Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 23rd, 2004, 06:14 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Grand Caymen

Hello,
I am in need of some help please.

We will be in grand caymen in april on the nav. and would like some info on excurstions (sp) . We DO NOT want to go to see the sting rays and are NOT interested in an type of ruins.
Can anyone suggest a GREAT beach? I know about seven mile beach and we were there last year. We had gone horseback ridind and after they droped us off at a resort . It was nice but where we when in (don't remember the name of the resort) but it cost us like $10 each to get in , was kinda of crowded, They did have a subway for food there so that was kinda cool for lunch ( at double the price). After we got setteled I did notice a FREE public access to the beach not more then a 100 yds down the beach. In fact I saw people coming in form there and then just walking down to the resort we were at and hanging out there all day.

So my Question is this .... Where is the best place to go , At seven mile beach that will not carge an arm and a leg to get in but also has a nice facility. or is there somewhere else beside seven mile beach.

Thanks for any info

Scott

P.S. Sorry about the spelling
Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2004, 08:08 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Grand Caymen

Hi,

Just got back from Grand Cayman. We took a taxi ($4.00 pp) to Seven Mile Beach. The driver told us that at the Holiday Inn entrance it was free to get in, so that's where we let her drop us off. We did rent snorkel equipment ($15.00 each), but as she said we'd have to rent chairs we decided to do without. Turned out there were hundreds of empty chairs, nobody checking it, so we got chairs, went to the bar and ordered drinks (not cheap, but I didn't faint or anything), had a wonderful few hours. Several others from our ship turned out to be there, and we were very happy with the experience, considering how close it was to pier, the abundance of quick taxis back before boarding, etc. I'm not much of a risk taker, so that would be my destination again since the experience was so positive.

Hope that helps.

cjh
Old January 23rd, 2004, 09:46 AM
D Walstead

If you like sun, not a lot of people and great food and the beach entrance is close to the ship and FREE and great snorkeling and free beach chairs try Paridise Reef. This is a very small area just about 200 yards to the right as you get past the pier building. Look just past the submarine building for the purple roof. My husband and I spent most of the day there. AWESOME snorkeling, great food and drinks. Do try the conch....it is delicious! Great little resturant and bar building. People were very friendly and the snorkeling is WONDERFUL! Lots and lots and lots of fish. Let me know if you have any other questions regarding this.
Old January 23rd, 2004, 06:04 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to frank_holland Send a message via Yahoo to frank_holland

When it comes to the beach I have to go with cjh and reccomend the free entrance to Seven Mile Beach.
But then there are still some other nice things to do on Grand Cayman.

We rented a car not far from the pier where the tenders will get you ashore.
From there we drove to Seven Mile Beach (free part) where we relaxed a bit.
Then drove further north towards Hell and the Turtle Farm.
Hell is nice to go but nothing really special, just fun to have been there.
The turtle farm is awesome. I've never seen so many turtles in so many different sizes before. You're even able to pick some up when they swim close to you and then take a picture of you holding a massive turtle.
After that we drove back to Georgetown, visited a local supermarket before heading down to Bodden Town to see the Pirate Caves, we didn't go in there though, as it didn't seem to be a real big tourist attraction.
After that we drove further eastwards towards the islands blow holes which was a very nice spot to go to.
You're able to walk down to the ocean and get wet through some magnifficent blow holes.
Then we drove backwards to the Pedro St. James Castle which wasn't a nice castle to see, so we didn't go inside, but then at the end of the parking place there was a marvellous spot with a beautiful view of the ocean.
Finally got back to Georgetown do to some shopping there before bringin back the car and heading back to the ship.

Caribbean Princess
Old January 24th, 2004, 07:27 AM
Passenger

Good Morning,

Do they drive on the left or the right? I know in Jamaica you drive on the left side.

Did you rent the car or jeep ahead of time.

We'll be going there in May and I want to do this port on our own.

I was looking into the buses or the taxis but I would love to rent a car.

Thanks ahead time for your help,

David
Old January 24th, 2004, 10:40 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to frank_holland Send a message via Yahoo to frank_holland

David, In Cayman they drive on the left side of the road like in Jamaica.
We didn't rent the car ahead of time.
Once the tenders dropped us ashore we walked to the left. After about 150 metres you will see a motor/scooter rental company on the other side of the road.
After another 150 metres you will be at the car rental.

Caribbean Princess
Old January 24th, 2004, 11:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

We have spent spring break in Cayman for the last 4 years. You have many options. One is to rent a car like was mentioned above. Another is to walk north (left) from the pier and when you come to a bus sign, just wait. Soon a van will come by and take you (cheap) up 7 mile beach. Anywhere you see a swimmer sign is public access to the beach. If you like to snorkel and have your own gear, have the bus driver drop you off at Cemetary beach. (Yes, it is behind a quaint cemetary) The beach there is nice and if you swim out a ways, there is some nice reef action going on. Another option, if your cruiseline offers an excursion to Rum Point, that is another great idea. This is not on 7 mile (you take a ferry from the Hyatt), but, it is beautiful there with a great pier, open air bar, restaurant, hammocks, shade, nice bathroom facilities, souvenier shop, iguanas, parrot(s), snorkel rental, jet skis, and once again, nice snorkeling. Sometimes there even is live music. You can also get there by rental car, but you'd better watch your time as you have to return your car and get back to your ship. It is a 40 minute drive and sometimes there are decent sized traffic jams for such a little island! Have fun and enjoy one of the most wonderful islands on earth!