Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 28th, 2003, 09:06 PM
Beginner

Default What percentage of you all get seasick?

I am really worried. We are probably going to book a cruise for Christmas on the Splendour Of The Seas to the Panama Canal for a 12 day cruise. I have never cruised before. I was on a sailboat once when I was 12 on the San Diego Bay and got sick as a dog and threw up all over the side of our friends' boat. I took a whale watching tour 2 years ago in the Monterey Bay and luckily took Dramamine so I didn't get sick, but I could feel it in the bottom of my stomach the whole time. Then as soon as I got off the boat I slept for 3 hours straight from the pills. That is the extent of my boat experience. I have heard that no-one gets ill on a cruise ship cause they are too big. My hubby says don't worry about it, but I am worried! Do a lot of people really get sea-sick on these big boats? Please help! I don't want to spend all this money if I am gonna have a miserable time cause I'm puking my guts! Thanks so much in advance!

Vicky
Sponsored Links
Old April 29th, 2003, 07:52 AM
Mitch70

Default Re: What percentage of you all get seasick?

Vicky3269,

The stabilizer (A retractable fin extending out from either side of the ship below the waterline to reduce roll) on cruise ships these days prevent most people from getting sick or feeling as if they are on a row boat in rough seas. Book a cabin in the middle of the ship, and also take some dramamine so you have it in case you do feel queasy. Don't worry...you won't feel as if you are on the Titanic in rough seas.
Old April 29th, 2003, 09:53 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: What percentage of you all get seasick?

Thank you very much, I guess we'll go ahead with the trip as planned!
Old April 29th, 2003, 10:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to maryann

I would also recommend booking toward the upper decks. I've never been on Splendour before but when you are close to the bottom of the ship near the engines you can sometimes feel the vibration of the engines (and hear them). To me, the vibration is more disturbing than the rocking. But for the most part you can't even tell the ship is moving. If you can afford it, I recommend a balcony cabin so you won't be fighting the crowds on deck when you go through the canal.
Old April 29th, 2003, 02:07 PM
Browezilla

Also, you'll be in the canal most of the time, where there is NO wave action.
Old April 30th, 2003, 10:44 AM
Brad & Renee

Default Re: Re: What percentage of you all get seasick?

Hi Vicky,
We just got off the Explorer last saturday. Before we left I purchased two "Relief Bands".We have two sons, 5&13. They each used it once. It worked instantly. It's battery powered and looks like a watch. You put a little gel on the underside of your wrist, put the band on, and pick the setting. I was certainly impressed. If you want more info on it please ask.

Explorer--4/03
Old April 30th, 2003, 05:11 PM
JenS

Default Re: Re: Re: What percentage of you all get seasick?

Bonine definitely works and did not at all make me tired. But start taking it the day before and take it every day whether you feel like you need it or not (because once you are sick it is too late). And as a previous poster stated, you can buy it most anywhere (drug store, Wal-Mart, etc.). The pills are very small and chewable, so easy for anyone.
Old April 30th, 2003, 05:31 PM
JOM

My wife and I have have been on Radiance of the Seas twice and are going again the day after tomorrow. As you probably know The Radiance has the same deck plan as the Splendour. You should get an outside cabin, midship,with balcony if possible for fresh air. We like deck nine but the higher you go on a ship the more roll you feel, so you may feel better on seven or eight. Also Bonine works great but if you plan to drink alcohol you shouldn't take Bonine.
Old April 30th, 2003, 08:57 PM
Amy G

Default Re: Re: Re: What percentage of you all get seasick?

Where can I get these wrist bands?
Old May 1st, 2003, 08:15 AM
Brad & Renee

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: What percentage of you all get seasick?

http://www.seaproductsonline.com/index62-1.html

You can get one for $73.00 on the above site. I saw them in a magazine on the airplane for $129.95. It works!
Don't get this confused with the wrist bands you buy in the drug store for $6.99, they are not electronic.
I'm not promoting the "Relief Band", I just want to report what worked great for us.

Brad
Old May 1st, 2003, 10:08 AM
Beginner

Default What percentage of you all get seasick?

Thanks everyone for all the great info!
Old May 4th, 2003, 11:29 AM
Marianne W

Don't worry. I used to get sick every cruise until I realized that if the ship is over 70,000 tons, I wouldn't get sick. We had the bands, Dramamine, Bonine, etc. but I have found that I don't need anything anymore on these huge ships. The worse scenario is that you get sick and go to the doctor on board and he'll give you a shot of Phenabarbetol, you'll sleep for a few hours and then it stays in your system for the rest of the trip and you won't get sick again. I've had it several times when we used to cruise on the smaller ships and I'd always get sick the night of the captain's party! Don't worry, you'll be fine and have a ball...no comparison to the small trips you've taken.
Old May 5th, 2003, 12:42 PM
Andrew

I would opine that part of the seasickness problem is the apprehension or anticipation of being seasick. You expect certain things, then they tend to become self-fulfilling. Your earlier experiences were years ago, on boats, not ships. These behemoths have state-of-the-art designs to minimize the effects of the ocean. Having said that, there will be minor amounts of motion detected at times, and you may get queasy occasionally. But by and large, I would say that the vast majority of people don't get seasick in the traditional sense of the word. You'll have sea legs after a few days, and when on land in port you may sense that the ground is moving. (we disembarked 2 days ago, and I still feel the ground move occasionally. It's pretty cool!)

On the ship I think you'll be most likely to experience some queasiness when watching the entertainment in theaters or nightclubs that appear to be stationary. So just be prepared for that, and if you get queasy, you'll know why. Nothing to get nervous about. Get up, walk around, maybe go topside. I doubt you'll get seasick when you're moving about the ship, nor when you're outside by the pools or laying in the lounge chairs. This is just an unscientific opinion, but I'd hazard a guess that if you don't get carsick and you don't get airsick, you probably won't get seasick. A little unsettled at times, but that's about it.

And they do make a Dramamine that supposedly doesn't put you to sleep.

But go with enthusiasm and confidence, and you'll overcome anything that comes your way. And you'll be planning your next cruise before you leave the ship.
Old May 7th, 2003, 01:08 AM
Chowwhitney

I have gotten seasick going to Catalina, but on ships over 70,000 tons I have been mostly fine. I usually take a dramamine for departure just in case, but have never needed another after that. The bigger ships are so stable I can hardly tell the difference when on land. However, when I get home after seven days at sea usually feel dizzy like I am still moving for a day. That's the worst of it.
Old May 7th, 2003, 10:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

Mary Ann's advice to get an high up cabin is bad advice. Higher in the ship = more motion, just as there is more motion at the ends. The least motion is found low down, in the center of the ship. You will feel some motion anywhere you are while you are at sea, but in my opinion, it is minimal. My wife and daughter used the non-electronic wrist bands on our last cruise and they seemed to help them a lot. Me, I like the motion.
Old May 7th, 2003, 08:54 PM
Yeoman

My wife and I are lucky that we don't get seasickness b/c we have ridden 50 foot waves in the transatlantic (would have paid extra for it too) on the "Vision." However, prevention is the cure so if you even think it might affect you, start the pills the day before the cruise and it really should take care of it.