Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 11th, 2003, 09:16 AM
me4bama2

Default Any advice for 1st time cruisers?

Hi all!
We are going on Grandeur of the Seas in March.
We have seen several pics of ship and it seems to be pretty nice.
What is the rule about bringing on bottled water, soda's and beer in your luggage?
We have heard and read several different things.
Anything we should know in advance to make the best of our first cruise experience?
Also any thoughts of what to do in Grand Cayman, Cozumel or Progresso?
We are looking at a couple of excursions like snorkeling, stingray, the usual, but if there are any "HAVE TO GO TO" stops you know of, that would be great!

Thanks a bunch!!
Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2003, 09:23 AM
Browezilla

Default Re: Any advice for 1st time cruisers?

There are a lot of threads out here on this subject, and some articles posted from the home page also so you may want to scan those first.
I'll throw out 3 suggestions for you:

Pre-Trip: Research each port destination and plan ahead what you will do. Either a ship excursion or what you will do on your own. Be aware that the ship will leave on time, and you want to be back at a minimum 1/2 before then.

Packing: Include several different sized ziplock bags to use on the trip. Also, carry some SaranWrap. I know this seems odd, but you'll find a lot of uses for it. For example, I use it to tightly bind my books so that the page corners don't get all bent up.

During the Trip: Read the nightly pamplet of the next days activities. There are some real gems in there and is the best way to find out about all of the ships activities.
Old February 11th, 2003, 04:37 PM
Jim Munkittrick

You might get your soda, water, etc confiscated at the pier..No guarantee, but if it gets inspected, it may not make it on the ship.
You MUST do StingRay city!
Other musts: Once you baord, head to your cabin, drop your stuff and go EXPLORING!
Take long wlaks, find places, discover what a great week lies ahead of you!
One more really important thing: SMILE and say hello to others, it is a bummer when folks are restrained and don't meet other folks until the last day or two of a cruise...a smile and a hi will break down those walls and you will find that you will meet some really great folks
Old February 11th, 2003, 06:32 PM
me4bama2

Default Re: Re: Any advice for 1st time cruisers?

Thanks guys!
Every little bit of advice and encouragement helps!
I know we will have great time!
I'm sure I'll have more questions later!

Thanks!
Old February 11th, 2003, 07:14 PM
susancruzs

I always bring a sports bottle with me and just put ice in it from the bucket for excursions or the tap water. I don't bother trying to lug bottled water onboard, not because I don't want to buy it but why bother lugging extra weight?

I always put a tote bag (flat, empty) in my suitcase and then I use it for shore excursions, beach towel, cameras, etc. Don't bring a towel, the cruise lines provide them and they just take up too much room!

Don't forget a little travel alarm clock, you can use wake-up calls, but I find a little clock kind of nice to have.

Actually, if you go to the first-timers section on these boards, you'll see questions and answers that may help, too!

Don't be shy, though, ask away!!! I wish I would have had help when I took my first cruise!!!!

Susie
Old February 12th, 2003, 08:45 AM
me4bama2

Default Re: Re: Any advice for 1st time cruisers?

Thanks suancruzs!
Of course, I just thought of another question.
I check everyday on different sites to see how the prices change.
My cruise has dropped $200 since I first started looking. That is one reason we waited. Now that we have booked, it has dropped again $50.
Do the cruise lines credit you or does this mean we will be upgraded?
If anyone can answer this, THANKS!!!