Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 31st, 2003, 11:45 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to SRobinM
Default Anyone nervous...

Is anyone nervous at all about these hijacking warnings that have come out in the last few days? I am flying out of Reagan National on 9/1....almost 2 years to the day of the tragic event. I'm flying back into Reagan on 9/7. On 9/9/01 I flew over the Pentagon for the last time coming home from visiting my parents. I had a window seat and watched it as we went over. I'll never forget that view. Since then all the flight paterns have changed an no planes fly over the Pentagon anymore. I am lucky that I am flying on a monday morning so I technicly could take a train to Florida or drive, but maybe I'm overreacting. I live less than a mile from DC... Any words of calm?
Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2003, 12:35 PM
AN

Default Re: Anyone nervous...

I was a little nervous as well. I will be flying out of New York into Miami for the sailing of the Voyager of the Seas on 8/31. But then I realized that you cannot allow fear to rule your life. If you do then you won't be able to do anything. Besides, (GOD forbid) you can be riding in a car and get killed or get attacked by someone just as easily. We don't think about that because the media focus only on acts of terriorisim lately.

One thing that we are definitely guranteed in life is that we all will eventually cross the other side one day. That is immenient. Until then we cannot consume ourselves with fear. Continue to live your life, travel and do the things that you like to do. Most importantly walk with JESUS. Just tell HIM your concerns, pray for your safety and have the faith to leave everything to HIM knowing that HE will continually keep you and your loved ones safe. Don't worry, you will be fine. I'll even put in a prayer tonight on your behalf.

Happy travels
GOD bless
Old July 31st, 2003, 02:22 PM
Admiral

nope......

Old July 31st, 2003, 04:24 PM
Kar06

I really am not...sure the threat is there, but honestly, what are the chances. There are tons of other tragic things that could happen to you too. Heh.

But really, I wouldn't worry. People, especially the media will jump on any topic to cause controversy. I seriously cannot stand watching the news anymore, everyone seems to overreact and over-dramatize every little (usually stupid) things!
Old August 2nd, 2003, 01:36 AM
Passenger

To those of you who have responded no... you haven't suggested a reason why you aren't concerned, especially to those of us who live directly in terrorist affected areas of the country. I find this quite distessing that almost 2 years can pass and people may seem to forget the tragedy that occured when the threat warning level has not dropped. Perhaps only because I was close enough to see it from my yard. Perhaps it is nothing but a media hoax to you, but for us who saw it in 3D, up close and personal... it was very real. I have a close friend who spent days recovering bodies at the Pentagon. I had friends who had to turn off their AC and seal their vents for the smell of carnage because they lived too close and the smell of smoke was overwhealming them. We should not forget. We can never forget what happened that day. Or perhaps myself... for that moment when I heard that anouncement on the radio of the plane headed up the potomac...radio silence...traffic...sirens... and my call from my dad that says "you need to go home don't cross the bridge just get out of the city..."...dead line...smoke in the sky.... My family has been here since pre Revolutionary War. We have supported this country through everything that it has stood for. We will never forget anything that it stands for. I am very concerned when there is any threat. Not a second goes by when an airplane passes over my roof going to the airport that I don't think it might be the one. I stil jump every time I hear a siren. You say what are the chances, but that chance sent my boyfriend's sister to 4 funerals and my sister half a state away to 1. That's closer to 7 degrees than I ever want to get again. I want to have faith in God and our goverment to protect me. That's why I vote every election day. I just feel it's important to talk about how I feel...you all have a right to your opinion... but please before you come on and say you don't care.. back it up.
Old August 2nd, 2003, 01:37 AM
Passenger

p.s. Sorry for the little soapbox.... just a passionate issue... and I really am nearvous... can't you tell... i promise won't happen again... at least i'll try...
Old August 2nd, 2003, 06:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

Not nervous at all. Flying is always the safest way to go as everyone knows, and has been much safer since 9/11. What I do fear is driving down Interstate 95 during rush hour. yikesss

Jay
Old August 2nd, 2003, 07:40 AM
Kar06

I live right outside NYC and go there often, so I don't live far from it either. But I'm not going to let something that has a small chance of happening ruin my passion: TRAVELING!

I want to go everywhere. I can't wait to study abroad in 2 yrs. I will probably go somehwere in Europe...but my dream is to travel and explore Africa.

