Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 17th, 2003, 03:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to DanaB
Default Soverign of the Seas, dry dock - when?

Anyone know when Soverign of the Seas is scheduled for dry dock to install the rock climbing wall? I hear it will be very soon. Wondering if the work will be done by the time I'm back on Her in early September?

Dana

Sovereign of the Seas - 12/22/02
Sovereign of the Seas - 04/27/03
Sovereign of the Seas - 09/04/03 *and* 09/07/03
Sponsored Links
Old June 17th, 2003, 03:20 PM
TBRay

Default Re: Soverign of the Seas, dry dock - when?

Seems I heard July is the drydock date but I don't have anything to confirm it.
RCI's website is presently down for repairs. It's probably posted there.
Old June 17th, 2003, 09:19 PM
Eugenia

I have found out through my TA that Sovereign goes into dry dock in mid November-my 3 night cruise Nov 13 turned into 4 at no extra charge to accomodate those that had booked for the 17th-21. Plus, I couldn't even find my cruise on any sites for several weeks, b/c it had been blocked off to try and move people from cancelled cruises to ones with space. Anyhow, it could be going before then, but I know of that for sure.
Old June 17th, 2003, 10:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Soverign of the Seas, dry dock - when?

Probably choose that time to make room for the Mariner!!

Old June 17th, 2003, 11:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Soverign of the Seas, dry dock - when?

Thanks, a pal of mine was just on the ship and his stateroom attendant said it would be in about 8 weeks and for 2 weeks only.

Dana

Sovereign of the Seas - 12/22/02
Sovereign of the Seas - 04/27/03
Sovereign of the Seas - 09/04/03 *and* 09/07/03
Old June 18th, 2003, 09:22 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Dana,
According to the RCCL web-site Soverign will be worked on in July:

Rock-Climbing Walls Coming Soon To A Cruise Ship Near You
Royal Caribbean Announces Plans to Outfit Entire Fleet with Signature Rock-Climbing Walls

Miami - March 18, 2003 - Royal Caribbean International, the cruise line that redefined traditional expectations of cruising by putting rock-climbing walls onboard its newest cruise ships, today announced plans to offer the popular feature fleetwide by November 2003. First introduced on Voyager of the Seas in 1999, the rock-climbing walls quickly captured national interest and became a star attraction on each new Royal Caribbean ship that followed. The line’s current plans call for the walls to be retro-fitted on ships launched before 1999, and be installed on three Royal Caribbean ships scheduled to debut in late 2003 and spring 2004.

"Over the past few years, the rock-climbing walls have become a brand icon for us," said Dan Hanrahan, senior vice president, Marketing and Sales, Royal Caribbean International. "They reflect a new attitude toward cruising and epitomize the innovations and unexpected experiences guests enjoy on a Royal Caribbean vacation. We offer many different ways for travelers to ‘get out there’ whether it’s snorkeling with stingrays or simply trying a new wine at Chops Grille steakhouse or a new regional Italian dish at Portofino’s, but increasingly the rock-climbing walls have become the symbol of the active, adventurous spirit we are known for."

Perched on the top decks, the rock-climbing walls challenge guests to reach new heights and reward them with an unparalleled, bird’s eye view of the ship, sea and sky. On Voyager-class vessels, the top of the walls are nearly 200 feet above the ocean. The walls are designed to suit both beginners and advanced climbers. Lessons are offered on every sailing by trained ship staff.

Fleetwide installations begin in late May with Monarch of the Seas, which will be refitted before arriving in her new homeport of Los Angeles. The remainder of the ships will be outfitted with rock-climbing walls by the end of the year: Majesty of the Seas (June); Sovereign of the Seas (July); Rhapsody of the Seas (August); Enchantment of the Seas (August); Vision of the Seas (October); Grandeur of the Seas (October); Splendour of the Seas (October); Nordic Empress (November); and Legend of the Seas (November).

Royal Caribbean International is a global

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 21st, 2003, 10:51 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to SRobinM

Does anyone know where Royal Caribbean dry docks their ships? My parents live right next to the Ship yard in Newport News and have seen several other lines ships dry docked there for cleaning, repairs and upgrades. They took their 25th Anniversary cruise on Royal Caribbean and would be very excited to hear of a RC ship coming soon.
Old August 3rd, 2003, 12:12 PM
Passenger

My husband I wrr going to choose this ship but we chose the Majesty...Just to let you know, when I called RCL they said Sovereign was going to be dry docked in August.
Old August 6th, 2003, 02:15 AM
Monte

I just returned from a cruise on Sovereign of the Seas this past Sunday, August 3rd. While we were waiting in line to pick up our bags, they were lifting the rock climbing wall to the top of the ship with a crane there in the dock at Port Canareval.
Old August 6th, 2003, 09:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

Yippee! Monty, thanks for the update! Did you have a good time?

DAna
Old August 6th, 2003, 09:36 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to -Rob

AWESOME!!!! We normally go on a cruise every summer, and each time has been on a Carnival Ship. We are already booked on the Glory for Summer 2004. Our friends are going on a short get-away on the soverign in Janurary 2004, so we decided to join. Even more excited now I know there will be a rock wall!!!

Rob
Old August 6th, 2003, 09:57 PM
Monte

We had a great time on the cruise. It was our first, but won't be the last. Already ordered information on some of the other cruises. Would like to take one to Alaska. I watched some of the guys welding the base and getting ready for the rock wall while we were headed to Nassau, but didn't think they would be installing it as soon as we returned, but they did. They had it sitting on the deck buy the time we left the port. Take care and enjoy your cruise.

Monte