Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 14th, 2003, 08:01 AM
DebbieF

Default Port x-ray machine dimension?

Was wondering if anyone knows the max allowable linear dimension of a carry on that could make it thru these machines? On Continental it is 51 linear inches, but on United it is 45 linear inches. My parents will be taking one airline, me the other so I am hoping that our bigger carryon bag will make it thru the port machine!
Sponsored Links
Old February 14th, 2003, 11:56 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Port x-ray machine dimension?

Sorry, I don't know. Recommend you call the cruise line, or if applicable, ask your TA to find out for you. Maybe someone else here has a better answer for you. Good luck and have a great cruise!

Old February 15th, 2003, 10:13 PM
mlbcruiser

Default Re: Re: Port x-ray machine dimension?

Three years ago we were cruising on the Grandeur of the Seas. I had seen other folks bringing really large duffle bags, suitcases and even cardboard boxes through the xray machines like carry-ons. I wanted to do that, too, since once our friends didn't get their luggage until the wee hrs. and figured it would just give me more time to put our stuff away before we sailed, etc. The following year, when we were heading towards the area where you go through the luggage check for a cruise on the Enchantment (still prior to the 9/11 incident, by the way), a female staff member stopped us and said we'd have to take the suitcase over to a porter. We could NOT bring it on w/us as it would not fit through the xray machine. I NICELY asked if I could try, and promised to bring it back down if it didn't work. She said no very strongly, and insisted I HAD to give it to a baggage handler and would not let me take it up w/me. She was very rude as well. As you might guess, once we got up to where the machines were, it was clear the suitcase would have fit in the opening of the xray machine. There were obviously some people who did get away w/"carrying on" some large suitcases, etc. My point is, no matter WHO you contact at Royal Caribbean, as with many other lines, the right hand sometimes doesn't know what the left is doing. I've seen it mentioned on messageboards that you should always bring a copy of any written answer that RCI gives you regarding anything. Sometimes the cust. service staff isn't truly aware of what goes on at the pier. Or the employees at the pier -well, one may let you do something another won't, and so forth. So, if you plan on trying it, make sure you still keep a smaller carryon w/you for the things you need that you might not be able to wait for. I can understand the reasoning if it had been a special secuity matter, but somehow I think it was just to help the baggage guys get tips.
Old February 16th, 2003, 10:15 AM
DebbieF

Default Re: Re: Re: Port x-ray machine dimension?

Mlb

Thanks for the advice! Also, thanks for the info for the embarkation papers. Please post after you get back and let us know if doing them online made it quicker to process
at check in. Have a great cruise!

Deb