Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 22nd, 2003, 06:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default OVERNIGHT @PORT IN MIAMI

We are arriving the day before our much aniticipated VOYAGER cruise in December & would like to stay somplace within walking distance to the Bayside Marketplace since we are traveling with our 19 & 20 yr old sons & they need someplace to go ..if you all know what I mean.. Any suggestions to a nearby place to stay will be appreciated. We are flying home from Ft Lauderdale & are planning on renting a car & spending the day visiting relatives. Do we have to go to the airport after the cruise to get the car or can we pick it up at the port?
Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2003, 01:58 PM
Admiral

Default Re: OVERNIGHT @PORT IN MIAMI

Try going onto Priceline.com and bid on a downtown Miami hotel for $40. Today I did that and got the Marriot Bayside resort, total cost, $51.05 (includes tax & service fees).
Good luck, :-)

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old June 22nd, 2003, 08:11 PM
BillG

The Hyatt Hotel and the Interncontinental are certainly within walking distance of Bayside and are quite nice hotels. There is also a Holiday Inn ight across the street from Bayside, but IMHO the Hyatt, Intercontinental or Marriott Bayside are much better choices, and you can usually get them on price line for less than the price of the Holiday Inn. Like the poster above, we got the Bayside Marriott for March, and only paid $40 plus tax and service charge (we got it about a month ago). There used to be a car rental agency at the pier, but no longer. You will either have to take a cab to the rental agency (some of them are located off the airport property), or they may have their shuttle vans coming to the pier on a regular basis. I'm sure the ones that visit the pier will be glad to tell you their schedule. Enjoy your cruise!
Rita
Old June 23rd, 2003, 10:49 AM
David Pearce

I stayed at the Marriott last year but it is a good 30-45 minute walk from the Marketplace. One thing good about the Marriott is the outdoor pool. Great view and open to 11pm I believe. Plus the food in the restaurant wasn't bad either.

Hope this helps.
Old June 23rd, 2003, 02:24 PM
Ritag

We have stayed at the Marriott Biscayne Bay, and it's 1/2 mile from Bayside. I don't think that means a 30-45 minute walk, unless you walk really really slow.
Old June 24th, 2003, 06:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: OVERNIGHT @PORT IN MIAMI

We don't arrive in Miami until 9pm & since we are travelling with our 19 & 20 yr old sons we thought that if were close to the Bayside Marketplace we could have a place to hang out a bit before bedtime..get something to eat, unwind, etc...Is the Holiday Inn the only place that's really close? I know I don't want to walk half an hr..10 minutes would be more like it..call me lazy but I want to relax with a couple of drinks & get into "vacation mode"
Old June 25th, 2003, 08:15 AM
Ritag

Default Re: Re: Re: OVERNIGHT @PORT IN MIAMI

Mimi, if you don't arrive till 9, by the time you get to your hotel and check in it will probably be closer to 10, and I don't know what hours Bayside is open . The Holiday Inn is right across the street, the Interncontinental is about a 5 minute walk, and both the Hyatt and Marriott are about a 10 minute walk, (despite what the other poster said about it being a 30 minute walk, )but at that time of night I don't know if I would walk from either place. Different in the daytime. There is also a Days Inn diagonally across from Bayside, but I have never heard anything about it, and it looks kind of run down. The Holiday Inn is OK for a night, and is the closest to Bayside.
Old June 28th, 2003, 10:44 PM
Passenger

Has anyone stayed at the Wyndham Coconut Groove? Tell me about it??????
Old June 29th, 2003, 05:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: OVERNIGHT @PORT IN MIAMI

ritag:

Thanks for your suggestion. The Holiday Inn seems like the best choice for us. I chec ked out Bayside & although the shops won't be open..fine with me.. there's a Hard Rock Cafe & a Hooters as well as other Dining establishments that stay open til after midnight on the weekends..

Thanks again
Mimi
Old July 3rd, 2003, 02:01 PM
Passenger

We stayed Holiday Inn one night before cruise two weeks ago.
A nice place with port view besides the shortest walking distance to bayside - 1 min.
Old July 6th, 2003, 11:16 PM
First Mate

I always go to the same hotel at Bayside the night before sailing. It is right across the street from Bayside. It's the Best Western. Just walk across the street and you enter Bayside. This is not a motel, actually a hotel and has about 10 floors. Very nice and not your typical Best Western. Each time, I call the hotel direct and ask for the "manager's special". Each time it has been $69.00 (plus tax).

