Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 4th, 2003, 06:13 PM
johnson

Default Jamica and drugs

Forgive me if this question as already been ask. Going on a cruise and Jamica is one of the stops. I might buy a small amount of hash or pot for personal use. Does the ship check for drugs when boarding back on the ship?
Sponsored Links
Old August 4th, 2003, 06:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: Jamica and drugs

BAD IDEA!!! In Jamaica (as well as other spots) the locals have been known to sell drugs to the tourists, and then turn them into the local police.
At the pier, on your way back to the ship, you could also run into police with drug sniffing dogs.
Not sure you want your vacation to end in a Jamaican jail!

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old August 4th, 2003, 07:38 PM
Admiral

kuki is very much right about drugs being a BAD IDEA. If you can't live without it for a few days, don't go. If you should be caught in Jamaica it wouldn't be like at home where they bend over backwards to see that you have your " rights ".
But, in the end I guess it will boil down to just how lucky do you feel?
Old August 5th, 2003, 09:05 AM
Admiral

VERY stupid idea. You do stand a decent chance of being caught and imprisoned in Jamacia. Almost every time we have been there we have either seen ourselves or heard of some idiot that was caught. Jamacian prisons and jails are not like your local lock-up with good food, and clean beds. They are dangerous holes in the wall that are a living hell. Enjoy your cruise and forget about drugs.
Jim

PS Also, it is a violation of the TOS to encourage illegal/criminal activity

Old August 5th, 2003, 09:09 AM
SamIAm

I am hoping that this question is just someone's idea of a joke. Please tell me that nobody would be so reckless as to try to buy drugs in a foreign country.....did you want to see your family again??

I agree with everyone above...BAD IDEA!!
Old August 5th, 2003, 09:51 AM
Alta

I say great idea. (It also proved Darwin's theory of natural selection). Just make sure your finances and estate are in order before you leave.

But, please instruct your family and friends NOT to waste the time and energy of our govenment officials with interceeding on your behalf if you are caught and imprisoned. I pay too much in taxes already.
Old August 5th, 2003, 12:30 PM
Admiral

Whatever you buy would not just be for your personal use. It sounds like great entertainment for other passengers.

Just think! They've been on a cruise, foregoing their guilty pleasure of watching "Cops." And a passenger volunteers to bring them a live reality show, by attempting to bring contraband aboard, in a foreign port.

It could even be a substitute for some Animal Planet shows. Like to watch those doggies happily wag their tails in anticipation of a treat for a job well done? Might even qualify for Lettermen's Stupid Human tricks.

Or maybe seeing the movie "Midnight Express" should be a criterion for issuing a passport or a boarding pass.

Steve

Until Enchantment.
Until Inspiration
Sensation 2/03
Old August 5th, 2003, 03:11 PM
hcat

VERY BAD IDEA--not every country will give you a free lawyer, phone calls & a slap on the wrist for bad behavior, etc...know before you go.!
Old August 5th, 2003, 05:04 PM
First Mate

Man... tough room.

I would be careful in general on Jamaica. I hear it can be dicey in some areas.

This may be a naive question but is it illegal on the island to use? Being that seems to be their biggest export, I would think its ok on the island.

I would definately not bring it on board. You get caught with it onboard and you will get kicked off the ship.

Old August 6th, 2003, 12:02 PM
my$.02

Are you guys for real? Until it is legal, smuggeling it will be illegal. Why was the post deleted, can you really not answer that yourself?

It is against the ships regulations, but yet you think a post that goes against that is your "freedom of speech"? There is a WAY higher majority of people who come on these that oppose it vs. favor it. Have some respct for them also.

I am not saying I am against what you are trying to do, but this forum is not the correct one to do it in, then get upset because things did not go your way.

