Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 12th, 2003, 02:19 PM
Passenger

Default Labadee - Waverunner vs. Parasailing vs. ?

My husband is thinking of doing either the Waverunner or Parasailing excursion.

How hard are these excursions on the lower back?

If they are too hard on the back and we choose to sign up for no excursions, is there anything else to do in Labadee besides sitting on the beach?

Thanks,

Linda
Sponsored Links
Old August 12th, 2003, 02:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Labadee - Waverunner vs. Parasailing vs. ?

Hi Linda,
We had a blast on the waverunners, so my vote is to do that. Didn't have any problems with the back, but do be careful when you go fast, you sometimes take on air and when you come back down, it could be bouncy, so may-be take it easy. You can both share in the driving.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 12th, 2003, 04:52 PM
First Mate

Neither should be too bad on the back. Between the 2, parasailing should be a bit easier. You basically start from the seated position on teh back of the boat and drift up. You land very softly on the back. No experience necessary. The boat could be a bit jerky when they are putting the others up on the sail since they must go fast and you only get about 5-10 minutes up on the sail but it is an awesome experience while you are up there.

The waverunner hops up and down a bit on the waves so if you have a severe back problem, it might be harder. Other things to do are fairly limited to eating, snorkeling (not too good there) or the other excursion goes to a small island for snorkeling or just relaxing. My favorite activity on Labadee is napping in a hamock near dragons rock. There is also a local 'market' to so some shopping for local crafts but prepare to be ambushed.

Old August 12th, 2003, 08:00 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Labadee - Waverunner vs. Parasailing vs. ?

Thanks Donna and Jason (Only 17 days! Have a good one!)

I'm staying on the beach and my husband (who has a bad back) has decided to risk the parasailing.

I have a few follow-up questions, but I've asked those in a separate post.

Linda
Old August 12th, 2003, 08:54 PM
**Lindsay**

I was wondering what the cost the wave runners and the parasailing was??

We were in cozomel and got two wave runners for an hour for 120.00 for both.
Never tired parasailing but might this time.

Thanks
Lindsay
Old August 12th, 2003, 09:07 PM
Admiral

I think the waverunner tour was $99 for each, and that was 2 years ago, so it may be different now, but it was well worth the money.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 12th, 2003, 09:31 PM
Passenger

The price has gone up. This is from the online description:

Approximate Duration: 50 Minutes
Adult: 136.00 (CAD) | Child: 136.00 (CAD)

Guided by a SeaTrek instructor, the 50-minute adventure takes you zooming along Labadee's coast for the ride of a lifetime! Minimum age to drive is 16 years with a valid drivers license. All riders between the ages of 10-15 years must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. The maximum combined weight must not exceed 375 lbs. This is an adventure you don't want to miss! Waverunner price includes the driver and 1 passenger. Reserve 1 waverunner for each driver only. NOTE: MINIMUM AGE TO DRIVE IS 16 YEARS WITH A VALID DRIVERS LICENSE. IF UNDER 21 YEARS OF AGE, YOU MUST SHOW PROOF OF LICENSE. Minimum age to participate is 10 years of age.

Linda
Old August 12th, 2003, 10:20 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Labadee - Waverunner vs. Parasailing vs. ?

You should really try the parasailing! To quote seal, "In a world full of people only some want to fly, isn't that crazy?"

Old August 13th, 2003, 08:00 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Labadee - Waverunner vs. Parasailing vs. ?

My apologies Donna and Lindsay... the $136 is in Canadian funds and the $99 is in US funds (which most people on this board will paying with). Wasn't thinking.

Jason, I want to do both the parasailing and Waverunner but I've had neck surgery for two herniated discs. I have a metal plate in my neck holding my neck vertebrae together. Too risky. If my neck gets a good jolt, I will spend the rest of the cruise, and possibly my life, flat on my back. Unfortunately, these are excursions I'll have to pass up

Linda
Old August 13th, 2003, 11:12 AM
browezilla

Donna,

Could you elaborate on the WaveRunner excursion. $99 for fifty minutes for 2 people comes out to $2/minute per waver runner. That seems awefully steep to me unless they really add something to the excursion to make it worth the expense. I had about talked myself out of it due to the $2/minute.
Old August 13th, 2003, 02:28 PM
Admiral

Hi Browezilla,
If I remember correctly, the tour probibaly was about an hour, but you have to watch a video and get instructions before you even get on the waverunner, so its more like almost 2 hours I think. We just thought it was a great way to see more of the island and get a little history, the guides do fill you in on some of the local customs/history, very interesting. On the way back you get to drive around the ship and get a real close up view of it, then it really seemed large. I thought the excursion was well worth the money, have rented waverunners on other islands and it at least $50 for half an hour, so this seemed about right

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 13th, 2003, 08:07 PM
Browezilla

Thanks Donna,

I've been on the fence with this excursion, but then I have nothing else I'm doing on Labadee. I may give this one a try. Thanks for the details.