Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 1st, 2003, 11:57 AM
Tate

Default SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS

LEAVING SUNDAY, 04-06-03. SO EXCITED.
CAN'T REMEMBER WHO IT WAS, BUT THERE WAS SOMEONE THAT WENT LAST WEEK AND WAS GOING TO POST. CAN'T FIND IT THOUGH. DOES ANYONE OUT THERE KNOW WHO IT WAS OR HAVE THEY SEEN POST ANYWHERE?
Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2003, 02:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS

Dont know the answer to your question but I do know that I will be on board with you. Counting the minutes here in Jersey. (Where it is snowing like crazy right now.)
Old April 1st, 2003, 03:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to DanaB

I don't know who it is you are looking for. I have Sovereign pictures on the Photo Gallery. I'm going on SoS again on the 27th.

Have a great time, let us know how it went!

Dana

Sovereign of the Seas - 12/22/02
Sovereign of the Seas - 04/27/03
Sovereign of the Seas - 09/04/03 *and* 09/07/03
Old April 2nd, 2003, 06:48 AM
Gary Karschnick

Ok, It was me! We embarked at 12:00 noon. There was quite a line, but we were able to bypass it as we were at the "Diamond" level. (10 or more cruises with RCCI). If you have all your forms done and copies of the on-line registration, it goes quite fast.

Lunch on board at the Windjammer was excellent, especially the fish. Cabins are smaller than I remembered, but entirely adequate. We carried all our luggage on ourselves. If you have more than a small roll aboard, you definately have too much stuff. (IMHO)

Dinner was good. I recommend the shrimp scampi. The entertainment was a commedian named Steve Bruner. He was very funny and received a standing ovation.
A complaint that we had throughout the cruise was that there was no place to go dancing until after midnight, or on a couple of nights, you could either go dancing or see the show as they were both scheduled at the same time.

The weather was bad as we anchored off coco cay and the Captain finally made the decision that it was just going to be too dangerous to tender ashore, so we slowly sailed for Nassau arriving there around 2:00 P.M. The cruiose staff put out a revised compass (activities schedule), but didn't announce it, so we were unaware that things had been switched around. We missed Bingo and the Art Auction (no big deal). It was nice that the PA system was rarely used, but that would have been one case where it would have been helpful to know.

For dinner, we had the grouper. Delicious! The show consisted of a comedy juggler and a female impressionist. The juggler was very good and the impressionist wasn't. This was her last show, so there will be somebody new next week.

All the Nassau activities ran the next day. We took the water taxi to Atlantis and the tour. It was good, but a long and hot walk. If you have difficulty walking long distances, I would pass on this one.

Dinner featured filet mignon. In my opinion, they were of not very high quality. I sent the first one back because it was "stringy and full of gristle". The replacement wasn't much better. I love a good steak and this definately wasn't it. Again, the fish alternative, sweet and sour Mahi-Mahi looked better.

Entertainment was Johnny Thunder, a former "Drifter". Not to our taste. Many people walked out on the show.

Last dinner, I had the prime rib. Not so hot. Both the turkey and the fish seemed better. The escargot for appetizer was very good. The entertainment was a new production show with a brand new cast (Their first show). They were great! Again a standing ovation.

Debarkation was a disaster. They called 2 or 4 colors together for the first off and about 500 people showed up at the gangway. They would let about 10 people off, then stop the line for 10 ninutes. Then another 10 people and so on and so on. It was a crowded mess and no explanations were given. From the time our color was called, it took us about an hour in the line to finally get off the ship. Once off, we went thru customs rapidly.

Please post any questions. It was a good cruise overall. Oh yes, here's a surprise. All fitness class that have an instructor cost $10 each.
Old April 2nd, 2003, 11:06 AM
Gary Karschnick

I just thought of a couple of other things that may be of interest.

When we booked this cruise in January, we requested a table for 4. At boarding, i found that we had a table for 6. When I questioned the Maitre 'D, he said "Your travel agent didn't request a table for 4." Now that's a lie. I was looking over her shoulder as she typed the reservation into the computer. I would rather have them tell me the truth, that they have only 10 or so tables for 4 and that they were already assigned to people who had booked earlier than us.

Everyone seems to be interrested in the dress on formal night. About 10 of us wore tuxedos. (I have one, so I wear it.) Another 5 or 6 men wore suits. Everyone else except for 2 (that I could see) wore sport coats and ties. The 2 who chose not to conform wore open-collared shirts and slacks. One even wore flip-flops instead of shoes. They were not bothered, but the rest of the people at thier tables were. It was obvious that the other people felt offended that the ambiance of the formal night was ruined for them by these individuals. (Just my observation and opinion.)

