Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 18th, 2003, 12:20 PM
Jacquelyn

Default Interior vs. Balcony AOS

Is it worth the extra money for a balcony cabin for this itinerary. We have cruised several times both with windows and without and most of the time I did not find it worth the extra money. I have never been to these islands. Someone give me some guidance.
Sponsored Links
Old March 18th, 2003, 12:53 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Interior vs. Balcony AOS

Good question and I would vote NO even though I love aft balconies. Take the cheapest I/S cabin and save the $ (no, REALLY put it in savings) for a balcony on a worthwhile itinerary (South Pacific jumps to mind). Enjoy, Robbie
Old March 18th, 2003, 02:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I'm a balcony lover, no matter what the itinary is. You just have to try one to see how you like it. We definitely spend some time there, especially first thing in the AM and late at nite before sleep....its wonderful!

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 19th, 2003, 06:31 PM
RichardR

Which Islands are you talking about? I think AOS has a rotating itinerary. We just got back from AOS to Aruba, Curosau, St. Martin & St. Thomas. We did the DePalm Island snorkleing at Aruba. That is a worth while shore excursion.
We have been on 10 cruises and always get inside stateroom to save money. Why would I want to do anything besides sleep in stateroom? There are plenty of secluded area's on the deck and in public area's that are much more pleasant and interesting.
Have a good trip.
Old March 19th, 2003, 07:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Interior vs. Balcony AOS

Hi Richard,
Until you cruise with a balcony you'll not know the difference. Imagine waking up in a beautiful cruise port and having room service bring up your first cup of coffee that you can sit on your balcony before you shower/dress and just take in the scenery. There is no better way to cruise. You will find yourself in your cabin more often, especially in Alaska, you just don't want to miss any details, its totally amazing. There were quite a few things I would of missed by not having a balcony and we spend enough on the cruise itself, why not make the most of it, just MHO. Same late at nite before you turn in, you can just hang out there in your PJ's if you want, you can't do those things on any parts of the ships decks secluded or not....

Hope you do try one some day soon and you'll know what we're all talking about.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 19th, 2003, 08:27 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Interior vs. Balcony AOS

I don't think the itinerary has much to do with it. To a large extent, it has to do with your own life style, budget and comfort levels. There is no question that a veranda cabin, bright and open to the elements... with abundant fresh air... and the other amenities that are a part of it... is a choice venue in which to enjoy a cruise.

Most new ship builds follow a pretty similar ratio... about 80% of most new ships are outside (OceanView) cabins and about 85% of those have verandas. I would say that this is very much a product of market research and a direct result of guests' preference for veranda cabins.

Does it mean that one cannot enjoy an Inside stateroom? Not for a minute. The choice is, as I said above, very much a function of life style and what a person is comfortable with.

As a side bar, the President of one of the major cruise lines suggests that a potential Inside Cabin first time guest ponder the question "...have you ever slept in a bedroom without a window?". Most people will answer "no" to that question.

Old March 20th, 2003, 12:15 PM
Browezilla

ErnieMCC

You rock! I love your posts; usually directly to the point. You hit it directly on the head when it comes to many decisions that are personal choice. The best you can do is learn how the choices are different then decide what fits your lifestyle best factoring in the cost.

For the original poster, I agree that a balcony is better than an ocean view is better than an inside. I prefer to book the inside and save the money and use it toward future trips. I tend to spend very little time in the room (shower, dress, sleep). I like the open public spaces much more than I do private areas. For me, I wouldn't get enough enjoyment out of a veranda to justify the expense of it
Old March 20th, 2003, 02:44 PM
Yeoman

My husband and I have been on two cruises, 7day Western w/balcony and 3day Bahama w/window only. We really enjoyed the balcony. But it is a bit pricey. We have a 10day Western booked in November with a window only. (No balconys on this boat) Having a balcony is great because just like mentioned before, you can sit out there in your PJ's and enjoy room service late at nite and in the morning pulling into port. We will definately get a balcony on our next cruise to Alaska. We have heard that it is really worth the money there. It's all how you want to spend your money. As the saying goes, a bad day on a cruise is better than a good day at work. Enjoy!!!!
Old March 22nd, 2003, 10:14 AM
Emily_newbiecruiser

Cathy that's a great quote -- "A bad day on a cruise is better than a good day at work."

Attitude makes a huge difference in all aspects of life -- and certainly a cruise is no exception.
Old March 22nd, 2003, 01:34 PM
Gary Karschnick

IMHO, balconies are a must for Alaska, Panama Canal and Bermuda. (Probably New England also,) Otherwise, inside is great for those who would rather save a little on the cabin. Same food, shows etc.