Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 18th, 2003, 10:21 PM
Philip

Default On board Brilliance right now (3/17-28/2003)

Hi all,
We're on Brilliance of the Seas as I type this. What an incredible job RCI has done with this ship. She's just gorgeous. Beautiful in every way, really.

So far things have gone wonderfully. Nothing that has caused any huge problems. There was a problem with the dinner table location, but Bobby Brown, our cruise director, helped out with that. Turns out, though, that our tablemates showed up after all, so we'll stick it out.

Everything else has been great so far. Key West today was good. Just a lot of walking around. Tomorrow is the first day at sea -- what we live for.

More tomorrow, hopefully.

Philip
Sponsored Links
Old March 19th, 2003, 07:13 AM
Admiral

Default Re: On board Brilliance right now (3/17-28/2003)

Thank you for giving us an update from the ship.Have fun and make lots of pictures!

Old March 19th, 2003, 08:56 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Philip.. thanks so much for reporting in. Enjoy the Brilliance! And be sure to say hi to MaryLou and the rest of the CM gang for us.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 19th, 2003, 09:58 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Philip,
Thanks so much for "checking-in" on the boards. I just knew you would all love the ship, have yet to see a more beautiful ship than Radiance, thinking Brilliance is very close??? Hope the weather is treating you all well too!!

Be sure to say "HI" to Marylou, I hopw she's loving the ship, cabin, food, entertainment???

Enjoy Key West!

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 19th, 2003, 02:04 PM
Yeoman

If you happen to talk to the "Loyalty Ambassador" can you get the "4-1-1" on whether or not the "Brilliance" is changing her summer itinerary? I already cancelled August since she was going to both France and Turkey (replaced with "Radiance" toHawaii and it feels more patriotic right now, believe me). Seems like we find out things on the boards faster than any cruise line website.
Old March 23rd, 2003, 10:12 AM
Philip

Hi again,
CyberCabin has been a big disappointment, so I haven't been able to post much. BUT suffice it to say we're still having a GREAT time.

Cruise Director Bobby Brown and his staff are incredible. Everything is just perfect.

Ports have been good. Almost thought we weren't going to go into Grand Cayman. Water was rough, and the captain came on a couple of times to say tendering was going to be very rough and slow, but honestly I didn't think it was that bad at all. The ride itself was very smooth, thanks to a very competent tender pilot.

Jamaica was ok. We didn't dock at Island Village, but it was only a short 5-10 minute walk away. Bought our coffee and then came back on board. Was only offered drugs twice and a prostitute once.

Today is a day at sea. Was going to go up and get some sun, but then I realized I'm still a little toasty.

Played trivia and Pictionary earlier today. Our team won both times and got a couple of fun prizes.

Our Cruisemates group met this morning and also played trivia. It's been great knowing people onboard and seeing them around the ship. That's a nice feeling.

Well, off to poolside!

Philip
Old March 23rd, 2003, 02:43 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: On board Brilliance right now (3/17-28/2003)

Hi Philip,
Sorry to hear you are having trouble with the computer in your cabin

Its always good to hear what you and the gang are up to, hope you have smooth sailing the rest of the way, enjoy those "sea" days.

Also a big "HI" to ML and her husband Gary.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 26th, 2003, 03:14 PM
Philip

Hi again,
RCI was responsive and gave us a refund for the 3 days that CyberCabin just wouldn't work. Now if they'll just get someone to write up the Mac instructions for them. Maybe I should volunteer....

This has been one great cruise. Aruba and Curaçao were great, as usual. Took an excursion to a beach in Aruba and just walked around in Curaçao and had a few Amstel Brights. 2 years ago they were called Amstel Light, but they must have changed the name to distinguish the version distilled there in Curaçao. It's different. Much lighter and crisper.

There was a late buffet by the pool on the sailaway from Aruba, but I pooped out early and didn't make it.

