Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 2nd, 2003, 03:57 PM
Mmketeer

Default Navigator...cabin 8676?

Hi gang,

Well it's about time for my final payment for me for my Sept. cruise, so I decided to go ahead and upgrade now as it looks like the balcony staterooms for my cruise are going fast. Which means unfortunatly their probably won't be any hope for any upgrade to one of these type of rooms at port etc.
So, I am wondering if anyone has had a Cat. D1-8 that has either stayed in this cabin area back/aft (we are now booked in stateroom 8676) or a smiliar one on another deck. I would love to hear any comments or see somone's personal vacation photos of this room type.

Thanks for your help....Mmketeer/Navigator...Sept.20
Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2003, 07:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Navigator...cabin 8676?

WE recently had an aft balcony cabin and I loved it, except for the lack of an additional staircase/elevator, but the walking did me good. Unfortunately I didn't get a good shot of the oversized balcony, but take my word for it, its a good size. We had 2 chairs a table and 2 regular lounge chairs and still plenty of room. I'd say, give it a try, I think you'll enjoy it. Our next cruise is the same type cabin on Voyager, can't wait!

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 3rd, 2003, 01:18 PM
Mmketeer

Default Re: Re: Navigator...cabin 8676?

Hi Donna,

Thanks for replying...can I ask how far back your cabin was? I have heard great things about the really large balconies at the very back of the ship like 7688 and 1688 and all those. Trust me I would have loved to had one of those cabins! They weren't offered to me by my T/A though for the rate I wanted to pay.
But, am I really gonna have a bigger balcony than the mid ship rooms on the side cause mine is in the back, but not the very back. It's like two from the last stateroom on the left hand side. No stairway or elevator back there doesn't bother me either (it's not like I won't need to walk off all the extra food!) !

Thanks again!
Old July 7th, 2003, 07:22 AM
Josie

I am also cruising the Navigator on 9/20. We booked a balcony. i have heard many great things about this ship I hope th eweather is good. We have traveled in October before and it was very windy but sunny. I love cruising and have been on the exploer on our last cruise, this will be # 4 Did you get special airfare.?
Old July 8th, 2003, 01:40 PM
SamIAm

Also sailing on September 20th and looking so forward to it. My TA said the ship is nearly sold out at this point in time and should be 100% occupancy when we sail. I guess that would lower chances of getting an upgrade.

See you on the 20th!!
Old July 8th, 2003, 01:55 PM
Mmketeer

Hi Josie,

Very cool...it seems back in May when I first booked this cruise I was about the only one here sailing on this date! I have sailed DCL way back in 2000 at the end of August right after a hurricane, and it was fine. I am hoping for good weather and high winds sounds like it could poise a problem for all the tendering on this itin., so here's hoping for no hurricanes, bad weather or high winds. <BG> This is my first time sailing RCCL I usually stick with DCL, but have cruised once on Carnival's Fantasy.
You said you sailed last year on the Explorer...which cabin location to you have last year and where will you be on the Navigator? I hope the balcony on this ship will be pretty decent. We did get a great rate on air from Tampa...we are flying for $156.00 RT for two. We booked it ourselves awhile back.
Old July 8th, 2003, 02:10 PM
Mmketeer

Hi SamIAm,

<Cute name> Nice to see someone else here on the forum traveling with me. I was starting to wonder why the ship was getting so booked up and yet I hadn't seen to many posts for folks traveling on this date. I wouldn't doubt it about the 100% occupany thing happen by the time we sail (and I thought I booked a slow cruise month!)

Hubby and I have been checking the website since we booked with our T/a in May too see if the availablity on the rooms on the ship change. I figure if doesn't say "see more options", for a perticular cat. that means that cat. is getting full and if says GTD only, well then it maybe the last cabin available. The site seems to change frequently with a cat. selling out and then coming back (not sure how that works?) But, back on June 26th I tried to get my T/A to upgrade me to a DB cat. from a inside and the DB was gone by the time I got through to her the next day. All she could get was a rate for $899.00pp, so we took deck 8 and now I see the DB is avail. again on a gtd. basis. Go figure....I hate to have my T/A switch us again as we already switch from a N cat. so, I guess we'll just stick with the D8.
Hubby and decided to go ahead and book a balcony now instead of hoping that we could upgrade at the port and now with your post I am even more glad we did.

