Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 4th, 2003, 07:14 PM
Marie G.

Default Making phone calls

Hi!! I would appreciate any info anyone can give me.My children will be taking a cruise soon on the Navigator with their Dad and his family and I am trying to find out if they are able to make collect calls to me from the ship and if there would be any kind of charge to them for that at the end of the cruise.I just don't want their Dad to have a big surprise bill at the end. And also if any knows anything about the emailing service on board,please let me know.Thanks so much for any help you can give!!!!
Marie
Sponsored Links
Old August 4th, 2003, 09:06 PM
Browezilla

Default Re: Making phone calls

Phone calls from the ship are VERY EXPENSIVE! I've heard of around $12/min. Buy them some prepaid cards at Sam's club or similar warehouse. Sam's club has them for 3 cents/minute. They can use them on land, and they won't get 3 cents a minute outside of the US, but it won't be anywhere near as expensive as calling from the ship. Email on the ship is expensive too. I think you buy time on the machine/net by the hour or 1/2. The cheapest phone calls are to buy a calling card within the country you're visiting, but this can take some time to find the card. Note, any collect call or operator assisted call from another country is going to be $s/minute, so I would avoid that if you can.
Old August 5th, 2003, 09:31 AM
Emilie

Default Re: Re: Making phone calls

Try this instead:

all kids use AIM or some such these days --- my last two cruises my kids got online in the evening for 15 min and chatted with their friends-- Maybe stay by your computer, and when they log in -- time for a nice chat -- tons cheaper than a phone call ! I am clueless how to do this, but all kids seem to know how anymore. Have them set up your computer with their screen names , etc. before they go --
Old August 5th, 2003, 08:10 PM
Marie G.

Default Re: Re: Re: Making phone calls

That is what I was thinking too! Do you remember by chance what they charged for using the internet onboard. Thanks for your help!!
Marie
Old August 6th, 2003, 11:49 PM
Sooshie

The ship to shore calls start at $12/minute. We take our cell phone and just use it while in port. You will need to check with your wireless service to make sure that they
take off the restriction to use your phone in the islands. Depending on where you are going this can be very inexpensive. Watch the calling cards...in some ports it is very confusing to use them (which is what they want) and you'll see those 10-10 numbers or a tollfree number to use to connect your call. When I did that and got home they had charged me $120 for an 11 minute call. Plan ahead is my best advise.
Old August 6th, 2003, 11:54 PM
Monte

I didn't use the internet this past weekend on the cruise, but I did see where it was 50 cents per minute.
Old August 8th, 2003, 10:49 AM
First Mate

Internet is definitely the way to go. You can use their terminals for .50 a minute or you can get unlimited usage in the room for around $100-120 if I recall.

Cell phone is a good option from many islands (I was able to use my cell from San Juan with no additional fees) but service from island to island differs based on what carrier you use. Some islands offer 3rd party service that prompt you when you dial out but I found it difficult to get rate info. Prepay phone card bought prior to sailing is probably best bet.

Old August 8th, 2003, 11:43 AM
Passenger

Not to sound mean or cruel but you can't go 7 days w/out talking to your children? Let them enjoy their vacation and tell you all about it when they get back. Get them a journal so they can write everything down. They can call you that Friday before the sail while in Miami and the following Friday to let you know they made it back OK.

I hope this doesn't sound mean. That is not my intention.
Old August 15th, 2003, 03:15 PM
Passenger

We always take along AT&T Prepaid Calling Cards - purchased at Sam's Club
for less than 4 cents a minute. In 2000, we were able to use them
in Cozumel (at Ladatel phones) and Grand Cayman (Cable and Wireless phones).
And in 2001 at St. Thomas and St. Martin.
St Thomas did have an AT&T phone center just a few blocks from the pier.

HOWEVER, last year (2002), we could not find a pay phone in
Georgetown Grand Cayman or Cozumel that would let us dial out
to AT&T's system. The bank of pay phones by the tender pier in
Georgetown was no longer there. Tried the pay phones outside
of the Cable and Wireless office a few blocks away, and the
1-800 number to AT&T had been blocked. Guess C&W caught on...

Would appreciate any recent info on calling the USA from Caribbean ports...

Thanks!