Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 13th, 2003, 09:13 AM
Doreen Schonfeld

Default Monarch of the Seas

Hello to all. This is my first cruise and I'm going it solo. Anyone out there sailing with me?

Doreen
Sponsored Links
Old March 15th, 2003, 05:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Monarch of the Seas

Doreen:

You didn't post your sail date. I will be on Monarch twice this year and am looking forward to seeing its refurbished condition.

Leslie

6/9/03 - Monarch
8/4/03 - Monarch
11/5/03 - Mercury
Old March 16th, 2003, 12:56 PM
Angelia

I am leaving on the Monarch Monday. Getting ready to leave North Carolina in about two hours. Guess I will see ya?
Old March 17th, 2003, 09:13 AM
Doreen Schonfeld

Default Re: Re: Monarch of the Seas

Great to hear it has been refurbished. Unfortunately I am not on your sail dates. I'm sailing May 3rd. Quite a few trips on her though for you Les.
Old March 27th, 2003, 09:21 AM
L Galloway

Hi Doreen,
My husband and I took our honeymoon on Monarch last year to Cozumel and Grand Cayman it's a nice ship considering it's one of the older one's. I posted our pictures on the photo galleries on this website and also they are on our web page at http://scgalloways.tripod.com if you wanna' check them out. I also have a review of the ship on www.cruisereviews.com that has all kinds of information because I wrote it while everything was still fresh on my mind!

Have A Wonderful Time
L. Galloway
Old March 27th, 2003, 11:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

Good morning all -

My husband and I just booked our first (ever) cruise on Monarch of the Seas. But we're taking it out of Los Angeles to Baja Sept 22.

Any comments on the ship would be greatly appreciated since we have no idea what to expect. We have a Cat D cabin and would like to know just how small it really is.

thanks

Suzi
Old March 27th, 2003, 01:08 PM
Angelia

Hi all. We just got back. Really had a great time but wanted to post a few observations. We traveled to Cozumel, Costa Maya and Key West. Costa Maya was my favorite port because it is not as commercialized as the others.

I am not sure if the staff at Royal Carribean is the same but beware of some of them. We were on the ship and at first everything went wonderful. The ship is very nice so let me say at first that I am not slamming that. The crew seemed to get worse after the war started. General rudeness and flippant attitudes were what my husband and I dealt with. I dont know if it was because of the war that emotions were shown, but we were so ready to get off the boat by Friday! We ended up having chilled champagne and chocolate covered strawberries sent to our room because we finally had to say something. We were told by Mr. Rodriquez that we were not the first to complain about the staff and to try to salvage our trip the champagne helped. An example is: My husband and I went to the Schooner Bar to listen to the piano player and have a drink. After sitting at a table next to the bar for twenty minutes with no service I lit a cigarette. No sooner had I turned my head, a waiter came over, removed the ashtray from my table and yelled "NO SMOKING" and walked away. Didnt ask me if I wanted a drink, wanted to move to a table that was smoking, or anything. This was one of at least 15 separate occasions when the staff really dissapointed us. Basically the way they would handle situations was rude.

I will not travel on Royal Carribean again, but want to stress that the ship was wonderful. Rooms are smaller than on Carnival, but the layout was very easy to navigate. I also want to say that Loan, Eva, and Yohanna (waiter, waitress, and barmaid) made up for the rudeness with their wonderful attitudes and demeanor. Good Luck and hope your trips are better.

I have pics if anyone wants to see them just let me know.
Old March 27th, 2003, 01:09 PM
Angelia

Suzy...
SMALL

I still have bruises on my shins from hitting the bed!

But you are never in your room so it didnt bother me.
Old March 27th, 2003, 02:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

THAT small, huh??? Should be interesting......

thanks

Suzi
Old March 27th, 2003, 02:30 PM
Mary Martin

Default Re: Re: Re: Monarch of the Seas

Please don't give up on Royal Caribbean. We went on the Explorer the week the war broke out and had absolutely great service. We were not treated any differently the whole trip. I don't know why you were treated so rudely, but that is very unusual for RCI. We have sailed 6 times with RCI two of them on the Monarch and we have always had excellent service. Please try one of the Voyage class ships, before giving up on RCI.
Mary Martin
mmarti18@hotmail.com
Old March 27th, 2003, 03:10 PM
Doreen Schonfeld

Default Re: Re: Re: Monarch of the Seas

Oh no, rude staff and a miniscule room. I hope the ship is clean at least. Do the beds truly make a queen when put together or realistically a double?
Old March 27th, 2003, 04:43 PM
Angelia

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Monarch of the Seas

Here is a pic of the room. I had no problem staying in it, although a big room with a window is what I am going to strive for next time. Also, when we got on the boat they charged us an additional 200.00 because there were only two people in the room and it could sleep four. We were a little ticked about that. I would have brought more!!!

Old March 27th, 2003, 06:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

What room category is this? They charged you extra when you arrived? How could they do that? I'd be more than ticked at that point!
Old March 27th, 2003, 08:07 PM
Angelia

Our room was on the second deck.or floor..or B deck. We had a standard room. We thought that we had purchased a room with a porthole and two beds that combined to make one big one. When we got on board and did a check of our credit card charges, we then asked the purser why and he explained. Our travel agent was through my hubbys company so we didnt really have alot of input with verifying anything.

I still had a great time. Dont think for a minute I didnt enjoy it. I am going to definitely take another after the summer.

Although I am going for the boob job...the topless sunning decks remind me of my age! .

Bring lots of clothes. You will want to change alot. You get sweaty or just want to wear shorts, or want to dress up. Your mood changes. I was glad I brought everything but the kitchen sink.

The pic above was taken in the lobby area where the dining room is. You will LOVE the food.

Old March 28th, 2003, 09:30 AM
Doreen Schonfeld

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Monarch of the Seas

Am I missing something but there appears to be no walking room. My husband has a back problem and frequently spends the night on the floor - is there space to lie down? Getting nervous.

Doreen
Old March 28th, 2003, 09:55 AM
Angelia

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Monarch of the Seas

Get a bigger room. If that is an issue. Trust me. I was disappointed in the size. We were constantly walking over each other or stepping into the bathroom so the other could have room to dry hair. The bigger rooms would have been fine.

We all have to learn. If his back is an issue then yes, get another room if you can. Better to have it then to get there like us and not be able to upgrade because they are sold out. We saw one of the rooms that was bigger and it looked like a small version of a hotel room. Had room to lay someone on the floor.
Old March 28th, 2003, 10:33 AM
Cruise Maniac

Wow -

Great pictures. The room we got is on the 9th (Commodore?) deck and it's the "larger" oceanview. I'm thinking that "larger" is relative! Our TA warned us it's no way as large as a motel room. I had done quite a bit of internet research before going to the TA. I'm assuming (and I know what "assume" stands for) that there won't be any extra charge at the pier. I can't believe they would do that to you.

I'm sure we'll have a great time. And I have no problem with overpacking....I always seem to do it.

Any hints to share?

Suzi
Old March 28th, 2003, 02:54 PM
Doreen Schonfeld

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Monarch of the Seas

Please tell me you are kidding - that room could sleep 4????? Four dolls maybe.
My TA said I could upgrade for $100 each eprson. It seems the square footage has gone down now from when I booked. I suppose the view is obstructed as well now.