Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 21st, 2003, 08:38 AM
sdakan

Default Tulum in Cozumel, or Kohunlich in Costa Maya?

I've been to Tulum, but not Kohunlich. I KNOW my fiance will like Tulum, but how does Kohunlich compare? I would like to do something else in Cozumel, but don't want my fiance to miss see some good ruins.
Sponsored Links
Old February 24th, 2003, 09:57 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Tulum in Cozumel, or Kohunlich in Costa Maya?

That's my question Too!
Monarch of the Seas April 14 - 19th!
Old February 24th, 2003, 10:25 PM
Admiral

I have been to both Kohunlich and Tulum.
Kohunlich will involve about a 2 hr. bus ride from the port. There was road construction almost all the way, however that could be better now. Kohunlich is larger than Tulum, but not as excavated. Tulum sits on a bluff overlooking the Caribbean. Kohunlich is deep in the interior. There are shops outside the Tulum site, none at Kohunlich.
Both are interesting if you like Mayan history, etc.
Since you have been to Tulum and your friend has seen neither, perhaps the thing to do would be consider Kohunlich. That way both of you are seeing something neither has seen and still leaving you free to do whatever in Cozumel.
If you go to Kohunlich, take insect repellent as the mosquitos were bad.
Old February 26th, 2003, 02:28 PM
L Galloway

We visited Tulum last summer. Not sure how long since your last trip there, but everything was roped off for preservation and our tour guide said this was not the case years ago. We had to stand back to look at the buildings, but were not allowed to peak inside or climb the steps like so many people we'd seen on internet shots had done. The mosquitos (spelling?) were awful. We loved the fact that it is on the cliff and most people wondered down to the water after having a look around. We had a ferry ride (several people got sick on this because it was more rocking than the big ship had seen) to the waiting bus to a stop at a tourist trap of a gift shop and then to the ruins. My husband laughed that the highlight was the Mexican beer they gave us on the bus ride. Several people that had been there years before were upset over the ruins being roped off. We never saw it any other way so we were intrigued by the ruins and the stories our tour guide told. Hope you have fun either way, but I did want to let you know they've been roped off in case you were part of the old group that really got to see them up close and personal.
Old February 26th, 2003, 03:22 PM
sdakan

Default Re: Re: Tulum in Cozumel, or Kohunlich in Costa Maya?

Thanks for letting me know! When I was there 10 years ago, we were able to explore at will. I'm glad you told me they were roped off now, as I'm not sure I would enjoy it as much. I think we will try Kohunlich. From the pictures I have seen of it, it is not roped off.

Thanks!
Old February 27th, 2003, 09:19 AM
First Mate

We were in Cozumel last month on our Explorer cruise and went to the San Gervasio ruins just a few miles from the ship. We thoroughly enjoyed the tour and our guide who has Mayans in his ancestry. Another tour member commented to her friend that she liked San Gervasio better than Tulum, because it had "real" ruins rather than a mostly intact pyramid.
Just thought I'd throw in another possibility. The RCI excursion included an island tour and a couple of hours on the beach, besides the ruins.