CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Celebrity Millenium vs. RCI Radiance of the Seas (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/231525-celebrity-millenium-vs-rci-radiance-seas.html)

Aaron March 5th, 2003 11:48 AM

Celebrity Millenium vs. RCI Radiance of the Seas

My wife and I are looking forward to our first cruise in April '03. We can't decide between two cruise ships and their itineraries. We need some help in deciding between the two. Karen is 23, I'm 30. We're still pretty active but we're looking for a romantic week together. Here are the details (the both will cost about the same):
**Celebrity Millenium**
Ft. Lauderdale
At Sea
San Juan
Catalina Island, Dominican Republic
At Sea
Nassau, Bahamas
Ft. Lauderdale

**Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas**
San Juan
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
St. John's, Antigua
Philipsburg, St. Maarten
Castries, St. Lucia
Bridgetown, Barbados
At Sea
San Juan

robbie March 5th, 2003 09:39 PM

Re: Celebrity Millenium vs. RCI Radiance of the Seas

Even though I am partial to the "Radiance" without cruising "Celebrity," I would think the air fare via FLL has to better than San Juan. And you will find that like most of us, you will have a nice excuse to go back (more than once) to visit the islands you haven't seen.

MaryLou March 6th, 2003 05:40 AM

Re: Re: Celebrity Millenium vs. RCI Radiance of the Seas

I believe either one would be a wonderful experience for you. I've sailed on Millenium and she is my favorite ship, but I hear great things about Radiance also. Robbie's point is a good one.....Let us know what you decide.

susancruzs March 6th, 2003 08:29 AM

I'm partial to RCI, but in this case, because you want time together and Celebrity is a tad lower key than RCI, I think I'd go Celebrity.

For a first cruise, I'd want to leave from a closer port, less hectic getting there! Also the seas days are relaxing, I wouldn't want to do a port intensive cruise for my first cruise!

On the other side of the coin though, you could relax on a beach at each island to get away from the crowds!!!

It is a tough call, Millenium doesn't have ports but has those nice sea days. San Juan is nice, old San Juan is close to the dock and fun to walk through, plus the fort!

Now I've probably added confusion!!!

Susie

BillG March 6th, 2003 08:49 AM

Re: Re: Celebrity Millenium vs. RCI Radiance of the Seas

As much as the extra sea day is appealing to a veteran cruiser like me, I think the Radiance's itinerary is more attractive. Everything has tradeoffs however, and the price of flying to Puerto Rico as opposed to Florida should be factored in. Service seems to be described as somewhat more reserved and formal on Celebrity, more friendly and outgoing on RCI but so much of that really depends on the servers you encounter and what you are looking for on your cruise. Both ships have received high praise ( I can only speak for the Radiance, and it is a beautiful ship IMHO) so you probably can't go wrong whichever you choose. You should be able to have a romantic time on either ship, but Radiance may also offer a wider range of entertainment and activities geared to folks your age for those times you want to join with your fellow cruisers. While you say that this will be your first cruise, you don't indicate what other travel experience you have. If you have never been to the Caribbean before, either itinerary should provide you with a good sampling of what the region has to offer. I guess you should just choose one and go with it. I don't think you will be seriously disappointed whichever ship you choose. Go for it and let us know your conclusions when you return. Bon Voyage

Dave Shilton March 6th, 2003 11:09 AM

Have been on the Radiance and not the Millenium. Radiance is a great ship.

I think the Radiance intinerary is better than Millenium. St. Maarten is one of my favorite Carb. islands. Rent a jeep there and go up some of the hills.

My vote would be for the Radiance.