic beverages, there is no need to "sneak anything on." There's a history behind this issue. Before June, 2001, it was RCI's policy that you could bring ANY beverage aboard, openly! Before then, you could also buy a bottle of liquor in the ships store for your cabin at duty free prices. It was a pretty open situation, and many TAs actually "sold" RCI based on the benefits of this to some cruisers. Then in June, 2001, RCI abruptly and without advance notice began removing all beer and liquor from carry ons, and holding these items for the duration. RCI found it harder to control contents of checked luggage (as NCL is experiencing now), so RCI instituted a program of selling liquor in their stores for cabin use with an up-charge that still kept it in US retail range. (Unfortunately, they don't sell beer quite that way.) To do all this contractually, RCI relies on a "right to restrict alcohol" provision. Personally, under present or past policies, I have never brought on liquor in my checked luggage, as there is no reason to do so.

But the "right to restrict alcohol" contract provision obviously does not apply to non alcoholic beverages like soda, etc. Guests can carry these things on at will. To compete with this, RCI has instituted the "soda card" program which provides soda at a reasonable price and eliminates the necessity of hauling the heavy stuff. Only problem you've got to get the soda at the bar, and sometimes it's a long haul from your room to an open bar when you want a coke at night.

Thanks,
Richard
Old January 23rd, 2003, 01:30 PM
Passenger

What did this guy say????
Old January 23rd, 2003, 03:11 PM
Captain

Default Re: Re: Re: Bringing own beer and bottle water on Board

Buck: I thought it was pretty clear. Before June '01, you could bring on ANY beverage onboard openly from anywhere. After than, RCI's policy has "waffled around" a bit, but now appears to be this. You can buy a room bottle of liquor on the ship for duty free price plus $9. (Which is about US retail.) You can buy a soda card for included sodas for $30 a week. You can buy a bucket of five beers for $8 or so. You can openly carry on NON ALCOHOLIC beverages from any port. They probably won't check your checked luggage for liquor or beer. But as far as liquor goes, they sell it on the ship for about the retail price I pay at home, so why lug it?

Now, this is my understanding of the situation. Am I wrong?

Thanks,
Richard
Old January 23rd, 2003, 05:10 PM
Rep

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Bringing own beer and bottle water on Board

Hey, Babe, I thought you were very clear the first time you went through this. Thanks for making it simple.
Old February 3rd, 2003, 11:02 PM
NDJollyMon

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bringing own beer and bottle water on Bo

I just have beer delivered to my cabin through an outside agent. Legal, and saves me some cash on my bar tab. (I like to drink on my vacation) I also order bar drinks each day. No one loses. No carrying it in suitcases.
Old February 4th, 2003, 09:24 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bringing own beer and bottle water o

Please explain on how you used an outside agent to deliver beer to your room prior to departure? I would like to do the same---thanks for your help
Old February 8th, 2003, 08:00 PM
TexasAnn

Jayne,
I'm a huge water drinker.
Before our cruise 2 months ago, we bought 4 big bottles of water and stuck them in one of our suitcases. Can't even begin to tell you how much heavier that made things!

But as it turned out, our cabin steward kept the ice bucket filled at all times... the water out of the tap tasted great, and I only ended up drinking one bottle of the water. (I carried it in our backpack when we went on shore.)

Knowing what I know now, I'm just going to get one of those sports bottles that you can refill and carry it on EMPTY! Weighs a lot less and leaves me valuable room in my suitcase!

Can't say much for the beer question.

Ann
Old February 9th, 2003, 10:00 PM
MTDewBudLight

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bringing own beer and bottle water o

My spouse is a heavy MtDewer (pepsi vs. coke) and I prefer Bud Light and frequently more than five. Please explain the outside agent.