So, where's your cabin on the ship? You don't have to tell me your stateroom number or cat. or anything...just if your AFT, Midship, or Bow and have you sailed before on the voyager class ship? I am hoping we got a pretty decent cabin as I have never sailed on RCCL before.

Happy Sailings...
Old July 8th, 2003, 02:51 PM
Josie

Default Re: Re: Re: Navigator...cabin 8676?

You will be pleased with your balcony cabin There is room for everything, You will not spend much time in your room but you will wnjoy the balcony in the morning for coffee and in the evening while you are waiting for each other to get ready for dinner, tHERE IS SO MUCH TO DO ON THIS SHIP THAT YOU WONT WANT TO MISS ANY OF IT BE SURE TO SEE THE IC SKATING SHOW THE BEST.
Old July 8th, 2003, 07:34 PM
kody21

Wow, I can't believe our ship is almost full. I though that time of year with kids in school ect. it would be wide open. But, cool, the more the merrier. Just more people to make friends with. We will all have a BLAST. My husband and I have a DB (Balcony) cabin booked on deck 7, cabin #7288. Almost 2 months til we cruise!!!! Yea, C-Ya there!!!
Old July 9th, 2003, 09:52 AM
SamIAm

Hey Mmketeer.

Lots of people cancel their cruise plans at final payment time because they can't make that final payment or realize they have made other committments during that time. So, this week there may be more cabins opening up.

I don't blame you about not switching though. A D8 is a great cabin to have. You will have plenty of room and you'll love the balcony. My hubby and splurged this time and we are in a B Suite. I am really excited about this. Never had a suite before...anywhere! My brother in law and sister in law are traveling with us and I got them into 1388. They have never cruised before and don't even realize how coveted that cabin and cabin 1688 are. So, they are in for a big surprise too!

I have been hanging around over at another bulletin board and there are about 20 people from that board on our sailing. I have also seen your posts at C@, but its easier to post here. I really like this board!!

SamIAm
Old July 9th, 2003, 12:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Sam,
I've got cabin 1388 on Voyager and wold love to hear how it was on Navigator. Please let me know when you return. Enjoy your cabin, its nice to splurge once in awhile :-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 9th, 2003, 01:00 PM
Yeoman

We have to wait until the 11th of Oct. to go on the Navigator! All of you going before us needs to email us when you get back and tell all. We have a DB on deck 7 also.

Old July 9th, 2003, 01:07 PM
First Mate

Cruisequeen,

We will be on the Navigator 9/27, also DB deck 7 balcony cabin. I will tell you all about it! I can't wait, this is 4th cruise, but our first Mega Ship!

Royal Caribbean - Navigator of the Seas - 9/27/2003
Old July 9th, 2003, 01:36 PM
Mmketeer

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Navigator...cabin 8676?

Hi Josie,

Good to hear..some cruiseline balconies are tiny and you just never know. Yeah, I have heard great things about the ice skating show so I'll be waiting in line in the am for tickets on the second day. Cause' I am sure the day at sea days go first and that's of course when I would like to go. Will I see you in line with me that morning? <BG>

Mmketeer....Sept, 20
Old July 9th, 2003, 01:44 PM
Mmketeer

Hi Kody21,

We tried to book the DB, but I am glad we got the the D8 now. I am sure it will be worth the extra $50.00pp. We first looked at the DB cause it was gonna be a big price jump to upgrade from the N cat. (to almost any better rooms anyway )and we were really wanting to get the cheapest balcony we could find. But, I am sure you saw in my earlier post what happened. It would be interesting to see what the differences in the DB cabin really is cause my budget will not allow me to book this type of cabin again. So, I hope you take lots of pictures of your stateroom and balcony so we can share photos. <BG> My next RCCL trip on a Voyager class will need to be in a DB or lower.

Almost ready....Mmketeer
Old July 9th, 2003, 02:15 PM
Mmketeer

Hi SamIAm,

....Sorry this is so long....
Oh my goodness....I am SO jealous! That's excatly the two staterooms I would have love to have booked! I saw someone else's website that had photos of cabin 1688...that balcony is HUGE! Plus, I love the fact that's kinda of covered. Well, at least I know what cat. that is now cause the colors on the RCCL are a bit misleading. I couldn't figure out what cat. it was to even see a price through RCCL site, cause the color of the cabin in my book is light purple (which to me says D1). This clears up a lot and I will mark that it's a B /Grand Oceanview Suite on my book so I know. Hey, you never know...someday... I am trying to learn RCCL it's been a bit difficult as I am so use to only dealing with two ships on DCL and RCCL has so many different types of fleets. Besides this ship itself is huge...much larger than any I have ever sailed on.