You can live your life scared, or you can get on with it. If something happens so be it. It is a tradgedy, no question about that, but living life scared sucks.
Old August 2nd, 2003, 08:46 AM
Mary Martin

I'm not nervous about flying BECAUSE I know who holds my future. I think that's what alot of people my be trying to say. Yes, what happened almost two years ago is a tragedy in fact I was in the air on my way to Florida the day it happened. I know the threat of it happening again is VERY real, but as the others have said we can't live in a constant state of fear. That's part of what the terrorists want is for us to be fearful. I kind of have the attitude if it's my time to go then I'll no matter where I am. Personally I feel closer to God when I'm in the air, it seems like HIS glory is shining through the clouds.
I always lay a hand on the plane before I leave and ask God to undergird us with angels wings and grant all of us traveling safety, then I leave it in HIS very capable hands. Of course God does say to use wisdom in everything, that's why I'm sticking with cruising the ports closer to home. I hope this helps you.
God Bless,
Happy cruising,
Mary
Old August 2nd, 2003, 01:21 PM
AR

Default Re: Re: Anyone nervous...

SRobinM:

OK, well I live maybe two or three miles from you, over near Chain Bridge. On 9/11 my wife was in an office building four blocks from the White House, and one son was working out in the NYU gym before going to work in lower Manhattan. The other son is an airline pilot for one of the airlines involved in 9/11. Does that qualify me as sombody who is as aware as you of the impact of that horrible day? I think it does.

Has it stopped me traveling to and from DCA or any other airport? Absolutely not. Latest of many trips from there since 9/11 was two weeks ago. Never gave it a second thought.

Have you analzyed the latest threat scenario as described by the government? They're looking for people who transit US airports without a visa because they're arriving on an international flight and connecting to another international flight. The newsies are calling this a "loophole" in security measures, but the fact is that transit passengers have been dealt with in this way all over the world since time immemorial (that is, no visa required). In any event, DCA would be a minor venue for this particular situation because as you probably know it is not fundamentally an international airport. With a few exceptions it is a short-to-medium haul airport.

But besides all that, you probably run as much risk staying at home next door to the Pentagon as you do getting on a plane at National. Maybe more. But hey, if you're spooked, take the train. But you know, the Bushies want to bag the Amtrak subsidies this summer, so maybe by September there won't be any trains. And, of course, most of the airlines are in or near bankruptcy, so you never know. You may have to take a bus.

AR
Old August 2nd, 2003, 01:26 PM
Yeoman

NOPE....ever actually read mortality research on how we die? From car accidents to bee sting reactions we die in pretty large numbers every day so enjoy the days you have here, Robbie
Old August 2nd, 2003, 03:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Chances of dying in a plane crash- 1 in 400,000

Chances of dying in a car crash- 1 in 6,212

That should make you feel better if you are worried about flying these days...at least I hope it does.
Old August 2nd, 2003, 10:59 PM
Passenger

Jay12 has it right. the chance of dying in an automobile crash is way higher than getting on a plane. I am flying from Detroit to Miami in Feb, 2004. I am more scared of the weather. That is why we are going down the day before. Dont worry, be happy.
Old August 3rd, 2003, 06:30 AM
Cruise Maniac

SRobinM.....

Your comment that "perhaps 9/11 was just a media hoax to us all" is kind of insulting to all of us that witnessed what happened on that day, be it on TV or on the streets watching it up close. It affected us all.

