Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 23rd, 2004, 12:10 PM
Passenger

Default Dolphin Touch & Dunns River

Has anybody done the Dolphin Touch Experience & Dunns River Falls excursion with R.C.?

Is it worth $78 per person? The swim with the dolphin is $125.
Just too much for for the four of us.

Thanks for info!
Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2004, 06:16 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to frank_holland Send a message via Yahoo to frank_holland
Default Re: Dolphin Touch & Dunns River

We didn't book our tours through the ship.
We rented a car and first drove off to Dunn's River Falls.
entry was $12 per person I guess, excluding $5 for the water shoes rent (those are excluded in the ships excursions as well and rentable at $8 then).

After that we went to the Dolphin Cove which is really close to the falls.
We weren't able to swim or touch the dolphins as it was fully booked for the day.
Nevertheless we were able to see other people swim with and the dolphins from upstairs and that actually was enough for us to be satisfied.

Then drove to some other locations on the island to fill the day.

Caribbean Princess
Old January 23rd, 2004, 08:16 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Ty Send a message via Yahoo to Ty

Me and my family did the Dunns river falls but not the dolphin touch, the Dunns river falls is a quite beautiful experience because when you start from the bottom you are kind of scared but when you reach the top you feel like a champion, and as a warning it takes about a half an hour or so to climb it since there might be alot of people ahead of you. It was kind of hard for us to climb because we were drenched with rain while docked in jamaica.

Hope that helps

Carnival Fantasy
Monarch of the Seas
Voyager of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Old January 23rd, 2004, 10:37 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to frank_holland Send a message via Yahoo to frank_holland

Ty when were you there ?
We were in Ocho Rios January 9th 2004 also drenched with rain.

Caribbean Princess
Old January 24th, 2004, 03:58 AM
First Mate

I highly reccommend the white river tubing if it is still offered. Very relaxing and fun for family. Duns river is nice too but a bit more of a tourist trap.

Old January 24th, 2004, 05:14 PM
Mark&Deb

Daughter & son-in-law stayed in O.R. over Christmas - rained most of the time for them. Did Dunn's River - said it was very nice & glad they did it but also kind of a tourist trap. Did the Dolphins & they pretty much said it was just that - Dolphin TOUCH & not much else - had to pay even MORE $ if you wanted to swim more w/them. Plus you could not take your own pictures - had to buy theirs - no under water cameras allowed.

Mark&Deb
Old January 24th, 2004, 05:24 PM
Joanna

I would also really like to know about the swim with the dolphins excursion. How much do you actually interact with them?
Old January 24th, 2004, 10:51 PM
Passenger

Seems like it always rains in Ocho Rios then

Joanna, as for what I have seen from upstairs is that you're waiting in a line with other people and every now and then a dolphin comes up, swimming towards all the people in the line in about 3 seconds and all you can do is touch the dolphin.
Also the employees at the dolphin cove are doing some tricks with the dolphins.
I guess if you pay for the more expensive part (swim with dolphins instead of touch them) you might be able to actually swim with them, but even then I think it won't be a long time. I haven't seen anyone actually swimming with a dolphin during the 10 minutes I was watching them, maybe someone else can give another review on this ?

Caribbean Princess
Old January 27th, 2004, 07:32 PM
First Mate

A guy at our table did the dolphin encounter and came back in a rage. Sounds like a real rip off. We have been to Jamaica a bunch of times on RCL and as I said above, the tubing on the white river was probably our favorite. There is also a nice tour that goes to the falls and then has ocean kayaks. That was a lot of fun.

Old February 18th, 2004, 12:40 PM
JennN

I just cam across this message, so I hope you haven't gone on your trip yet. My fiance and I did the Falls/Dolphin Touch Experience last month. The falls are beautiful, however, there were so many people that we decided not to climb them. Being with a group they want you to hold hands and we didn't feel like putting our safety in someone elses hands, or theirs in ours for that matter. You can walk up along side them. They will try and get you to rent the water shoes when you get there.

The dolphin touch experience was great. You get to pet the dolphin several times and they take your picture with it while you are holding the head in your hands. Of course the photo costs $15 a piece, I think, but we had to have them. You don't get to swim with them, which you can purchase a video of, but we felt just as fulfilled doing what we did. We definitely look forward to another dolphin experience in the future.

Oh, and beware, the local vendors at the Falls are very pushy. They will stick stuff right in your hands, and get offended if you don't want the item. Also, if someone offers you a little carved wooden statue tha he or his cousin made, and that they will carve your name in - don't be fooled - they all have the same little statues and the same story line. They almost got my finance until I pulled him away.
Old February 18th, 2004, 05:06 PM
Passenger

We haven't gone yet.

We're going on May 21!!

Thanks for the info.

David
Old February 18th, 2004, 05:38 PM
Linda H.

We're also going on VOS May 21. We are planning to do Dunns River Falls. Also planning to go to Jimmy Buffetts Margaritaville in Jamaca. See you there. Linda H.
Old February 19th, 2004, 10:48 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Dolphin Touch & Dunns River

We are planning the Dunns River/Dolphin Swim .... But I would love to see Margaritaville. Is there a shore excursion or is this something you do on your own??
Old February 19th, 2004, 05:29 PM
Passenger

We switched ours from the touch to the swim instead because of what we read.
Old February 19th, 2004, 06:50 PM
Linda H.

Margaritaville is located at Island Village right on the beach. It is something you would do on your own. There is a website you can go to to see pictures. Go to Margaritaville.com and click on CAFES , then click on Jamacia location. It looks like a lot of fun. I am a big Jimmy Buffett fan so this is on my list of things not to miss. LINDA H.