Gosh, your really gonna love that suite and I hear that you get preferred treatment at check-in too? Your B-n-L and S-n-L are gonna be so spoiled with their stateroom and being their first cruise, why they will really won't know how good they got it until they book another cruise (unless they happen to see into someone else cabin of course. )
You know my first time is usually the best time and nothing ever seems to compare after that and I am sure they will feel the same way and I hoping that will be true for my first RCCL cruise too! <BG>

20 other people huh? Wow, maybe this thing will sell out. Oh well, I'll keep checking to see who's canceled what...it'll be fun to see what if ANY cabins are left avail. by our sail date and the folks canceling because full payment is due makes perfect sense to me. I don't know why I didn't think of that...I know my final is due by this weekend! Thank goodness I decided to go ahead and upgrade now, because I also just realized this is the last least expensive sail date avail for this year!

........"I have also seen your posts at C@, but its easier to post here. I really like this board!!".......... I have to agree with you, this one and the other one were the only two RCLL boards that I could find though and I didn't know which one of these boards would have folks with more experince....so, far it's definitly been this one. I could tell ya where to go to get DCL information and the best forum though to visit. !

Thanks for easing my fears on my cabin...Can I come hang out with you at your cabin though!! Just kidding.....I hope you take lots of pictures and post your first "Suite" or should I say "sweet" experince cause I would love to read about it.

PS
If you have any tips you would like to share feel free and post away.
Like I am expecting the Ice Show on the Day at Sea Days to be the first to sell out...am I right?

Thanks again....almost ready for Sept.20th! Mmketeer
Old July 9th, 2003, 02:24 PM
Mmketeer

Hi Kodi21,

Oh sorry forgot ot post the rest to you got so carried away with the cabin thing....
You know that's what I though too!!! <BG> Boy were we wrong!! I have read lots of trip reports where they say they had no problem though being on a full ship with the Voyager classes. I guess it's becuase the ship is just so huge and spread out. I am assuming besides the shows, formal dining or the pool area you won't notice lots of people crowded into one area either. So, I'll go for the "more the merrier" thing too. <BG>
I am so excited....I keep checking for more trip reports, but it seems some folks are slow to post.
See ya on board!...
Old July 9th, 2003, 03:00 PM
SamIAm

Hey Mmketeer...the Cabin 1388 is a D1. My in laws didn't want to get a suite since we already had one. They probably figure they can just hang out in our cabin! Ha. But they have the better balcony.

My Hubby and I have the B - 1298!
Old July 9th, 2003, 03:10 PM
SamIAm

Oh and your question about the ice show...well honestly, I plan to try to get tickets for that the day we are in Jamaica. I have nothing planned for Jamaica and at the most, I might walk down to the Island Village and Jimmy Buffet's. My husband and I have cruised before and we have done a lot of shore excursions...honestly, most of them over-promise and under-deliver. That is just my opinion though!! So, we decided to skip the excursions this time and just fly by the seat of our pants or just do nothing. That is part of the reason we chose the Navigator -- Lots to do on board in case we decide not to even leave the ship.

I sailed the Voyager in 2000 and it was fine. Full ship and not one crowd, except at the buffets and the tender lines. But honestly, a few coco-locos and who cares about the lines. :-)
Old July 9th, 2003, 03:23 PM
SamIAm

I just checked Travelocity and checked the openings for B Suites, C Suites and the A Suites. There are quite a few available in each category. You can check this pretty easily through Travelocity and as the date gets closer, I will check again. There may be a few of these suites open at that time, which could lead to lots of upgrades at the pier.
Old July 10th, 2003, 09:58 AM
kody21

I am getting psyched!!! I don't know how good or bad my DB cabin will be on deck #7, but I am there to have fun and meet great people. This is my husbands and my first time on RCCL. Been on Carnival, had fun, but not real impressed. As far as us bookinga a DB we have had a balcony before on Carnival and said we would always want one now. We booked in Dec or Jan (I can't remember) and I know they were offering some kind of a special. I believe it was to pay for a catigory F and get a DB. Not really sure though. Any way, it is all about the cruise and having fun. I am not worried if it is full or empty, I know that everyone wants to have fun, relax, watch shows, meet new friends, which makes it fun. I am just hoping for good weather, hoever, I know we can't controll that, so, we will bring our good attitude and have a blast, no matter what!!!