The view from the 5th floor on up is wonderful and you can see the cruise ships coming and going (ask for a seaside view room). The taxis stop at the front door and take you to the pier for about $12.00 on the morning you sail. Even though it's only about 5 blocks to the pier, you couldn't walk it if you wanted, due to traffic.

I saw people taking horse drawn carriage rides right outside this hotel in the evening, but didn't try it. There is a really nice tour of homes of the "rich & famous" on the islands off Bayside via nice pleasure boats (holds about 30 people) and the cost is about $12.00 per adult. This is really nice. Lasts about an hour & they have food and drinks if you want it. I love Bayside. It gets really fun in the evenings, as there is great outdoor music groups intertaining the crowds(free), lots of shops (indoor and out) and restaurants (hard rock cafe and many many others).
Old July 8th, 2003, 02:55 PM
KJF

My2cents: Is this the same one that just switched over to the Holiday Inn? Also, is it safe walking from the Holiday Inn to Bayside at night? We'll have our 1 year old w/ us, so I want to feel completely safe.
Old July 8th, 2003, 05:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Does anyone know if the Holiday Inn used to be the Best Western?

Mimi
Old July 9th, 2003, 06:56 PM
Passenger

Yes. Holiday Inn at bayside used to be Best Western.
Old July 10th, 2003, 12:48 PM
majesticmark

Were staying at Doubletree Biscayne Bay right beside market and ship very affordable.
Old July 10th, 2003, 02:37 PM
Passenger

marriot biscayne is the nicest...doubletree is right next door too...holiday inn isnt as nice..its nod that bad a walk along the water...and you could always catch a cab
Old July 10th, 2003, 03:06 PM
Nita

Hi Mimi......I just wanted to also confirm that the Holiday Inn across from Bayside use to be Best Western. i have reservations there for the 3rd of August (the day b-4 our cruise), and found out that it changed it's name in December, although it was still booking under the Best Western title. For a one night's sleep, you can't go wrong with it, especially with the location convenience. Happy Sailing!
Old July 10th, 2003, 11:01 PM
First Mate

There was a Holiday Inn Hotel just down the street from the Best Western Hotel last summer. Don't see how there could be two Holiday Inns only a half block from each other on the same side of the street.

Call the 1-800 Best Western reservations to find out and make sure you tell them it's the location right across the street from Bayside (that's how it is listed in the description details). Then, don't book w/reservations at the 800 number, ask for the Hotel number and call direct. I saved money this way both times I booked a room there.

This Best Western is a 5 minute walk (tops) from the Hotel door to Bayside. There's a cross walk for pedestrians, so there's no problem crossing with stollers or children.
Old July 11th, 2003, 09:31 AM
Yeoman

We're going to stay at the Holliday Inn Marina in Oct. We have heard you are right at the Market and less than a mile from the ship. Have heard good things about this hotel.

Old July 11th, 2003, 01:18 PM
rgarland

The Holiday Inn Marina Park is the same facility that used to be the Best Western. We stayed there last July before the Victory and are staying there Aug1 before the Explorer this year. I called there and asked just to make sure when I encountered the name change. If you are getting in kind of late this is a great place because you are right across the street from Bayside. On a Friday or saturday night there will be plenty going on....live music, lot's of people, good food ( Bubba Gumps was good), street entertainers. It makes for a good start. the only downside was the breakfast buffet and kind of small pool. Enjoy!
Old July 11th, 2003, 02:22 PM
Yeoman

I heard Holiday Inn Marina Park is now offering free shuttles to port. Any truth to this? That would be great!

Old July 11th, 2003, 03:05 PM
First Mate

Staying at Hyatt for $40/night in August through Priceline.com.

No cars at the port.
Old July 11th, 2003, 05:20 PM
Passenger

Has anyone stayed or heard ANYTHING about the Sheraton Biscayne Bay? We have rooms there for pre cruise night but getting worried since noone is mentioning it ! Is it very far away or something?
help! :O>

vivi
Old July 12th, 2003, 08:02 AM
Cruise Maniac

I have stayed at the Shea5rton on a precruise. It was nice! The food was good. If you go out fron of the hotel to the street and take a right Bayside is a 20 minute walk. A taxi is quicker adn not ver expensive as it is a straight shot. But very nice. The cruise line will pre-register you if you booked through them that am before you hop on the bus-if your transfers were included. If not just hop a cab. It is a nice hotel though!