As the saying goes "There is a place and time for everything".
Old August 6th, 2003, 07:19 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Jamica and drugs

Actually yes it is illegal to use on Jamacia. They usually do not enforce it against locals in the countryside as there is a religion that promotes it's use. If you were to wander around Ocho Rios or Mo Bay smoking a joint you just might end up in prison!
Jim

Old August 6th, 2003, 07:26 PM
Admiral

$.02 , maybe their mionds have become dulled by the drug. The reason they were deleted was plainly explained in that we will not promote illegal activities here. Also it would seem logical that most could figure out it was I who deleted the posts encouraging illegal behaviour. Freedom of speech is one thing, but it does not apply to using someone elses 'equipment' to do so. We have both a legal and more importantly a moral obligation to make these boards helpful and family orientated. Personal opinions have nothing to do with it.
Jim

Old August 6th, 2003, 07:52 PM
Admiral

Jim, make no apologies for deleting the posts. It was plain that they came from a fried mind anyway.
Some people just have to learn the hard way. Yes, many, many people get away with buying drugs in the Caribbean. Every now and then one gets caught. I really have no pity for the ones that do, but I sure would hate to be the one in jail in Jamica or some of the other islands.

Wasn't it Richard Pryor who said " I been sniffin' coke for 20 years and ain't hooked yet "?

Reminds me of some people who smoke pot for years and years but deny they are hooked.
Old August 7th, 2003, 06:51 AM
kody

Can you spell S-T-U-P-I-D !!!! Why ruin a great vaction. I am in law enforcement (Federal) and have worked with many foreign countries!!!! In Jamaica, not only will the locals set you up after they sell, they will steal from you and can be very violent (not saying all locals are bad). Even if your looking they may send you "over there" to do the deal and it then becomes a rip off, your not only beaten, but your watch, jewerly, passport, money etc. is GONE!!!!! You really need to watch where you go. I have been there before and a local wanted me to change a $100 bill for him, what, so I could get a counterfeit $100 bill. That is another thing, take a good look at your money, know hat the security features are because even if you do buy something with american cash, your change may not be genuine and that should be any where.

I am still in shock......drugs..... how stupid!!!

The others are correct too, their jails are not country clubs like ours. Even our holding cells are better and here you have rights, but not there.

One cruise I was on, the couple in the cabin next to us had puchased only cuban cigars (I think he smoked them before we docked back in Miami, that is OK from what I understand) Needless to say, customs was in their room conducting a sweep prior to their check out. Thankfully for them, nothing was found.

Anyway, do what you want, but remember everyone here warned you ahead of time.
Old August 7th, 2003, 11:49 AM
kd

At least drinking is LEGAL!!!! And if your not driving who cares if you have one to many. Any way why would I care if you get busted. The locals in Jamaica are known for selling then tipping off the police.

GOOD LUCK!!!!
Old August 7th, 2003, 01:03 PM
First Mate

You would have to be an idiot to take a chance at ruining your and your families cruise by buying drugs in another country. Not to mention all the money wasted on a ruined vacation.

Drugs are illegal...................drinking is not, as long as you are not driving and not hurting anyone that is.

Your thought process shows you have had one to many "j's"

Royal Caribbean - Navigator of the Seas - 9/27/2003
Old August 7th, 2003, 08:38 PM
Mikey Sr.

If they don't get you in Jamica, they will surely get you in Miami or another U.S. port. My wife, son and I saw two men being taken off the Ms Ecstacy in 1998 by DEA agents when the ship was docked at the old navy dock at key West. Don't think for a minute the cruise lines don't cooperate with U.S. law enforcement. They find drugs in you cabin, expect for a party to be waiting to search you luggage and take you into custody.
Old August 8th, 2003, 05:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

Rent MIDNIGHT EXPRESS and then you might rethink buying drugs in in a foreign country.

If you decide to do it..then you will really be someone's MON in a Jamaican Jail
Old August 8th, 2003, 10:46 AM
NJmatt

Bad idea mon....like Kuki said buy em and you are history...they will put you in jail for
a very very long time...Jamaica would be the last place you would want to be incarcerated in.
Old August 8th, 2003, 01:05 PM
hcat

I work in a Court & today we had someone BUSTED at the local airport. Had marijuana in his carry on & the drug smiffing dog got him! Why ruin your vacation?
Old August 8th, 2003, 01:51 PM
browezilla

Why don't we let this topic drift into history. Do you really want to offer advice to someone looking to break the law?