C-Ya there!!!
Old July 10th, 2003, 10:34 AM
SamIAm

Kody;

You got the right attitude to cruise. I am sure the weather will be fine, especially if you like humidity! The Caribbean is pretty humid that time of year. Your DB cabin will be great, just wait and see. I booked our cruise last December too and this September seemed like light years away. Now we are down to like 70 days...barely enough time to pack huh!

See you onboard.

Sam
Old July 11th, 2003, 10:03 AM
kody21

Sam,

I don't mind humidity, I use to live in Miami. I do believe in having a good attitude otherwise any little thing that goes wrong seems worse than it is. You know what I mean. Have you ever gone to one of those small towns and walked down the street when everyone says good morning or hello? You know how it puts everyone in a good mood, that's what I like to try to do. Don't get me wrong, I have bad days too, but life is short and I want as many good days as I can. I would hate to leave a vacation complaining about everything, and complaining about things you can't control makes no sense.

Any way, I hope we all get a chance to say hey and I know everyone will have fun!!! My husband and I are psyched!!! I keep thinking it's really not that far away right now. YEAAAAA!!!!

C-Ya on board!!!
Old July 11th, 2003, 10:24 AM
Mmketeer

Hi SamIAm,

Oh okay, I understand now...I am sure they probably will hang out with you in your cabin as you should have plenty of room. Ya'll just have to move the balcony parties to their stateroom!<BG> But, seriously with all that extra money your paying for a suite and with the larger square footage is your balcony really gonna be that much smaller? I really would be curious to know what you thought of your suite when you get back. <BG> Did you really book your crusie way back in Dec '02? I don't know how you could satnd the suspense for that length of time...I'd go crazy! But. I guess it's a little easier to wait when you been there done that before. At least now I know when I'll need to book to get those back to D1 cabins!!

Hubby and I don't plan on getting of the ship or doing any too many excursions either, cause I agree with you whole heartedly. We won't even do Laberdee or Mexico other than getting off the ship just say we were there. When you live near Clearwater Beach and are a Floridan the beach just isn't a neccesity..ya know. However we did decided to do at least one toursity thing..we are doing the swiming with the Stingrays excursion. And, in Jamaica we are also gonna visit Jimmy Buffets so I can add to my growing collection of his stuff from different cities and then we are going to Sandals for the day. Sandals has a day pass you can purcahse, so I figure it will be a great way to check out the resort without spending alot of money. Wanna come with?<BG> But, that's the only day we are spending off the boat for any length of time, that's why we too picked this ship with all it's ammenities. <BG>

To be continued...before the AOL logs me off for inactivity...
Old July 11th, 2003, 10:38 AM
Mmketeer

Default Re: Re: Re: Navigator...cabin 8676?

Hi SamIAm,

Continue....sorry for all the misspelled words no time to re-read post for corrections before posting cause I had written almost all of this to you yesterday and the darn internet logged me off and I lost the whole thing! Very frusterating when you've typed something for 30min. you know. So, this time I am typing faster, hence more mistakes and not taking extra time to check post either cause I've been logged off doing that too.

Anyway,
Maybe I should plan on doing the Ice Show in Laberdee or Mexico then? I would like to get it off the list of things to do as soon as possiable though and I thought about doing it on the first Day at Sea day, but I guess I should have a back up plan. We are at the first seating so I don't know how that'l fit into the Ice Show schedule either.

I'll keep checking to see what's available...I haven't tried Travel Velocity so I'll cehck that one too..I have just been checking RCCL's direct website. I keep waiting for the day for it to show no cabins avail. in a certain cat. cause' I am guessing that will happen. Maybe not...will be interesting to see! I see their are lots of "C" cat. available which is a good thing cause that's probably all we could afford to upgrade to at the pier, but I am not sure other than a bathtub how much diff. it would actually have over our D8.

Well, I am now paid in full! No turning back now after Saturday!!