Jay
Old August 3rd, 2003, 07:59 PM
Passenger

I just wanted to respond as several of the comments have been directed at me personally. As I did initiate the post that's to be expected. I do not feel I am the only one who feels the way I do... (as from a previous post someone did agree that they still feel nervous about traveling) I do feel I may need to clarify that I don't live the life of a hermit because of the things that have happened. Obviously if I planned a trip, then I am not affraid to go somewhere. I have also made several other trips since 9/11 (wheras I do know people who still will not travel...maybe I'm the only person who knows such extreme people...but I doubt it...). I appreciate all of your opinions and I feel you all have a right to them. I do get up every day and go to my job downtown, and send my boyfriend of 5 years, off to his office that is the building directly behind the White House on Penn. Ave. and I don't have a panic attack every time I do it. I just felt that some of the posts were not very expressive of why they felt there was no concern and I wanted to know why. If Jay would like to reread my post he may find i said that perhaps some people feel that the things on the news are a media hoax... to clarify what I mean is that a lot of people have expressed (not necessarily here) that the things reported by the gov't and media are fabricated or exadgerated, for example the report of the new recording that was released...some people are very skeptical and that is frustrating to me. Especially after talking to people in the armed forces who tell horror stories of what is going on in Afghanistan still now, that isn't even reported in the news. I was not refering to the event of 9/11 itself. I hope that clarifies some. I hope I haven't rubbed anyone the wrong way as I was just trying to express myself and talk about some of my travel nerves. This is a very touchy subject and we all had our own experiences that day that made it what it is to us. We all have to deal with it our own way.
Old August 4th, 2003, 08:31 AM
Admiral

I'll never forget that day. There was not a lot of work at my factory, most people sitting at their positions doing crossword puzzles. So I, being the chief quality technician at the end of the line, having even less to do than the folks upstream from me, went outside for a little fresh air. I was listening to a morning radio show on my walkman when the DJ said that they (he and his 2 partners) had been following something on CNN.

The news person broke in and said that a plane had crashed into the WTC. They were still waiting for details. I mentioned it to someone as I went back into the plant. I had a sick feeling about it, thinking about the '93 incident. The DJs were commenting out loud as they watched CNN. Suddenly one of them said, "What's that plane doing...Oh my God! Was that a replay or was it another plane?"

The TVs in the meeting area which were usually used for management addresses to the workforce, cyclically showed CNN. More and more people were hearing about it and gathering in view of those TVs. I told a co-worker friend of mine, a Vietnam Vet, "I think we're watching our generation's Pearl Harbor."

Our plant was located directly East of the airport and slightly south of the glide slope.
A few of us went outside when we heard the FAA had closed our airspace. Out as far as we could see to the East, the landing lights of planes could be seen as they lined up two by two, one for each runway. To the North and South, other planes could be seen approaching to join the line on final approach. They were spaced about a minute apart. When no more planes could be seen, we went back inside.

Some of us went outside later to eat lunch. As we sat there eating and discussing the events in NY, DC, and PA. All converasation stopped, when we heard the engine of a small plane. All heads looked up as nervous eyes trained on the little noisy speck growing larger. It was coming from the SE on the slope for the landing practice runway at the airport.

Apparently the plane was airborne when the airlanes closed and searching for an airport with room to accommodate him. It was the last plane we would see that week, until airspace opened again. And for the rest of the week, I remember feeling angry.

I can still feel the clench of my jaw that week. It's the same anger that returns every time I see images of the contemptible day when my countrymen were turned into refugees on the Brooklyn Bridge, even though the events happened hundreds of miles from where I live. Those were my red, white, and blue brothers and sisters who died and were displaced that day.

AND NO SELF-RIGHTEOUS PSYHCO, SINGULAR OR PLURAL, WILL STOP ME FROM PURSUING MY LIFE!

Steve

Until Enchantment.
Until Inspiration
Sensation 2/03
Old August 4th, 2003, 09:57 AM
Delores

Robin, No matter where we all live, our lives were changed that day. I live in Calif. My husband & 11 other family members just returned safely from a family reunion in Arkansas. Yes, they all flew. I'm not crazy about flying, either, but you have to trust in the Lord. He did not give us a spirit of fear. Put your trip in His hands, & have a good time.
Old August 4th, 2003, 04:00 PM
First Mate

I am one of those who had to seal my vents from the smells downtown. I don't care how many laws the government passes or how many ridiculously stupid inconveniences they come up with to call 'security' at the airports. They mean nothing. In my mind there is one thing that gives me peice of mind when I fly.

250 million angry Americans waiting to get there hands on one of these guys!

There is not a plane load of people in this country that will allow a terrorist anywhere near the pilot. Anyone on a plane that tries anything will be beaten beyond recognition before he/she tries anything. I know I would not be stopped until the person was extremely 'uncomfortable' and praying for death. No point in attempting a vacation if you are living in fear. The fear will not stay in the house waiting for your return, it will travel with you. The skies will never be safer than they are right now.

