Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 30th, 2003, 07:01 PM
N

Default Navigator of the Seas

Sailing during hurricane season to the Western Carribbean (Cozumel, Cayman, Haiti, and Jamaica), any tips?

Also, is it better to book an excursion on the ship or on your own?
Sponsored Links
Old May 31st, 2003, 06:27 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to RICKinFL Send a message via MSN to RICKinFL
Default Re: Navigator of the Seas

N.... I really would'nt worry to much about hurricane season if there is a storm they can sail around it and may even change port of calls .As for Excursion you might be better to book through cruise line....they might be a tad more but if something happins at port either getting in late or tour ending late the boat won't leave with out ya..where as if ya book through a 3rd party you could be left stranded since most ships won't wait for passengers if ther're late.......Happy Cruzin....Rick
Old May 31st, 2003, 09:23 AM
Browezilla

We're doing the same on the Navigator this fall. Here are a few tips:
1) Plan to arrive at the departure port a day early if you have to fly in. This may not be necessary if you can drive there. Ships will steer around hurricanes, but you've got to make it to port to embark (same with debarcation if the ship can't make it into port). It would be rare to not be able to get into Miami on the day of your cruise. This almost happened to us on a Southern Itinerary. We sailed from San Juan on the first day the airport was open after Hurricane George ravaged the island. As for Miami, we plan to fly there, but if the weather turns we do have the option of driving there if we leave a day early
2) Booking through the CL for excursions isn't necessary. Just be sure what the cancellation policy is for your own private bookings. A private booking can also replan their excursion last minute if certain areas have been hit with rough weather lately (e.g. a hurricane isn't there now, but it may have been last week). RCCL is great about letting you cancel excursions last minute due to weather, so you may want to play it safe and book excursions through them
3) Hurricanes don't happen in the west as much as they do the east, however once one comes through, the results may be long lasting: from downed trees/facilities to murky water if you dive/snorkel. On the afore mentioned South Cruise, we got to St Martin after it had been "deforested" from George. Trees down, powerpoles down, etc. We went horseback ridng that day, but the trip had to change to accommodate trail damage. The beach we were to ride on was completely GONE, and replaced with piles of loose rocks about the size of large grapefruit. Really odd. No sand to be seen at the shoreline. The moral is: You may need to be flexible with your excursions (again, it is a rare occurrance that you would be going to the same place that a hurricane would be)
4)Be flexible on your return as a hurricane may be in Miami or the area when you return. Again, rare, as most hurricanes turn north before this.
5) Just keep on eye on the weather there the week before your trip and plan/replan accordingly. I wouldn't be too concerned about it. I've cruised 6 times during hurricane season with only the one incident mentioned above. Most times you get a fabulous cruise at rock bottom pricing. What date are sailing on?
Old June 2nd, 2003, 01:59 PM
tvanhooz

My wife and I have cruised SEVERAL times during "hurricane season" and have never even encountered rough seas. They are SUPERB and getting around rough water and as long as you are flexible and don't mind them changing itineraries on you if they have to....you will have a GREAT time.

We are already booked for Navigator of the Seas for Sept. 6.

Happy cruising!
Old June 2nd, 2003, 02:06 PM
First Mate

We are booked on the Navigator for 9/27. This will be our 4th cruise, and the other 3 were all in Sept./Oct., had gorgeous weather everytime so far. I am hoping for that again.......but whatever it is, we will go with it and have fun!

When are you booked on Navigator?
Old June 4th, 2003, 08:35 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Navigator of the Seas

We are also going on Navigator 10-4-03!! Glad to hear the information on tours from the ship.
Old June 5th, 2003, 03:00 AM
kody

I am glad to hear about the good weather. My husband and I will be on the Navigator of the Seas on Sept 20th for our First anniversary (Sept 21). We know we will have a blast no matter what, but we are hoping for good weather.

The info on the excursions were very helpful.

Thanks!!!
Old June 9th, 2003, 05:34 AM
Beginner

Hi,

I would take a good look at what the navigator has to offer and compare it to the others. A lot of people on cruise critics seem to like to set up their own, but there is a certain amount of risk involved. If you're not back to the ship in time the ship will sail! If the RCCL sets it up they will wait!!

Old June 9th, 2003, 09:04 AM
Browezilla

Hey Doughboy,

We're on the 10-04-03 also. I have about 18 people going. This is a great ship. I can't wait!
Old June 11th, 2003, 12:57 PM
JonP

We are on the 9/13/03. This will be our first cruise and I was a little concerned about Hurricane season but as I read about it, my mind is eased somewhat.
I was not so much concerned with rough seas, but change of ports or not being able to port at all. For us that would not be good as we are looking forward to San Juan to meet up with a jewelry dealer.
No matter we will have a great time as I have heard this ship is awesome!
Old June 25th, 2003, 08:27 PM
DFritz

Default Re: Re: Navigator of the Seas

We are looking forward to San Juan as well when we sail this ship, this date. Have you signed up for the Cruise Critic party?
Old June 30th, 2003, 08:46 AM
JonP

Not yet. I will look into doing that today..