Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 1st, 2003, 11:49 PM
Doug Gunn

Default Larger Ships

Most of my cruises have been on the Spirit class ships on Carnival and my first Royal Caribbean Cruise on the Radiance. I am thinking about trying the larger ships, Voyager, Adventure, etc. Can having so much to do make you lose your sense of adventure of crusing on the larger ships.
Sponsored Links
Old June 2nd, 2003, 12:39 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Larger Ships

Hi Doug,

I hope not! We are booked on The Voyager in August and are looking forward to all the great choices on board.

Bill
Old June 2nd, 2003, 05:41 AM
Admiral

Doug, I, too, have hope not as we are booked on Voyager for next February. It will be the first time for us too! I loved the radiance class ship, but am looking forward to Voyager.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old June 2nd, 2003, 08:00 AM
First Mate

We are booked on the Navigator in September, I am also a little concerned about sailing on such a large ship, will we spend most of our time on sea days walking to get from one place to another?

Don't get me wrong I am looking forward to it! Just never had any experience with such a large ship. Our last cruise was on the Enchantment 2 years ago, and that was the perfect size, and a GORGEOUS ship. Not one complaint or negative comment about the whole cruise. I think RCL is the best line, and we have been on Celebrity, Carnival and RCL.

I just hope we don't feel lost on such a huge ship..........
Old June 2nd, 2003, 08:38 AM
nic

My family was on the Carnival Conquest last December and I thought it was a bit big. Having been on the Grand Princess the July before, which I also thought was too big. I have been on the Sensation and Enchantment of the Sea and those to me were perfect sizes.

That being said I still had a good time and you can still get where you need in a resonable amount of time. We will be on the Navigator of the Sea in a month and are looking forward to that but after that I think we will stick to the less massive ships unless we find another good deal. The only problem I had on the bigger ships was it seemed easy to run into dead ends when trying to get from one place to another. Make sure you get acquanted as soon as possible and if you can get a pocket size map of the ship, even better.
Old June 2nd, 2003, 11:52 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I generally like large ships because of the amenities they offer. However, I've now settled in to enjoying the 70,000 -90,000 ton ships the most.
Many people do seem to like the Voyager class ships, and even though we enjoyed our sailing on them, I found them to be much more like a floating mall, than a ship. It felt like there was very little contact with water (other than the pool), and the Promenade was just like any on land mall you'd visit.

If you do sail one of these, the ship really is your destination, and it doesnt even matter if its a ship.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old June 2nd, 2003, 01:05 PM
BillG

overall I agree with Kuki's assessment. There are so many unique features to the Voyager Class ship and the layout is such that you rarely feel that you are on as large as ship as it actually is, and the passengers are so well dispersed throughout the ship that it doesn't seem crowded. I went on Explorer expecting it to be too massive and thoroughly loved my week onboard. I did miss some of that "at sea" experience however, especially when in the Royal Promenade or some of the interior areas of the ship. Since then we have sailed once on Radiance, twice on the Brilliance (with yet another on the Brilliance planned for next March), and feel that the Radiance class ships are the ideal in size and amenities, and the fact that you never lose sight of the fact that you are sailing on a beautiful ship with wonderful views of the sea.
Old June 4th, 2003, 07:01 AM
First Mate

I am really glad to hear that. We have been on Navigator and our next cruise is on Adventurer. However, we are doing Alaska again next year on the Serenade and I was a little concerned that I might be disappointed because of the size. I have only heard great things from all cruisers about the Brillance so I'm sure it will be great. Thanks for your opinion. Enjoy!
Old June 4th, 2003, 07:58 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Larger Ships

Julie,

What is your opinion of the Navigator? We are going 9/27 and this is our first Mega Ship. How was the food & service? Was the ship easy to get around?

Thanks a lot!
Old June 18th, 2003, 10:39 PM
Kelly C

Default Re: Re: Re: Larger Ships

INCREDIBLE..the Navigator is fantastic...the food was excellent in all restuarants as well the service was great .
As far as ease of navigating the ship.....after your first run around the boat you'll know your way around..my 10 year old had no problems either.

Hoping to go back soon.
Old June 19th, 2003, 09:04 PM
Yeoman

I think you will like the larger ships. I didn't think it felt too big and it definately didn't fell any more crowded than the smaller ships. I've been on the Explorer and loved it. I can't wait to go on the new Navigator.

I've also been on the Brilliance of the Seas and felt like I was also on one of the larger ships. Keep in mind though, that the larger ships sometimes cannot pull up to the dock and you will have to tender.

I just went on the Horizon to Bermuda and I must say I was dissappointed because I was used to the newer larger ships. My next cruise is on the Summit in December. I think I will stay with the larger ships unless there's an itinerary I absolutely want to go to which requires a smaller ship.

Happy cruising no matter what ship you choose.
Old June 20th, 2003, 06:41 AM
Cruise Maniac

What I enjoyed about the Adventure is that you still get your sea legs and can feel the ship move. I was worried that we would forget that we were on a ship because of how large she is, but we never forgot especially when we went outside on Deck 4 at night playing shuffle board with a drink in hand and watching the waves crash against her while plowing through a stiff wind.

Jay