If you go on this ship you have to go up to the Starquest Disco, which is part of the Viking Crown Lounge. The bar revolves around the center, where the bartenders are. SO cool. Wayne and Andrae are the bartenders up there.

Today's day at sea has been, of course, just great. The sea is so calm today. Played in the volleyball tournament and won. Got a gold medal and a RCI bag. I think I now have the entire Royal Caribbean line of bags, caps, and logo gear!

Only one more day. This has been the best cruise, by far. Going to be sad when it's over.

Hopefully one more post before we're gone.

Philip
Old March 26th, 2003, 06:53 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: On board Brilliance right now (3/17-28/2003)

Hi Philip,
Sorry to hear your great cruise is almost over, enjoy this last "sea" day and get home safely.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 30th, 2003, 12:53 PM
Philip

Well, sadly we're back home now. What an amazing cruise! It's by far the best yet. Special thanks to Mary Lou for organizing all the activities for Cruisemates. She and Gary are the best!

We ended up changing our travel plans and drove down to Key West for the day/night. Enjoyed it so much the first time during the cruise. Drove back up to Ft. Lauderdale yesterday and then got into Austin last night. A little tired, but so relaxed after the cruise.

Will try and post a review very soon. Started working on it on the plane, but my iBook battery ran out.

Philip
--------
Norwegian Sea 4/00
Vision of the Seas 3/01
Explorer of the Seas 9/01
Rhapsody of the Seas 12/01
Rhapsody of the Seas 5/02
Celebration 9/02
Brilliance of the Seas 3/03
Old March 31st, 2003, 12:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Joyce

My husband and I were also on the same cruise (Mar 17-28). It was outstanding and the ship so beautiful. Can't think of a single thing I would change. We had a "dolphin encounter" in Curacao which was so cool, as I love dolphins....they were so sweet and fun. Everyone on board (staff) were very friendly and helpful and the Captain was so funny. I miss Rudi (cabin attendant) and Kamal, (table waiter). The time went way too fast!
Old March 31st, 2003, 01:00 PM
Beginner

Philip-

Hi. I really enjoyed reading your on-board notes. I'm just got back on Friday from 11 nights on the Splendour of the Seas. Had a great time, but the food and much of the service was lacking. I called it the "No Boat" because it seemed like they were alaways telling me what couldn't be done rather than what could be done. Had a blast nonetheless.

I'm going on the Brilliance April 28th and and hoping that things will be better since it's a newer ship. I'm encouraged by what you've said so far. I noticed that you and I are neighbors. I live in San Anantonio. Anyway, I am 30 and the average passenger age on my last cruise was 72. Being that I'm going on a 15-night TransAtlantic then a 12 night Mediterranean, I'll be on board the Brilliance for 28 nights. Oh, and I'm travelling alone. Hmmmm...... Hope I'm not crazy! I make friends easily. Also, I'm trying to decide whether or not to stay on for the following 12 night Med/Greek Isles cruise. What do you think?

How was your cabin. I'm in a catagory D. Should be pretty nice. Anyway, I'll be waiting for you review. Would love to hear from you about anything that you think might be of interest to me.

Thanks again-
Kevin
Old March 31st, 2003, 01:33 PM
susancruzs

It was an absolutely wonderful cruise, lots of fun, great people, great ship, food, what more can you ask for??? :-)

Kevin, we were in a Category D cabin and they are very nice! Minor annoyance is the closet/bathroom door arrangement but not that bad! There is plenty of storage, more shelves and cubby holes than we ever needed!

We asked the room steward to empty our frig so we could store some wine and Pepsi and that was no problem. We also asked for robes and received those immediately.

The lights by the bed are the neatest I've ever seen, much better than other ships.

The shower pressure was good, using the shower easy, actual size not that great but even with the curtain we did not flood the floor so that is a plus!

All I can think of right now, any questions, ask away!!!

Susie
Old April 2nd, 2003, 12:31 PM
Philip

Hi Kipper,
I responded directly to you via email, but maybe I got the wrong address. You can email me with any questions.

Philip