The best revenge is living without fear. Take a few deep breaths, clear your mind and think happy cruising thoughts. Have a cocktail and enjoy your flight and your cruise.

JAG
Old August 5th, 2003, 11:05 PM
SusanBratwurst

JAG and Steve....very well said, and my sentiments exactly!

To answer the initial question. I am not nervous about flying (partially because I fly an average of 4 times a month and have done this for 6 years....the fear was surfaced during my first few flights after 9/11 but has since been replaced)

What it has been replaced with is AWARENESS and the thought is in the back of my mind always. This AWARENESS and the awareness that I know exists in my fellow passengers is somehow comforting. Is this a defense mechanism and a false sense of security? Maybe...but whatever it is, it works for me.
Old August 6th, 2003, 12:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Its ok to be nervous...when you think about it flying is kind of a scary thing. The problem is when we allow lives to be altered by fear. I dont like to fly...who does? But my flight is going to take me to THE VOYAGER OF THE SEAS in Miami and I am not going to let what could or could not happen stop me from getting to that ship and my vacation. If we let fear stop us the terrorists win! Go and enjoy your life and be happy.

Bill
Old August 6th, 2003, 11:06 PM
AR

Who likes to fly?

I do. I've been doing it regularly for 40 years, from the kinder, gentler days when we all wore coats and ties, had lots more legroom, and when it was OK to refer to the lady as "stewardess."

Now, even though many people board looking like slobs, and even though your knees are often pressed up against your chin, and even though negotiating the security system is unpleasant and time-consuming, I still love to fly.

I still marvel at the freedom flyling gives us to see the world, I'm still amazed that those big hulking things can cruise so gracefully through the skies, I'm still impressed by the overall professionalism and dedication of flight crews, and I still smile at the lady I'm no longer allowed to call "stewardess." I smile at the male flight attendants too.

I love the smell of coffee on early morning flights, and I like to relax with a drink and watch the sunset in the evening. I did that for 38 years before 9/11, I've done it for two more years since, and I hope I'll be doing it for many more years to come.

It's fashionable to be jaded, or scared, or bored, or whatever about flying. I'm not. I almost always look forward to it. It has enriched me.

AR
Old August 8th, 2003, 11:30 AM
First Mate

I love to fly as well. I really should have been a pilot. I feel badly for people who allow fear to overpower the feeling of awe when they fly or look at tall buildings. Part of the draw of cruising to me is just to be around these marvels of engineering. Even though I travel fairly often, I always get a special child-like excited feeling being around an airport or pier. I have an obscure quote from a movie that sums it up pretty well:

The whole world's asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. Only a few people are awake. And they live in a state of constant total wonder.

If you don't live your life, you waste it and you punish yourself and those around you.

AR... Isn't it cool to be awake?!

ps If anyone can guess the movie this came from I would be extremely impressed. here is the original quote:

"My father says almost the whole world's asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says only a few people are awake. And they live in a state of constant total amazement."

Old August 8th, 2003, 11:48 AM
AR

Well, my first guess would be E.T.

Whether that's correct or not, it's a great line.

AR
Old August 8th, 2003, 11:53 AM
AR

And my second guess would be Close Encounters.
Old August 8th, 2003, 01:03 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Anyone nervous...

Not E.T. or Close Encounters. Hint: Not a huge hit movie... Father from quote played by Lloyd Bridges

Old August 8th, 2003, 01:11 PM
hcat

Live in NY, lost friends 9-11.....Nervous yes, paralyzed NO!
Old August 8th, 2003, 02:05 PM
Passenger

I am from NY and live in CT
My friends lost relatives in the 911 tragedy two years ago.
Nervous ? - no.
Excited to be going on the "Serenade of the Seas on 9/11/03 - YES !

The reason I do not fly is because I hate long lines, cancelations and being herded like cattle. NOT because I am scared I will get hurt. I will take a train to the NewYork pier from where the Serenade leaves 9/11. I figure I have a better chance of being hit by lightening then I do of running into terrorist activity on my vacation. I go by the odds.

Fear not. Have faith. Work hard. Enjoy life.

Regards,
Jakevs
Old August 8th, 2003, 02:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Jasonalec....

The quote is from JOE VS THE VOLCANO
Old August 8th, 2003, 07:19 PM
First Mate

Good pickup Jay

21 Days!!!