The "Spring Breakers" were out in full force. The only obvious problem came during the lifeboat drill when one young idiot made a fool out of himself with his loud and inappropriate comments. Generally, they took over tha hot tubs and the disco. No matter what the cruise line says about not serving alcohol to minors, these people were very drunk most of the time. When it comes to the morality of the issue or the dollars to be made, money wins every time. The young girls seemed to be there to meet "Mr. Wonderful", and the "Mr. Wonderful's" were there to have sex with as many girls that they could get drunk. Parents, if you think your kids are different, get your heads out of the sand.

Our cabin stewardess left our new towels in the form of animal sculptures every evening. It was a nice treat. They did have a class on how to do it. (On the last day) I'm now sorry that I missed it.
Old April 2nd, 2003, 11:46 AM
Tate

Gary,
I thank you very much for the review. I hate that you had some bad experiences, but hope that ours will be all good experiences.
We went on Carnival Sensation in 1999 and a hurricane messed up our cruise (didn't get to go to the Grand Caymen). Am looking soooo forward to the day at Coco Cay, so hope the weather is good.
Oh well, no matter what it will be wonderful to be away from the office, and phones. Just wish I could afford to go on a 365 day cruise.
Once again, thanks.
Old April 2nd, 2003, 12:00 PM
Passenger

We are going on the same ship. It is a birthday present for my mother. We are bringing along our 2 kids. Can't wait. It's 79 degrees here but I need a vacation.
Old April 2nd, 2003, 02:13 PM
Gary Karschnick

All in all, it was a good cruise, especially for a short cruise and it is still a good one for the first-timer. I tried to be all-inclusive with my review, but it was a very good cruise. As I said, the food was good, the entertainment very good, and the itinerary good for a short cruise. You can't fight the weather. We took advantage of the cruise to catch up on some needed naps and to read some good books. I think a cruise is about as relaxing as it gets. We really haven't had a bad cruise in 27 years except on the Radisson Mariner. (but that's another story.)
Old April 2nd, 2003, 04:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to DanaB

Interesting review, thanks for sharing.

If interested, read my review of the Christmas 2002 cruise on Sovereign:

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...overeign13.cfm

Dana

Sovereign of the Seas - 12/22/02
Sovereign of the Seas - 04/27/03
Sovereign of the Seas - 09/04/03 *and* 09/07/03
Old April 15th, 2003, 01:23 PM
Beginner

general information on the sos and bahamas itinerary
Old April 17th, 2003, 12:00 PM
Tate

Default Re: Re: SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS

NJDAVE,
DID YOU ENJOY THE CRUISE?
I THOUGHT IT WAS A VERY RELAXING CRUISE.
EMBARKATION WAS A BREEZE, RCCL SEEMS TO HAVE THEIR ACT TOGETHER ON THAT. OUR LUGGAGE WAS IN OUR CABIN WHEN WE GOT THERE AND WE WENT STRAIGHT TO CABIN WHEN WE BOARDED
DIDN'T CARE FOR THE FOOD THAT MUCH. I BELIEVE CARNIVAL HAS BETTER FOOD SELECTIONS. WINDJAMMER WAS OKAY, BUT I SEEM TO REMEMBER CARNIVAL HAVING THEIR CAFE OPEN MORE AND WE COULD ALWAYS GET TEA, ICE CREAM, OR PIZZA-NOT SO WITH SOVEREIGN. ALSO THE MIDNIGHT BUFFET WAS NOTHING COMPARED TO CARNIVAL.
ENTERTAINMENT WAS OKAY. I REALLY LIKED THE COMEDIANS (ESPECIALLY RICK STARR) I BELIEVE THE ENTERTAINMENT ON CARNIVAL IS MORE BROADWAY TYPE SHOWS WHICH I ENJOY VERY MUCH.
COCO CAY WAS GREAT!!! COULD HAVE STAYED THERE ALL WEEK. THEY OUGHT TO HAVE A CRUISE WHERE YOU JUST STAY AT THE ISLAND A FEW DAYS. BUT HAVE IT LIKE DISNEY, WHERE THEY COULD DOCK RIGHT AT THE ISLAND.
CABIN WAS GREAT/CAT C ON DECK 10.
THERE ARE THINGS I LIKE BETTER ABOUT RCCL AND THEN THERE ARE THINGS I LIKE BETTER ABOUT CARNIVAL.
DEBARKATION COULD HAVE BEEN A LITTLE BETTER ORGANIZED. BUT WE STILL GOT OFF.
ALL IN ALL HAD A GREAT VACATION. CAN HARDLY WAIT UNTIL I CAN GO ON ANOTHER ONE.
Old April 20th, 2003, 06:27 PM
RD

Default Re: Re: Re: SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS

Can anyone tell me about Deck 9 very forward cabins? Leaving 2 weeks from today!