Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 21st, 2003, 10:17 AM
sean walker

Default Just back from the Explorer

My wife and I have just got back from the Explorer of the Seas February 15.. We sailed the Eastern itinerary.. If you have any questions we would be happy to try and answer them for you..

Sean and Kim Walker
Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2003, 12:39 PM
Bobbi

Default Re: Just back from the Explorer

I hope you had a great time my sister and I will be on that boat (ship) in 43 days which cabin were you in? Did you ever get bored?
Old February 21st, 2003, 04:24 PM
beege

This is the first time that I have seen Explorer of Seas mentioned! I was beginning to get nervous!
We will be sailing EOS Mar 15 for its Western Caribbean run. I have been following the track every day for weeks on qwikfyk.com (great site). We are on Deck 7..
Can you tell me more about the ship? How was food?
Any favorite entertainment or things that are a "must see"?

Thanks so much.
Old February 21st, 2003, 07:52 PM
First Mate

We were on the EOS Jan25-Feb01 eastern itinerary. There were 9 of us --a family of 5 and a family of 4. The ship is magnificent. It is impossible to be bored. In fact, 2 days (1 at sea) were overcast and very windy, but we still found things to do and enjoy our vacation. The rock climbing wall is a must do while you are on board. We had a family stateroom right at the front of the ship which was huge! The shows were spectacular. The only things we missed were the parades and the midnight buffet. With 5 kids in total we were exhausted by the day's end and retired early every night. We loved every minute of our vacation and can't wait to plan our next cruise. Have a great trip!!!
Old February 22nd, 2003, 04:42 AM
Maria65

Default Re: Re: Just back from the Explorer

Could you describe the family stateroom in detail? We're a family of 6, currently booked in two adjoining cabins. I hesitated on the family stateroom because the only picture I could find looked small.
Old February 22nd, 2003, 07:23 AM
Rep

What is - qwikfyk.com ? I tied to go to it and I get "can't find website". We are on the Explorer March 1st cruise to the Western Carib. By the way are you the begee from Springfield Il?
Old February 22nd, 2003, 09:06 AM
Sean Walker

Hello, our cabin was 8390 which was a rear aft balcony on the corner.. the room is not all that big but the balcony is large in comparison to others. you even get a lounge chair or whatever you call the chair you can lay out on... I burn to easily so i do not even know what it is called.. It came in handy since if you want a chair by the pool you had better wait till late afternoon or be in port or get there before 9am which is when we usually got up... we have pictures which we have not got developed yet and if I get them back this week if you send me an email address I will scan them and try to send you some... Also if you could hint to me is it just you sister and you and what you like to do I will tell you if you will get bored or not.. we had some bad things service wise and some good... The bad part would be dining.... And there are horror stories with that since we switched tables 3 times and on our third the people sitting with us had already switched 2 or 3 times... mainly because one girl had actually went on the cruise by herself and when she was assigned a table for twelve she was the only one of twelve at the table... she was not to happy... we although I like the canadians were put at a table for ten and we were the only one that could speak english and what made it worse our waiter was from france and spoke french with them.... So it depends but there are times maily from 3am-6pm you will be bored... But this is to be expected on all cruise ships... Plus I found out a new policy dealing with shore excursions when I witnessed and camcored two women returning from one in nassau and when I inquired for the boat to stop the response was we leave people all the time "we were 4ft from the pier" and she screamed in horror for 12 minutes on the tape... I would have thrown her a rope but I had none... But I am going to post a review and a video of the people screaming on the internet with the quoted policy of RCCL about even if you are on one of the shore excursions bought from RCCL and if it is late if the number is low I belive she said 40 or below. They will leave you in the port... My wife was in shock since this was her 8th cruise and my fourth and we always thought in reference to Disney, Carnival and NCL and even it RCCL that the purpose in paying the extra price through the ship was so you would not get left if it was late... So anyway enough about that if you are on the eastern side of the islands and can go to the dolphin encounter "if you like dolphins" The only bad thing is if you are in nassau it will leave you no time to shop... well maybe 15 minutes but dont be late, like I said refer to the video after I post it... So it depends on you age and what you like and my wife never could get on a dolphin encounter on any other cruise before and she had a blast... so just send another reply and tell me what you like to do and again send me an email address and my wife just informed me that we have the compass for everyday and "the things to do" and I will send them to you.... So just let me know but overall the time on the ship was fun....
Sean Walker
Old February 22nd, 2003, 09:25 AM
Sean Walker

The food was great... You must go to Johnny Rockets at least once...
The ship was beautiful inside and out.. If you stay on the aft of the ship you must hike to get to the elevators though.... You will be in awe when you first see this ship...
In regards to children on the ship I hardly ever saw them and when you did they were extremely polite.. Asking if they need to hold the elevator for and etc... Extremely nice.. Our sailing was a little shy of being full but I was amazed that the ship never felt crowded with the exception of sea days aroung 12n to 2 or 3 around the pool deck but that is to be expected... Never any lines for food or to get show tickets(I went on this trip expecting lines everywhere with the amount of people but it was nothing like that).. When you get to a port just wait 15 to 20 minutes then you get to walk right off no wait.. The Ice Show is a definate must--the do the show four times and you do not miss anything else going on when you are at the show but I highly recommend it.. We did go at the first opportunity to pick up the ice show tickets and I thought that the place would be packed but there were plenty of empty seats... My husband and I played miniature golf several times and never had to wait---now this is a challenge--playing golf when the wind is high and the boat is moving-- I did not do the rock climbing wall but it didn't seem to have a wait.... One of the guys at our table did it like 4 times in a row.. There was a comedian on our ship that was absolutley hilarious... With the exception of the Welcome Aboard Show the only thing I remember him doing was at 12 midnight... Another show I would recommend is the Dancing through the Decades... Thet did a really good job with this.... For adults only I would recommended going or participating in the Adult Quest game(do not take children in there with you, you will see men stripping to their underwear--women taking off their bras) but it is so funny trying to see all these people running around trying to find the things they are required to get!!
However I do have to admit that having cruised with them several times prior I was a little diappointed that they did not have the little "extras" that you are accustomed to with RCI... I did talk with Jacqui at the Guest Relations Desk and she also admitted with the larger ships they have lost that a little and recommended going with the smaller ships to get it back... She was absolutely wonderful and did extras for us to make the trip better... All in all we had a great time and have already book 3 more cruises on RCI ..
Kim
Old February 22nd, 2003, 09:33 AM
Bobbi

Default Re: Re: Re: Just back from the Explorer

http://qwikfyx.com/Cruises/Explorer1/index.htm
here is the link to that site............Bobbi
Old February 22nd, 2003, 10:47 AM
beege

Default Re: Re: Re: Just back from the Explorer

What browser are you using? We sometimes have trouble with Netscape. We can get music too when we use Internet explorer not Netscape.
Ooops...just noticed my typo.....sorry...try qwikfyx.com...its interesting! Let me know how you like it.
PS...sorry not beege from IL...I am from NH....