>>>>>>>>>"I sailed the Voyager in 2000 and it was fine. Full ship and not one crowd, except at the buffets and the tender lines. But honestly, a few coco-locos and who cares about the lines. :-)"<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< I heard that!! I have also heard others say they have sailed on a voyager class ship say you really can't tell when it's at a 100% capacity like you can with the smaller ships. That'll be a good thing as it sounds like our ship won't be empty that's for sure!!
Old July 11th, 2003, 11:46 AM
SamIAm

Mmketteer...AOL really stinks sometimes. I cuts me off a lot too. Geez, take a minute to change a load of laudry and all of a sudden you hear GOODBYE. Arrggh.

Well let's see if I can answer your questions. I am sure my in laws will be hanging out with us in the suite occassionally, but I will probably kick them out and tell them to get back to their own cabin. ;-) I do want to do the sail away from their cabin and I am packing a bottle of champagne for that and some cute plastic glasses. Feel free to stop by our cabin 1298 to check it out for yourself. I would love to meet you after all this conversing we are doing. My email address is above if you would like to introduce yourself more formally.

We also are going to check out Island Village in Jamaica, which includes Jimmy Buffet's. My sister in law is a parrotthead and loves that guy, so we will be there anyway. Maybe we'll see you there if we get a chance to meet up before hand. I really want to pick up some Jablum (jamaican blue mountain coffee).

As far as upgrading, I think a D8 is fine. I really wouldn't spend the extra money to upgrade at this point. As long as you have a balcony already...why bother! Unless you really like to take a bath? My husband and I chose the B suite this time cause we had planned on bringing our two kids, until grandma & grandpa offered to stay with them. Then we said we would step down to a D1 or C, but by that time, we were already "spoiled" by the thought of the suite. So, we have been eating beans out of a can for the last six months...just kidding.

In Grand Cayman we may do one of the Stingray City tours, but my sister in law can't swim, so we have to be careful we don't "leave her out of the picture" too much. She can paddle around in a pool, but has no real decent swimming skills and its intimidating for her to be in such a big body of water.

We are definitely doing Labadee. I like the idea of "no locals" except in the marketplace, which I will steer clear of. I have enough crap to dust around my house, don't need any more mementos.

Well, I think I covered everything. Like I said, feel free to contact me at my AOL address and I will be happy to let you take a "tour" of our B Suite. I think the balcony is sort of long, but not very deep. Whereas the 1388 D1 is deep, but not very long and it is partially covered.
Old July 11th, 2003, 07:08 PM
Mmketeer

Hi SamIAm,

Oh...thank goodness another AOL user that feels may pain and frustration!!
I don't blame you for kicking them out of your cabin. I think hubby and I have only been able to sail twice by ourselves, so I know excatly what it's like to sail with freinds and family. It seems everytime we say we're going they say, " oh we want to go too! " ! The bottle of champagne to celebrate is a very nice gesture though and I am sure they will be happily surprised.

You know I am sure your right, we will be very happy with the D8 and were aren't gonna upgrade. You've got a great point and bath tub isn't gonna be that big of a necc. besides the eating beans thing wouldn't be a joke for us. We unfortunatly do have to pay to have someone take our kids (we have two Boston Terriers...www.mybostonsonline.com). Unless you think your kids and their grandparents want to babysit. Just kidding! But, honestly for what we have to pay to have them kept we could have payed to have them cruise with us!! Yes, your advice makes perfect sense and we will def. just stick with the D8. Thanks again for easing my fears on our cabin!

...Ops sorry, Big Brother is on gotta run type more later!

PS
Thank you that was a very nice offer on your stateroom visit and I wil probably take you up on that! <BG>
Old July 15th, 2003, 06:53 PM
Mmketeer

Hi Sept.20 Navigator cruisemates,

Well gang as of Saturday I am now paid in full and awaiting departure date! Don't worry I'll post when we hit the 60 day out mark which is coming up shortley! 60 days from today is only Sept 13th....but, our time is coming up soon!

Mmketeer
Old July 16th, 2003, 09:18 AM
SamIAm

Mmketeer...I think when that 60 day mark hits, I'll drag the suitcases out and start putting in small things I want to take that I don't use on a daily basis. My husband thinks I am a bit crazy, but hey what the heck?

Can't wait to be on board the Navigator!! I go to a work-out place called Curves and a lady I work out with leaves in two weeks for the Navigator. Geez, I can't for her to get back so I can grill her about all the details!!
Old July 16th, 2003, 01:31 PM
Josie

Hope to meet all of you . Maybe a day at sea we should set up a meeting by the pool.