Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 18th, 2003, 08:53 PM
shorething

Default Aft Cabins - Voyager Class

Looking for advice on the aft staterooms on Voyager class ships. In the book, it looks like the balconies are recessed from the actual end of the ship -- like there's a space, and then the actual end of the ship. What is that? We're planning a cruise on the Mariner, and like aft cabins on other cruise lines. We like big balconies with lounge chairs. Can anyone recommend any of these staterooms?
Sponsored Links
Old August 18th, 2003, 10:58 PM
Ginnie

Default Re: Aft Cabins - Voyager Class

We are sailing on the Navigator in November and were originally booked in an aft cabin on deck 9. I sailed the ship for 2 nights (pre-inaugural) and saw 2 aft cabins, didn't like them and switched to midship on the outer bump.
We had stayed in aft cabins on the Grandeur and loved it, but the Voyager class ships do have an area beyond the balcony railing, which means you are not looking down to the sea from your railing. This area, between your balcony railing and the end of the ship, is large and some have obstructions like poles etc.
I know that many of you don't agree with me, but I personally do NOT like the stern cabins on the Voyager class ships, because of this area. The balconies are muich larger than on the port or starbard side, but this mystery space is not to my liking.
Ginnie
Old August 19th, 2003, 11:23 AM
shorething

Default Re: Re: Aft Cabins - Voyager Class

You answered my question! That's exactly what I was afraid of. I typically like the aft cabins, and the bigger balcony sounds great -- but I don't want that "mystery" space. With an aft cabin, I want to look down and see the water. I will pick another location. Thanks very much for your reply.
Old August 19th, 2003, 11:37 AM
my$.02

Try cabin 7688, you get the best of both worlds. Ocean down on the side, and a big balcony. You have a side "port hole" and a large aft facing balcony.

I have heard nothing but good things about this cabin, and have it for a Jan. sailing on Nav.
Old August 19th, 2003, 12:02 PM
shorething

Does the balcony actually extend all the way to the side of the ship so you can look right down at the water?
Old August 19th, 2003, 03:14 PM
Passenger

http://community.webshots.com/album/48328219CtbGLi

Cut and paste the above URL to get to my gallery of aft photos of Voyager-class ships! Most of the corner/aft cabins do go all the way to the rail and you can look down at the water. Even with the odd framework, most of these are great balconies! Enjoy
Old August 19th, 2003, 04:09 PM
First Mate

I had a suite on the back and the view was obstructed very badly by steel beams. Make sure you check the particular room. I prefer to be closer to the middle. Inevitably, you forget something in the room and you have to walk twice the distance back there. I prefer to exercise in the gym or the basketball court, not walking through the halls.

Old August 19th, 2003, 07:35 PM
shorething

Bonnie Voyager:
Thank you so much for the great pictures. It really gives one a better idea of what the aft cabins are like - and difficult to choose. Do you have prioritized preferences?
Old August 20th, 2003, 06:33 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Aft Cabins - Voyager Class

My preferred aft cabins on Voyager-class ships are:
1688/1388 followed by 7688/7388. I like to have some shade on my balcony and all these have some shade and some sun. I prefer corner balconies but would also be fine with the next cabin over on decks 8 and above. I'd sleep in the broom closet though, if it meant I could go on an extra cruise ;-)
Old August 20th, 2003, 09:13 AM
shorething

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Aft Cabins - Voyager Class

Bonnie Voyager:
One last check. I talked to my TA and she checked with RC about the sizes of the aft balconies. They say the square footage is listed as the same, although the diagram in the brochure does look larger. These aft balconies are definitely bigger than the ones on the sides of the ship (say comparing category E1), right? Looking at pictures of the E1 balconies on the side, I don't see lounge chairs (nor space for them). Am I right?
Thanks again.
Old August 20th, 2003, 11:11 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Aft Cabins - Voyager Class

shorething, believe me, aft balconies are much bigger than side balconies ;-) Did you check out my pictures? The URL is in one of the above posts!

Enjoy!!!
Old August 21st, 2003, 12:00 PM
Veronica & Mitch

Mike M:

Don't worry, you'll love 1694.

We are booked on the Mariner in May 04 in 1694, and this will be our 3rd cruise on voyager class ships...all in this stateroom!

Veronica & Mitch
Old August 21st, 2003, 07:19 PM
shorething

We're going for 7688 on the Mariner. A little nervous, but saw two recommendations in the message boards, so that helps! Thanks for the pictures that have been shared.
Old August 22nd, 2003, 08:41 AM
First Mate

You will like the 7688 balcony on the Mariner. We have had it on Voyager, Explorer, Adventure, Navigator and have it booked on Mariner for its second sailing this November.
Old August 22nd, 2003, 08:47 AM
Passenger

Great ship!
Old August 24th, 2003, 10:01 PM
NDJollyMon

Dan

Have any pics of Cabin 7688 on Navigator? I am booked in that cabin for Dec.

NDJollyMon
Old August 25th, 2003, 06:49 AM
First Mate

Hi NDJollyMon,

The resolution (ultimately, file size) of the photos I took (over 800) are too large to post here. I tried. I can email you directly with a slide show if you like. Are you more interested in the room or the balcony?

Have a wonderful cruise.

Dan
Old August 25th, 2003, 08:34 AM
NDJollyMon

Dan
I'm interested in seeing some of the better balcony and room shots. Maybe you could just email a couple of them if it's not too much trouble? Do you have them posted anywhere?
Thanks
NDJollyMon@yahoo.com
Old August 25th, 2003, 12:36 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Aft Cabins - Voyager Class

If you want to reduce the file size, here are a couple of options:

1) open the file in your viewer/editor software (Microsoft photo editor is probably the easiest to use) click on image>Resize
Make the image smaller.

2) Click file>save as>there should be a "more" or "advanced options" tab with a jpeg quality factor. Lower the quality factor before you save and save it with another name. Be sure to change the name and not to overwrite the original.

Hope this helps.