Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 8th, 2003, 12:33 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Michele
Default Monarch refurbishing

Hi there, I'm new to Royal Caribbean having sailed three times in the last year on Celebrity. I am going on a three day voyage from Los Angeles at the end of June and want to know if the whole ship has been refurbished or have just the climbing wall and restaurants been redone. I also want to know if there is a formal night on a three day cruise. Thanks so very much.
Sponsored Links
Old June 8th, 2003, 12:49 AM
Delores

Default Re: Monarch refurbishing

Michele, If you read the reviews on this site & at My Travel, you will see that this whole ship needs a lot of help. Hopefully, it has gotten it & will make everyone a lot happier. I myself am thinking of going with a group of ladies on it next Jan. But I will wait & see how the new reviews sound. I hope you have an enjoyable cruise. Let us know how it was afterwards.
Old June 11th, 2003, 03:53 PM
Lady Jag

Spoke with a TA who just got back from the 2 day cruise to nowhere. She said the ship was absolutely beautiful - totally redone everywhere. They were still working fast and furiously getting the finishing touches done. There's a free-standing rock climbing wall too, new restaurants, bars, a disco, teens area, etc. BIG changes.
Old June 11th, 2003, 05:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'd sure like to see some pictures of the staterooms but no one has posted those yet.

Suzi
Old June 14th, 2003, 01:45 PM
MusicGirl

I would also like to see some pictures of the Monarch. Can any recent cruiser tell me about the food,activities, and decor?
Old June 14th, 2003, 02:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Cruisers:

Just returned last night from Monarch. The updates are very well done. Don't know how anyone could find them "awful" it was really rather beautiful. It was easy to forget that vessel is considered to be a mature ship. Now, this does not mean that the cruise itself was flawless. We went expecting there to be unfinished items and some staff confusion and were not dissappointed in that regard. Did it effect our cruise, absolutely not. In fact I believe if furthered our appreciation of what it takes to keep these cities at sea afloat. The renovations are lovely. The new Boleros bar is very pretty. Staterooms fresh and nicely done. New carpet, upholstry in all locations. Dissappointed that Jade Sushi was not opened for our cruise, but met the Executive Chef, Ron Kane and he hoped to open it for the 3 night cruise this weekend. Rock wall very busy. Checked out the kids area for an August cruise with my nephew, and found them nicer than those I've seen on two of the Radiance class vessels. Tendering in Catalina could use a lot of fine turning. One tender boat (I believe they were using two retired Catalina Express transport boats) crashed into the side of the ship. No one hurt, but left some nice reminders on the side of Monarch. As the Tenders were larger than normal tendering vessels, their exhaust made its way to the veranda level and made them virtually unusable for the day (nor could you keep your door open for fresh air). Loved the ship, would do it again, in fact, I am doing it again in August!

Leslie

8/4/03 - Monarch
11/5/03 - Mercury
Old June 15th, 2003, 12:28 PM
Lady Jag

Default Re: Re: Monarch refurbishing

Thanks so much for your comments, Leslie!! I appreciate hearing the good AND the bad - it makes for a much more credible report! If you get the chance, could you post them at cruise-addicts on the RCI board? There are a lot of people asking for reports back on the Monarch there. Thanks again!!
Old June 16th, 2003, 12:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Leslie -

Thanks for the update. We're really anxious to see her....but it's not until September.
As I said above, I'm curious about the cabins. We have a Cat D and that is the one Cat that doesn't have a photo (at least on the RCCL site).

Musicgirl - there are pictures of the Monarch in one of the Photo Galleries.

Suzi
Old June 22nd, 2003, 06:52 PM
Dominique

Thanks for the new news on Monarch, especially Catalina. Any comments on snorkeling activities there? Also, what are the chances of last-minute cabin upgrades? We have a preggie and a weekend warrior with a bad knee.

Domie
Old June 22nd, 2003, 10:36 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to AZDENNY

I would love to see some pics of the staterooms on the Monarch as I am traveling on the 8/18 cruise.

Old June 23rd, 2003, 11:24 AM
Lady Jag

We're on the 8/18 sailing too! This will be my 9th cruise, husband's 10th, and our two sons' 7th cruise. The boys are 11 & 13.

Have you seen the pictures at: http://www.cruisesbyjohn.com

Scroll down his home page and click on the Monarch pictures. He has some really clear shots of the Cat. B cabins and a few others.

There are also some great pics at the photo gallery on this board.