Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 31st, 2003, 10:26 AM
James Ball

Default Cruise Related Gifts

We're finally talked another couple into cruising with us next fall. We're taking NOS on it's Western Caribbean route. These people are so hard to shop for on birthdays and holidays. Is there anything cruise related that would be an appropriate gift? Snorkel gear, binoculars, etc?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

James
Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2003, 11:15 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Cruise Related Gifts

Hi James,
You did mention a few good ideas, I'll also add a shipboard credit as a possibility. The travel agent should be able to get that going. Plus, they can use it for anything while cruising.....just a thought.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 31st, 2003, 03:24 PM
Browezilla

Small lightweight backpack is nice. Also small duffle bags that collapse to almost nothing. They are great to put in the suitcase collapsed, to then bring home with T shirts and other souveniers.

For a great, and free, gift, build them a Bookmarks page of cruise related websites, pictures, reviews, etc. Include travel sites that will also highlight the destinations they will visit. You could also include the stds such as Fodors, Frommers, etc. Order it by which you think are the best! This will help build the excitement for the trip, however expect to invest some serious time in pulling together all of the links if you really review them for good vs just another web site :-)

Cheers,
Bily
Old July 31st, 2003, 03:36 PM
James Ball

Thanks a bunch!

Donna - We're fortunate in that our TA gave us Shipboard credit to start with. I'm looking for items that they may not think about. This is a first cruise for all of us!

Bily - Great idea with the backback/bag. As for the website. That's how I got them convinced to go on this thing to begin with. I'm a web developer and set up quite a large area as a "trip scratchpad" for them to browse. Another great idea though!

Anyone think that waterproof bags or locks would be helpful? What do most of you do with cameras and personal items while swimming at the beach?
Old July 31st, 2003, 04:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Cruise Related Gifts

Hi James,
THe waterproof bags may come in handy, although I'd suggest just bring along a disposable camera when going to the beach or something like that, save the good camera for a tour where you don't have to leave un-locked. We've found the disposable underwater cameras work well with a trip to the beach, especially if there are no lockers. You can get waterproof containers to hold your cash/sign-sail cards and keep them with you, thats something you can try to find, although they do sell those once onboard.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 1st, 2003, 04:20 PM
jlynd

We got our waterproof pouch at Sport's Authority for $1.99 - holds ship card, credit card, cash and a copy of passport but is small enough to tuck into my swimsuit while snorkeling.

A few years ago I gave my daughter a cruising Easter Basket full of small items - here are the items that I can remember - disposable underwater camera, journal, flipflops, lip gloss, sunscreen, photoframe with a tropical theme, photo album with a tropical cover, and of course - tropical flavored jelly beans (it was an Easter Basket after all).

I hope this helps!
Old August 2nd, 2003, 09:53 AM
Mary Martin

We usually get the people who cruise with us a gift, and I came upon an idea of us all wearing matching T-shirts. I found a website that has some really nice Cruise T-shirts I think they are $14.95 each. Go to their store on http://www.cruise-addicts.com to purchase these. I believe they come in Med-3X they only have one color right now though royal blue. Check them out.
Happy sailing,
mmarti18
Old August 2nd, 2003, 03:04 PM
LYDELL @ BILLIE DAUSTER

One thing we have done they might appreciate is a small set of 2 way frs radios from walmart. Good to keep in communication in airports, ships and on the shore.
Old August 2nd, 2003, 11:26 PM
Passenger

You can get a free water proof wallet will you buy Whaler's Rum. It's on the bottle. Good luck! pcurbow
Old August 3rd, 2003, 02:37 PM
Browezilla

Other items that I like to have on a trip are:
A waterproof watch. Great for all of the water activities
A thin dive shirt (kind of like a biking shirt). Helps to ward off the chills in the water
CD Player & CDs (or better yet, a DVD player, but these are about $300)
Prepaid Calling cards
Ballcap of a hometown team or university
National Geographic Traveler (a great magazine)
Chapstick with SPF
Waist pouch (aka fanny pack).

BTW: I'm on the NoS this fall doing a W. Carib. What's your sailing date?
Old August 4th, 2003, 10:38 AM
James Ball

Again, thanks everyone. These are all great ideas. Keep them coming!

I had thought of the radios. I actually have a pair that I could get a couple more of.

Browezilla .... unfortunately we're not sailing until next September (9/18/2004). I hope you have a great time. I'll be interested to hear how the weather was along witht he rest fo your trip. I guess I figure that even if the weather is bad ... I'll be on a huge floating resort, with my best friends, cocktails, and unlimited food. Couldn't be that bad could it? :-)
Old August 4th, 2003, 02:57 PM
browezilla

...rain poncho or very thin windbreaker. Nights on the water can be cool and occasional showers do happen.