Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 19th, 2003, 05:55 PM
Wanting To Cruise

Default RCL vs. Holland America

I'd appreciate any opinions from the forum as to preferences for Holland America over RCL based on personal experience. I've heard lots of good things about Holland America and wonder if it really is a superior experience overall. Hopefully there are some folks out there who have sailed on both and would care to comment. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2003, 08:57 PM
Admiral

Default Re: RCL vs. Holland America

All cruise lines are not created equal... as your post seems to assume. Holland America and Celebrity are at the top of the Premium Brands, by Industry measuring standards, and Royal Caribbean is in the mid range. There are significant differences in their cruise product, including space ratio's, crew/passenger ratio's, $ spent on food, and on and on. These are very succinct and precise measurements. It does not, for a moment, mean that you cannot prefer RCI over HAL, or whatever. The real test here is your own life style, likes, dislikes and preferences... and a good travel agent can help match those with a cruise line and/or ship that will best meet them.

Old January 20th, 2003, 10:19 AM
croozbabe

They are both superior products in my opinion. If it makes a difference to you, the vast majority of passengers on HAL are senior citizens. On RCI, the average age is in the 40's I would guess, and there will likely be more children. As far as food, entertainment, and service you can't go wrong with either cruiseline.
Old January 20th, 2003, 07:13 PM
Admiral

I greatly prefer H.A.L. to R.C.C.L. because of service, food, furnishings, cabin size, space in public spaces and many other considerations. R.C.C.L. is geared to a slightly younger crowd, if that is of importance to you. H.A.L. is more friendly and less impersonal in general.
Old January 23rd, 2003, 03:44 PM
Bill Lynch

My wife and I are 50 and although it may sound trite, we certainly don't want to be trapped on a cruise ship with a bunch of old fuddy-duddy stuck-in-the-muds complaining night and day.

Thanks for the warning so we can avoid Holland America.

(Whew, that was close! We almost booked a HAL cruise)

Now back to your regularly scheduled program......
Old January 31st, 2003, 11:19 AM
Dianna

things about Holland America and wonder if it really is a superior experience overall.

RCL is by far superior to Holland America IMO. I will never use Holland America again. I have had 4 cruises on RCL and loved each of them so much.
Old January 31st, 2003, 01:57 PM
Jerry Edgar

I would be hard-pressed to find a cruise line that I liked better than RCI. I am sure you would enjoy both, but I would put my money toward RCI anyday. I believe that these cruises are about 50% what you make them with the other 50 being the quality of the cruiseline/cruise itself.
Take care.
Jerry (www.smartbizop.com)
Old January 31st, 2003, 02:13 PM
Wanting To Cruise

Default Re: Re: RCL vs. Holland America

Dianna:
Greetings! Your response is a very positive vote for RCCL, but now I'm wondering why you say you would never sail with HAL? Bad experience?...or does RCCL just meet your expectations better? Thanks!
Old January 31st, 2003, 02:54 PM
Gary Karschnick

So much depends on what you want out of a cruise. I like both HAL and RCCL, but when pressed, I would prefer HAL because it seems more dignified to me. I don't like a carnival-like atmosphere with the PA system blasting and trying to "sell" me something. On HAL it seems quieter and more peaceful. BTW, we are leaving on a RCCL cruise in March, so we do like them also.
Old February 1st, 2003, 04:51 PM
croozbabe

Default Re: Re: Re: RCL vs. Holland America

Yes, I too am wondering why you would make such a statement about HAL without specifics to back it up...
Old February 1st, 2003, 06:20 PM
Dianna

Default Re: Re: Re: RCL vs. Holland America

Our family took a cruise to Alaska on the Amsterdam which is a Holland America line. Our 19 year old daughter was having coffee and one on of the maleforeign employees told our daughter that my husband was very ill and he needed to take her to us. She followed him to elevator and he pushed her from hall way onto deck and tried to force himself on her and kiss her. We reported the incident and filled out papers that were were given. We were told he would be fired and would not be allowed to work the rest of cruise which had 2 days remaining. He was working still because we saw him in main dining room so were turned to our rooms and had room service. After arriving in Vancover, we stayed two nights at a hotel across street from ship chanel. The person that had ruined our trip was on the deck of ship as it was leaving for another cruise to Alaska. We pointed at him as he saw us and was laughing. We were lied to and needless to say our cruise was ruined.We will never use Holland American nor recommend it to anyone.
Old February 2nd, 2003, 11:14 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: RCL vs. Holland America

Dianna,
Immediately write to HAL Corp. Headquarters and report the entire incident as factually and completely as you can including dates, times, names and to whom and when you reported all this information. HAL takes more than a dim view of this behaviour and I am shocked that this individual was not confined to his cabin until they returned and he could be removed from the ship. HAL, like all lines takes these types of reports very seriously and with zero tolerance. Why it wasn't done while onboard I don't know but obviously the report never went up the chain of command for some reason. This is another reason to report everything to HAL's main office. Heads will roll over this I can assure you.
Jim
Community Staff Leader