Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 14th, 2003, 08:29 PM
Passenger

Default new Voyager route

Is anyone scheduled to take the new route on the Voyager of the Seas? Starting 11/30/03 they are going to Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, Cozomel and Belize City every other week. We are going 12/14/03. Has anyone been to Costa Maya or Belize City? Any tips on shore excursions, etc. would be great.
Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2003, 06:35 AM
Admiral

Default Re: new Voyager route

I'm very happy to say I'm scheduled to cruise Voyager in February next week. I've never been to either port and am very much looking forward to it.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old May 15th, 2003, 10:19 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Sunny,
Yes, that itinary looks interesting, so much that we too will be on it in Feb with Marylou and a bunch of cruisers, can't wait. Have not been to Costa Maya or Belize, so looking forward to some new ports.

You'll have to let us know what you did there and how it was, OK?

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 15th, 2003, 01:45 PM
Admiral

We just returned from a stop at Belize. It is a tender port, so do allow for the up to 5 mile Belize tender ride. Travel to anywhere does take time. The port Tourist village is nice with many small shops. Don't miss a stop at the Pharmacy if you need anything for less compared to USA prices (no perscription needed). There are no beaches nearby to the port. Water taxi schedules can be obtained on line to Ambergis Caye which is a nice snorkeling or sunbathing site but don't miss the taxi! We took a private tour with Reggie Tapp and did Cave tubing @ $65pp vs. $85 from the ship but ours did not include lunch. Reggie is an excellent guide with a nice crew of family and friends that assist him. He did recently refurbish an airconditioned small school bus. He guarantees that he will get you back in time for the tender or will tender you himself. This is his only business so he knows what he has to do to keep everyone happy. He often tries to stop for lunch if time allows. His tour encounters at least one more cave and a longer hike at Jaguar Paw but it is the same site that the cruise ship will use. If this adventure is too strenuous for you or you have young children along, he will help you plan a tour just for you. The other often recommend ship tour would be the Altun Ha and River Wallace tour. These ancient Mayan ruins are nothing to be compared to Tulum or Chitcenitza, put if you have never seen them, this could be interesting.
There was a great story recently on this board about the new Costa Maya port.
Bon Voyage
Old May 15th, 2003, 03:10 PM
Passenger

Thanks so much for all your information. It'll sure come in handy when we go.
Old May 15th, 2003, 03:26 PM
First Mate

Are there golf courses in Belize and Costa Maya?
Old May 16th, 2003, 11:17 AM
Cruise Maniac

Larry the short answer, No.
Old May 19th, 2003, 01:19 PM
hcat

Costa Maya- we experienced-rough seas going in--had to re-dock around other side of pier. but very clean- Basically it is a created port--with a very long pier, trams are provided which is good in the hot sun.. When you get to the village there are local folks dressed in Mayan costumes, music etc. It is a recreated village- cum shopping mall with a wide variety of shops & decent prices. There is a beautiful pool with many lounges, also a small beach I recall--water rough. I guess you could remain there for the day but would not see much--but there is not much to see except jungle anyhow. It was immaculate with bathrroms, food etc. There is a nearby Town which we did not go to. We took a snorkeling excursion about 35-40 min away, going on a nice big a/c/ coach bus. We went past local efforts to build up the port area,, a little rural school (seemed pooorly outfitted) & local housing--mostly very poor, but some nicer waterfront places. The snorkeling spt was very nice but I found the water too rough as I was not feeling well-- not many people thought there was not that much to see but it is a natural reef whihc can be less colorful.. there were three experience levels & we were well supervised. Bathrooms were rustic but the driver, snorkel guides & snack servers could not have been nicer & spoke English. All in all we enjoyed the ride there & back & then had plenty of time to shop for some Mexican pottery.. We skipped the aftrenoon entertaiment--just too hot! It seems like a port yo could do two or three times before repetition would set in...eventually though there will be some very hot waterfront properties--- whihc you can now get at low end prices Enjoy!
Old June 21st, 2003, 06:01 PM
DonnaH

Hi Sunny,
I see the administrator does not like people to post information about commercial companies (even though people do). Your email address is not visible so I can't send you an email, so I will bend the rules a little.
In Belize, we took a private excursion with a company called Coral Breeze. They offer a great package that is different, better, and cheaper than those sold on the ship. Hope this helps.
Donna
Old June 21st, 2003, 07:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Nana,
Wow, thats for all that info on Reggie, really considering booking with him for our stop in Belize.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 21st, 2003, 09:34 PM
Beginner

We were at Costa Maya last December and went to the ruins at Kuhunlich. They are much better than Tulum. Covers a much bigger area with more buildings that you get to climb. With any luck you'll get the guide we had. He had maps, bird pictures that he had taken, plants and other items that the Mayans used that he passed around on the bus. Very good English and really cared about doing a good job and the history of the area. It was well worth the time and money. We did it as a ship excursion.
Even tho the tender ride at Belize is long, the boats they were using get you there in a hurry. Ours had 4 big outboards in perfect synch and the bow was riding high and you could have surfed on the wake. It was great.
All we did in Belize was go to the zoo.
Old June 23rd, 2003, 06:19 PM
Bethy

We are going on this itinery for our honeymoon on April 18th!! We are really looking forward to it!
Old June 26th, 2003, 10:09 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the info everyone...I'm counting down the days!! Can't wait to go!