Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 26th, 2003, 03:20 PM
Beginner

Default TA has all the power!!

I can't get over this one! I found out that Main seating is Early seating which we did not request. Our TA was told to request Late seating for us. She apparently did not do this as RCCL documents make a notation when you are given an alternate seating (with an asterisk) and there isn't one in our documents. When my cousin called RCCL to change this she was told that while there are openings for both seatings- none of us could make the change. ONLY THE TA COULD MAKE A CHANGE! That was in the contract RCCL has with this Travel agency. Not only did we not know this, but the TA told us we could make changes on the ship. This means if we want to upgrade, or change anything once we are onboard, we can't!! Now we have to go to the TA tomorrow and get them to make a couple of changes we thought we could do ourselves and then have them write a letter to RCCL releasing the booking to us (which they legally can refuse to do!) so we can make changes on the ship if we have to! My cousin is ready to call the Attorney General if she has to as they really misrepresented themselves to us. I'm just glad we found out about this now and not after we come aboard! Hope all will check this with their TA's!
Not all have this in their contract I guess. We should have been told!!! Hope we can make our change in dining as they are filling up and we have to wait until stupid TA office is open tomorrow morning- closed today because of Memorial Day!
Sponsored Links
Old May 26th, 2003, 04:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: TA has all the power!!

The TA is the agent between you and the cruise line. Once you have a TA the cruise line likes all requests to go through them. Whether the TA requested late seating or not is a question, and they should have since you specified. However, these seating assignments are requests only. If RCI has told you there is room at late seating, there should be no problem having the TA make the change.

Once onboard you'll see a line of people waiting to see the Maitre D. They will all be trying to make changes to their dining assignments. Again, this IS something you can do yourself..... if there is availiblity.

As to purchasing an upgrade on the ship. You should check at the pier before you board. If space is available, you can purchase the upgrade there, regardless of if you used a TA.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old May 28th, 2003, 02:15 PM
DFritz

I recently went through a major shock when I found out that the TA does have all the power. Be very grateful that your TA only screwed up a seating assignment. Our TA took the money from our cruise and transfered it to another client and then took customer credit card numbers and had herself a field day using cards fraudulently to the tune of almost a half of a million dollars. When I called the cruise companies ( we had two cruises booked ) both companies told me they could not relinquish any information about our account, our credit card transactions, or information pertaining to our cruises as we had a TA handling it. I found out that the TA can cancel your cruise and get the refund issued to them without the customers knowing that it has happened until it is too late. I had to fax the cruise companies a letter rejecting my agent, having her removed as my agent of record, a statement from the police department regarding the criminal charges that were pending and a newspaper article explaining it all before they would give up information . It took two weeks, a change in my credit cards, before I was able to get everything straightened out. Needless to say I will never trust a TA again as they do have all of the control. Yes, she was a member of the Chamber of Commerce, had no complaints against her with the Better Business Bureau and was licensed and certified. Saying all that, I will say that I do think you will easily be able to upgrade at the ship if something is available and you will be able to adjust your dinner seating if space is available. These are easier things to do on your own without a TA once at the pier. The problem is trying to do anything before the pier without your agent.
Old May 28th, 2003, 03:19 PM
serene56

Just because you "requested" late seating doesnt mean you will get it. It is a request only. It tell you that when you are asking.

Like the poster says..wait til you get onboard and "try" to get the seating you want. It depends on how crowded the ship is and if there is room.
I am curious to how things work. ...did you just book the cruise or was it booked far in advanced.
Old May 30th, 2003, 11:15 AM
Brandon

Default Re: Re: TA has all the power!!

Okay, as a TA, I think your threats to go to the Attorney General are a bit premature. Yes your TA didn't specify the dining you preferred to RCL but that doesn't mean you would have necessarily gotten it anyway. It's just luck at this point that your seating preference is still open. Also, how many bookings are you speaking of? A group perhaps? If that is the case and the cruise line and TA links the bookings if someone has requested a Early seating preference it will drop the rest of the reservations in line with that if there are no other requests. Lastly, perhaps your TA has given you bad information or chooses to lie rather than admit mistakes but you now know you can change the dining time onboard so why not just wait instead of threating and pulling bookings and everything else? Frankly you may request to have your booking from this TA pulled and transferred to the cruise line..but if I were the TA I would say to you that you must cancel the booking with me resulting in the CANCELLING of your cruise, probably be charged a penalty for the cancellation (either TA or Cruise line created) and take the chance of trying to rebook your same cabins and all other requests you currently have in.

Don't move to quickly, mistakes happen and yes, I've heard this 1,000,000 times "I am paying good money for this trip so it should be right" but remember, this is a job and unless you can say you never make mistakes at work don't be so quick to throw stones and inflict terrible retributions. Nothing that major has been done to cause such a reaction like you've theatened to follow suit with.